Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Will Carmelo Anthony Go Down As GOAT Clutch Player Ever?

I'll attempt to actually answer your question.

What we know is that Melo has already proven himself to be clutch on a small scale.

But as someone previously mentioned his playoff performances have left a little something to be desired. For people to elevate him into the pantheon of a Michael, Isaiah, Brid, or any other great playoff performer he's going to have to develop the ability to elevate his game when it matters most while leading his team to something significant in the postseason. Like I said before he's already done that on a small scale (regular season) so there is some precedent.

To be fair this a question that none of us could possibly answer no matter how far fetched it may be because we don't know what's going to happen in the future.

I personally think he could be labeled as a great playoff performer when the final chapter of his career is written. As for going down as the greatest to ever do it? I doubt it but anything is possible.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brwnman
    Actually it's really not that funny. Especially this year where Melo has been playing hurt and is putting numbers inferior to Bosh's. But beyond the numbers, a lot of people would still prefer Bosh, because he offers more value to a team (PF to a SF). It's not laughable either way, because it definitely depends on what your team needs are. But pretty sure, Toronto nor Denver fans would want to trade their superstars for each other straight up...

I like Bosh and he is a very good player but he just lacks that game changing ability. When your team is down by 8 in the 4th quarter Melo is going to take over I don't see Bosh doing the same thing. But that being said I'm a Denver fan and I've had the chance to watch more of Melo so my opinion isn't 100% accurate just something I have noticed.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HisJoeness
    I'll attempt to actually answer your question.

What we know is that Melo has already proven himself to be clutch on a small scale.

But as someone previously mentioned his playoff performances have left a little something to be desired. For elevate him into the pantheon of a Michael, Isaiah, Brid, or any other great playoff performer he's going to have to develop the ability to elevate his game when it matters most while leading his team to something significant in the postseason. Like I said before he's already done that on a small scale (regular season) so there is some precedent.

To be fair this a question that none of us could possibly answer no matter how far fetched it may be because we don't know what's going to happen in the future.

I personally think he could be labeled as a great playoff performer when the final chapter of his career is written. As for going down as the greatest to ever do it? I doubt it but anything is possible.
    This. Melo still has 10+ years left in this league and he has been improving since day 1, anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    I like Bosh and he is a very good player but he just lacks that game changing ability. When your team is down by 8 in the 4th quarter Melo is going to take over I don't see Bosh doing the same thing. But that being said I'm a Denver fan and I've had the chance to watch more of Melo so my opinion isn't 100% accurate just something I have noticed.
    Again, that's a common misconception. Bosh's clutch stats aren't bad and he plays good throughout the game (and in the final final moments of the game - it's a wing's game - no arguing that). I get all the games that are on Altitude and I see plenty of Denver games year in and year out. It's easy to see Melo hasn't been 100% this, his shot has been off. But he's passing better, making better decisions and even boarding better. I like Melo too, but it depends on what the team needs are and everything being equal, Bosh becomes more valuable to a team more than Melo just because he is a big.

As I've said though, it all depends on team needs; but to say something as ridiculous as "LOL at anyone....." - now that's just ignorant...

70% of the time......Is that true or did you make that up out of thin air?

College star

bosh gets the same treatment KG got when he was the only guy on his team with the wolves. KG was criticized over and over for being anti clutch and disapearing in the 4th while duncan was dominating. The thing people forget to look at is, Duncan has always had great guards/sf to play with and during the final seconds of a game, those guys are the ones that create shots and get open. The bigs get stopped and can't create a shot...

oh, and Bosh>>Carmelo any day.

Quote Originally Posted by brwnman
    Again, that's a common misconception. Bosh's clutch stats aren't bad and he plays good throughout the game (and in the final final moments of the game - it's a wing's game - no arguing that). I get all the games that are on Altitude and I see plenty of Denver games year in and year out. It's easy to see Melo hasn't been 100% this, his shot has been off. But he's passing better, making better decisions and even boarding better. I like Melo too, but it depends on what the team needs are and everything being equal, Bosh becomes more valuable to a team more than Melo just because he is a big.

As I've said though, it all depends on team needs; but to say something as ridiculous as "LOL at anyone....." - now that's just ignorant...

I agree with the point that someone thinking one is much better than the other is stupid because like you said it all depends on team needs. I'd just personally take Melo because in the 4th quarter regardless if he is 5-20 that night he is going to go into attack mode and when I watch the Raptors Bosh always seems to disappear like that one game were Moon took that retarded 3. It's not even about the stats it's just something I have noticed. I haven't seen every Raptor game but I have league pass so I'll catch a few games. Personally I think the Raptors would straight up trade Bosh for Melo and it would be Denver who would turn the trade down but once again thats just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RajonKGcelts
    70% of the time......Is that true or did you make that up out of thin air?

It's actually pretty close to 70% I think hovering about like .640 or something along those lines.

Local High School Star

I could think of 20 more clutch players in the nba right now

I Grift

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo

Kobe and MJ are Tied with 26 Game Winners even though for every Game Winner Kobe Hits he misses like 8, Not sure about Jordan Too Young to Remember.
    Jordan was more clutch than Wade or Bryant.

With Wade or Bryant you know they are gonna take the final shot, but you still wonder whether they will make it.

With Jordan you knew he was gonna take the shot and you were surprised when he missed, and if he did miss you felt that the other team got lucky.
    Last edited by A. Blackmon; 02-05-2009 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spursdynasty420
    I could think of 20 more clutch players in the nba right now

You can think of 20 more players who have been more clutch this year

Good luck.

I Grift

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    [COLOR="Lime"]
    -The most dominant PG ever (Paul)
    and from now on
    GOAT era, by far. [/COLOR]

Your a real jerk if you think Chris Paul is better than Magic or Zeke. How many rings does Paul have? He hasn't even made the Finals.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by A. Blackmon

Your a real jerk if you think Chris Paul is better than Magic or Zeke. How many rings does Paul have? He hasn't even made the Finals.
    i think he was being sarcastic.....idk

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    I agree with the point that someone thinking one is much better than the other is stupid because like you said it all depends on team needs. I'd just personally take Melo because in the 4th quarter regardless if he is 5-20 that night he is going to go into attack mode and when I watch the Raptors Bosh always seems to disappear like that one game were Moon took that retarded 3. It's not even about the stats it's just something I have noticed. I haven't seen every Raptor game but I have league pass so I'll catch a few games. Personally I think the Raptors would straight up trade Bosh for Melo and it would be Denver who would turn the trade down but once again thats just my opinion.
    Maybe if Toronto was planning on keeping JO and Bargnani which isn't the case. But then again, if Denver had no PF (meaning no K-Mart) and they had another SF on the rise like a Travis Outlaw, they would do it straight up to. It has to do more with the Raptors lack of contributing players on the wings. Joey Graham is starting to become a good rotation player, but that's all he is, a rotation player, not a dependable guy year in year out...

NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

man i hate threads like this. all it does it shift attention from how good melo is and how clutch he really is to talking about how stupid it is to call him the GOAT clutchest player of all time, etc crap like that.

melo is a clutch player. period. not the greatest of all time but still very good. dont use the fact that hes not THE greatest clutch player ever against him. thats stupid.