Default I guess Duke is on the One-and-Done train now?

Seemed like Duke wasn't interested in the One-and-Done players for awhile, seemingly trying to get guys who would stay in College more than 1 year. This year they brought in Jabari Parker, who is obviously a One-and-Done player, and next season they will bring in the #1 and #4 HS prospects, who are also most likely gone after one season.

I have no problem with Duke getting all the talent they can. I guess I'm just kind of surprised that Coach K is chasing the One-and-Doners now.

Default Re: I guess Duke is on the One-and-Done train now?

Just adapting to the current situation of recruiting.

Although Parker is more in the Harrison Barnes type of breed of "one and done" types of recruits. Wouldn't even surprise me if he stayed for his sophomore year, like Barnes. And Kyrie kind of blew up. I don't remember many people thinking he was one and done before the season started. Tyus Jones was always favoring them the entire time as well, and I'm going to guess he convinced Okafor more than anything K could have done.

Rivers is really the only one who fits the "One-and-Done train" mold. At least with how I think of the term (Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, Josh Selby.. Get me to the NBA as quickly as possible).

no point on them losing out on top players. they are adapting to the way college basketball is being played, and I'm not talking about the game between the lines.

If they want to stay relevant they need the stars at the end of the day. It's not like Coach K can't churn out future NBA players at a rate that Cal does. He just had to fight against Duke being perceived as a school that you go to for 4 years. Those days are done. Them getting Jones and Okafor...unreal. They are going to be good, Jones especially, having Coack K as his coach is going to open his game up so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Seemed like Duke wasn't interested in the One-and-Done players for awhile, seemingly trying to get guys who would stay in College more than 1 year. This year they brought in Jabari Parker, who is obviously a One-and-Done player, and next season they will bring in the #1 and #4 HS prospects, who are also most likely gone after one season.

I have no problem with Duke getting all the talent they can. I guess I'm just kind of surprised that Coach K is chasing the One-and-Doners now.
    I think it's more to do with the fact that he didn't get them for awhile, so he acted like he didn't want them. I'm pretty sure he threw his hat in the ring for every player he thought he could get.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I think it's more to do with the fact that he didn't get them for awhile, so he acted like he didn't want them. I'm pretty sure he threw his hat in the ring for every player he thought he could get.

-Smak
    No K didn't focus one and dones befores Irving.

Well you guys did recruit Brandan Wright. Remember that clearly since it was Tobacco Road battle for him and many thought you guys led the way up to his announcement.

Kyle Singler was rsci #6 in that 1 and done 2007 class. Mayo, Love, Gordon, Beasley, Rose, then Singler, Bayless, and Greene were your top 9. Then Hickson, Koufos, Jordan, and Randolph were also 1 and done, I think. Was it 11 of the top 15 left after 1 year? Singler was the only single digit ranking who returned.

Then I know Patrick Patterson and Greg Monroe were heavily recruited. Neither ended up 1 and done, but many thought they could or would be in high school.

And, of course, Harrison Barnes. Though that was the Kyrie Irving class.

I don't think Coach K thought Irving would be a one-and-done player. I know he didn't think Rivers would be a one-and-done player... because there is no way that kid was ready for the NBA.