Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Someone explain to me how Brook Lopez was a good pick at number 10?

With the 3 draft picks, the Nets will now have NINE players on their roster who have been with the team less than 12 months. Actually only VC and Nenad will have been with the team more than 2 years.

Now THAT's an overhaul.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    I think people are forgetting a couple things about Brook...

The kid is 20 years old coming off of his Sophmore year, only Freshman have more "potential".

Stanford was expected to suck. Brook was the one of the only offensive options on the team and was constantly double teamed, hurting his FG%.

It's the #10 pick... the Nets both filled a need and took arguably the BPA or the best big BPA. I wouldn't have minded Bayless, but Brook is still a good pick.

Starting calibur centers are rare, and the Nets did not arguably have one given Boone's limitations and Krstic's injury history and FA status. The rest of the bigs on the Nets are PFs. Brook is a rare "true" center.

All say and done the Nets added 3 players that combined for around 60 points and 25 rebounds in college... not a bad draft.
    True centers shouldn't shoot under 47% against much smaller players regardless. I don't care how much he's doubled. There is no reason why a big man who was picked in the lottery couldn't have shot 50% or better.

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    True centers shouldn't shoot under 47% against much smaller players regardless. I don't care how much he's doubled. There is no reason why a big man who was picked in the lottery couldn't have shot 50% or better.
    The Pac10 waa arguable the best conference in the country last season, especially for big men:

USC
    Cal
    Arizona
    UCLA
    Stanford
    Washington State

[QUOTE]

NBA rookie of the year

Regardless the players were smaller than brook and only 1 or 2 of them had legit NBA talent so for him to shoot under 47% is pathetic for a lottery pick.

Regardless the players were smaller than brook and only 1 or 2 of them had legit NBA talent so for him to shoot under 47% is pathetic for a lottery pick.
    Dude whatever.. I almost look forward to the day VC is traded so his fair-weather fans can leave the Nets bandwagon.

NBA rookie of the year

Dude whatever.. I almost look forward to the day VC is traded so his fair-weather fans can leave the Nets bandwagon.
    I look forward to the day when retards who try to justify a 7 footer shooting under 47% against smaller D-League level players just give up and end their life. Seriously there is no way to justify that, big men are supposed to dominate smaller players not get pushed around by them and shoot poor %.

Seriously, what bandwagon? A team that won 34 games last year and 41 the year before? A team that missed the playoffs in the East?

I look forward to the day when retards who try to justify a 7 footer shooting under 47% against smaller D-League level players just give up and end their life. Seriously there is no way to justify that, big men are supposed to dominate smaller players not get pushed around by them and shoot poor %.

Seriously, what bandwagon? A team that won 34 games last year and 41 the year before? A team that missed the playoffs in the East?
    Which Pac-10 teams have D-League level big men?

No, the Nets have VC bandwagon, where the fans think the team revolves around VC and getting him a ring now, despite how unrealistic it may be.

And I'm trying to at least educate you on one stat you seem fixated on, while the reality is Brook Lopez was a good pick for the Nets on so many levels. Maybe you have unrealistic expectations for a #10 pick or a young Center?

Serious playground baller exaqtion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Randolph, Brandon Rush were all better. Even if they don't fit a need of your team, you can always trade them for something that does. Hibbert and Speights were also better big men. I don't like Koufos that much, but I have him higher than Lopez. No way I respect a 7 footer who shot under 47% in college.
    I disagree with that, anthony randolph way to soft, brandon rush only has a shot, nets dont need another scorer, dey got harris carter, hibbert is sooooooo slow and sucks, speights is alright, bayless...they dont need another pg. They have boone and kristic...aka "WHO"?

They needed a center badly, main point, he might not be as good but he can def. evolve into a better player then boone and kristic. You guys really havent gave him a chance, but thats just my opinion...By the way hey waz good im new lol

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    Which Pac-10 teams have D-League level big men?
    Most college players can't make the NBA. Only the best of them do. The NBA is the best of the best so if Brook shoots under 47% against those guys then what do you think he'll do against the best in the world in the NBA.

Name big men in the pac-10 that are legit NBA starters or key bench players?

No, the Nets have VC bandwagon, where the fans think the team revolves around VC and getting him a ring now, despite how unrealistic it may be.
    You honestly think I believe the team can win a ring now? They'll be lucky to win 40-42 games.

And I'm trying to at least educate you on one stat you seem fixated on, while the reality is Brook Lopez was a good pick for the Nets on so many levels. Maybe you have unrealistic expectations for a #10 pick or a young Center?
    I'm fixated on it because it's pathetic, 46.8 FG%? The Nets need a big man who is reliable inside.

dhdfhdfhdfhdfahdfhdhdhhlpofyuoyulk

qft

Sorry, I guess that's what happens when I stay logged in at my cousin's house and his kids are bored. (or maybe he was)

Most college players can't make the NBA. Only the best of them do. The NBA is the best of the best so if Brook shoots under 47% against those guys then what do you think he'll do against the best in the world in the NBA.

Name big men in the pac-10 that are legit NBA starters or key bench players?

You honestly think I believe the team can win a ring now? They'll be lucky to win 40-42 games.

I'm fixated on it because it's pathetic, 46.8 FG%? The Nets need a big man who is reliable inside.
    Allright.. first off, sorry VC, didn't mean to make the original insult about fair-weather fans... I'm having a male-PMS day today I think. The Nets need as many fans as possible (moreso at the arena) and given the wave of Yi fans about to hit I should be ready for it.

But back to the topic at hand...
    The Pac10 was the TOUGHEST conference and big man conference in college with the Lopez', Kevin Love, Devon Hardin, Ryan Anderson, etc...
    And as this article points out POSSIBLY THE BEST THE CONFERENCE HAS EVER BEEN.
    Think of the other names... Mayo, Bayless, Budinger, Collisson.... the list goes on and on.
    College basketball in tough divisions can be highly competitive and quality ball.

http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/st...v.347ad0e.html

"This league is the best it's ever been," UCLA coach Ben Howland said. "This league has the best players in the country, top to bottom. For sure, there are 10 to 12 first-round picks in this conference out of the starting 50, probably more. There's no weakness anywhere."
    Their arrival signaled the onset of a defensive shift in the league: Five teams are holding their opponents under 40 percent shooting this year, and programs that were once perennial Pac-10 lightweights are now NCAA tournament contenders.
    I feel like no matter what, even though you asked for an explantion for the FG%, nothing can sway your opinion on why this was still a good pick.
    I think you are fixated too much on it.

I'm also psyched about Ryan Anderson

Sophomore (2007-08): Earned first-team All-Pac-10 honors after becoming the seventh Cal player in the last 15 years to lead the conference in scoring (21.1 ppg) ... also third in rebounding with 9.9 per game ... named a second-team All-American by The Sporting News ... reached double figures in every game and scored at least 20 points 18 times ... had 30 points or more in four games - career-high 36 at Nevada, 33 at Washington, 32 vs. Arizona State and 30 against Arizona ... named Pac-10 Player of the week Dec. 3 and Feb. 4 ... also selected National Player of the Week by espn.com, The Sporting News and foxsports.com Feb. 4 when he led Cal to a pair of road wins at Washington State and Washington and averaged 30.0 ppg and 12.5 rpg ... voted to the Golden Bear Classic all-tournament team after finishing with 27 points and 12 rebounds vs. North Dakota State in the title game ... finished with 22 points and 16 rebounds in a win over Washington in the Pac-10 Tournament, getting 16 points and 13 boards in the second half ... had 26 points in the NIT opener vs. New Mexico ... named team MVP following the season.
    21.1 PPG
    49% FG%
    41% 3pt
    87% FT%
    9.9 RPG

And he just turned 20.

double post
    Last edited by ChuckOakley; 06-29-2008 at 09:02 PM.