NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Question Why do you have faith in the Triangle offense?

My question is for those that don't think scrapping the Triangle is essential to the Knicks making progress?

Default Re: Why do you have faith in the Triangle offense?

It will be a great system for Carmelo. A system that gets Carmelo starting in spots other than off the dribble from the 3 point line. A system that will give him options other than stand and shoot.

Carmelo's skillet fitting and the idea of team basketball. Yeah it's a good system for this team to build with. Still don't have the pieces to run it, but installing a base to go off is IMO always a good idea. It's not like they have to exclusively or even predominantly run it but it's the base and it's good for carmelo

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    It will be a great system for....
    The amount of time it take to develop a good shot doesn't concern you?

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    The amount of time it take to develop a good shot doesn't concern you?
    Did you wanted to say shot instead of good shot? What's the problem in taking time to get a GOOD shot?

Slow offenses are the ones that break down in the playoffs first. Post-season the defense's focus on stopping your best sets/concepts is kicked into overdrive. Those same actions that got you a good shot with 7 seconds left in January becomes a good look with 4 left i. the playoffs.

They're not running a strict triangle. They deviated from it a lot last year until Melo went totally down and our offense became less triangle and more cluster****. The summer league they aren't really running it. They didn't get players that only fit it. The only people thinking they are running this in this myopic way that will destroy the season are looking for it to do so. Or El Gringo who knows absolutely nothing about basketball. The fact that this discussion on if it works or not has been joined JUST by him should tell you all you need to know.

I don't have faith nor do i have concern. If it doesn't work, the Knicks will shift it. Not sure what people think the triangle is that makes it not easily changed around.

The offense isn't easily changed at all. The fact you believe it is makes me think you don't understand it as well as you believe you do. That’s not even considering the fact that they will spend training camp installing an offense they will possibly have to scrap chunks of.

Dropping the Triangle means changing the press break and transition offenses. It's not the easy process you've convinced yourself it is.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Phil claims this year Melo may make the jump to being a Kobe/MJ caliber type of player. If we had a 25 year old Melo, I would be fine with our current situation but there's a good chance Melo won't have a competing team around him until he's 33-34 and out of his prime.

If we had a young Melo, I would have more faith in it but the fact Melo who arguably could become a better player (I don't think he ever fulfilled his potential as a teammate/passer), it's too late in his career. I do like the pickups we had this offseason. We weren't going to land any all stars but to be honest, this team without Melo would make it a lot more easier to believe in the Triangle. A Melo-less team getting to the 6th-8th seed may attract an all star during the offseason since if Melo wasn't on the team, there would be so much cap space.

Attracting an all-star to a Knicks team without Carmelo Anthony is pointless. It just trades one guy getting bashed by the media/fans for another.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Attracting an all-star to a Knicks team without Carmelo Anthony is pointless. It just trades one guy getting bashed by the media/fans for another.
    Nonetheless, I really liked the Kyle Quinn and Affalo pickup. Not a huge fan of Derrick Williams but we got him for real cheap ($2 mil a year I think). Dude is still better than more than half the roster we had last year when Melo was out. Sasha is old but he's familiar with the triangle. More of veteran leadership there. Altogether, it wasn't a poor offseason. I just hope Jerian Grant can produce within the first few months and Kristaps gets a little more time because he is too skinny at the moment. Overall not a bad Knicks team that seems to have some future in the next 5 years. I thought Jerian Grant would have personally been drafted top 15 if he was just younger. But that age helps with his maturity and that's what the Knicks need.

Krust Kingz

I believe it was Jordan that said this or it could have been Kobe....

Jordan and Kobe was the Triangle offense....

[QUOTE=Da KO King]The offense isn't easily changed at all. The fact you believe it is makes me think you don't understand it as well as you believe you do. That

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    I believe it was Jordan that said this or it could have been Kobe....

Jordan and Kobe was the Triangle offense....
    Could be said of any offense. The game is certainly easier to play with better players. The irony of the triangle though is it wasnt really ran when the game was on the line. MJ and Kobe ran a ton of iso's to win games.

The triangle is a good offense for role players to get going, but at the same time having top notch talent does the same thing.