Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Reasons why Barkley might be the greatest offensive player of all time

1. 28.3ppg on 16.0fga. 66.5%ts. 128 Ortg. GOAT efficiency for a volume scorer.

2. Sure, plenty of players scored more personally, but how many players did so while also lifting team mates to the extent that Barkley did?

Here's a list of players who scored more ppg alongside Barkley than at any other point in their careers.
    - Maurice Cheeks
    - Hersey Hawkins
    - Johnny Dawkins
    - Mike Gminski
    - Ron Anderson
    - Armen Gilliam

Other players who's scoring went up when they joined Barkley and immediately dropped again when they were separated.
    - Rick Mahorn
    - Ricky Green

The above list is basically everyone he played with from 88 to 92. Barkley's presence on court enabled every single player to score more. No one's scoring took a dip. Not even a marginal one. Everyone he played with had their career years with him. That is the kind of impact that stats don't capture. I dare say it's unprecedented.

3. Barkley led teams, with above group of misfits at options 2 through 5, to the 2nd best offense in the league in back to back years. Only behind the Showtime Lakers. When he moved to the suns, they had the #1 offense in the league 3 straight years.

Has anyone else ever had this level of offensive team impact?

Default Re: Reasons why Barkley might be the greatest offensive player of all time

Pretty sure he had the GOAT single season for ORtg - DRtg = net, all time

Default Re: Reasons why Barkley might be the greatest offensive player of all time

them PHX boys something else

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

The GOAT Offensive Powerforward

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

In terms of offensive impact Barkley is the greatest out of PF/C

But in terms of all time i have Curry,LeBron,Jordan,Nash and Magic ahead of Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98
    In terms of offensive impact Barkley is the greatest out of PF/C

But in terms of all time i have Curry,LeBron,Jordan,Nash and Magic ahead of Barkley
    Lol at having Lebron up with Curry and Jordan.

Keep this thread about Barkley, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSteve
    1. 28.3ppg on 16.0fga. 66.5%ts. 128 Ortg. GOAT efficiency for a volume scorer.

2. Sure, plenty of players scored more personally, but how many players did so while also lifting team mates to the extent that Barkley did?

Here's a list of players who scored more ppg alongside Barkley than at any other point in their careers.
    - Maurice Cheeks
    - Hersey Hawkins
    - Johnny Dawkins
    - Mike Gminski
    - Ron Anderson
    - Armen Gilliam

Other players who's scoring went up when they joined Barkley and immediately dropped again when they were separated.
    - Rick Mahorn
    - Ricky Green

The above list is basically everyone he played with from 88 to 92. Barkley's presence on court enabled every single player to score more. No one's scoring took a dip. Not even a marginal one. Everyone he played with had their career years with him. That is the kind of impact that stats don't capture. I dare say it's unprecedented.

3. Barkley led teams, with above group of misfits at options 2 through 5, to the 2nd best offense in the league in back to back years. Only behind the Showtime Lakers. When he moved to the suns, they had the #1 offense in the league 3 straight years.

Has anyone else ever had this level of offensive team impact?
    Point #2 is weak. For example, Dawkins only played 4 games. Anderson increased his minutes. Gminski had career high that one season but other seasons with Barkley wasn't as good. Did Barkley not lift him up anymore? Also we really gonna count Cheeks whose entire prime is playing with Barkley?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    Lol at having Lebron up with Curry and Jordan.

Keep this thread about Barkley, kid.
    Title of the thread is Barkley might be the greatest offensive player ever which he isn't

The five players that i named are better than Barkley offensively

But i agree he's the GOAT offensive PF/C

Title of the thread is Barkley might be the greatest offensive player ever which he isn't

The five players that i named are better than Barkley offensively

But i agree he's the GOAT offensive PF/C
    He's great, offensively. I still think Shaq and Wilt make it difficult for him to be considered a better offensive player when it comes to PF/C. I'd limit it to PF.

Very good NBA starter

Barkley was what everyone hopes Zion will be (but won't).

Barkley had one offensive weakness: 3-point shooting.

Everything else was elite, including jump shooting out to the 3 point line.

If Barkley had simply an average 3 point shot, he'd be extremely difficult to defend today. Impossible to guard with this much spacing today.

Never had a 50 point game in the regular season...never shot better than 33% from the 3pt line..but he's the GOAT offensive player...ok then

Harden >>> Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    He's great, offensively. I still think Shaq and Wilt make it difficult for him to be considered a better offensive player when it comes to PF/C. I'd limit it to PF.
    Shaq and Wilt don't elevate the entire offense like Barkley

Dirk?

So, it was Kobe who elevated the entire offense?

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Default Re: Reasons wphy Barkley might be the greatest offensive player of all time

Quote Originally Posted by BlakFrankWhite
    Never had a 50 point game in the regular season...never shot better than 33% from the 3pt line..but he's the GOAT offensive player...ok then

Harden >>> Barkley
    He had a 56 point game in the play-offs. And overall in a time where it was more physical and there was handchecking. Infact, in that 56 point game he was guarded pushing two hands on him by Gatling in some plays. He also had a 44 and 24 game and a 43-15-10 game. Healthy and Prime Barkley was something else!