Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
Optimus Prime
:\

Optimus Prime is considered somewhat coolOptimus Prime is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: How arguable is it that Paul Pierce has been a top 10 player in the league...

I would say it is reasonably arguable.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #17
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: How arguable is it that Paul Pierce has been a top 10 player in the league...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
I would say it is reasonably arguable.

diddo
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #18
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I hate these posts because basketball fans live by the following motto: when in doubt, NOT Pierce.

Unless Pierce is miles and miles ahead of a certain player, he will always, always get the short end of the stick.

For example I would love to hear a detailed argument for why Arenas is better than Pierce. I mean, I've made the argument- but only that they're equal as of now. Here's a hint. There is none. And deep down we all know it. Yet we never choose Pierce when we have to pick one, why? Because it breaks the Golden Rule: when in doubt, NOT Pierce.

What about Carmelo Anthony? There are no numbers to choose as evidence. The 2 players have similar games, with Melo more post-oriented and Pierce more predisposed to perimiter isolations and off-ball movement. Melo's a better scorer but Pierce is better at more things and a more proven reliable player. This is a very arguable comparison that could go either way. Yet it NEVER goes Pierce's way does it? These threads come up every few months- where does Pierce rank? And Melo is always on the list of guys who are DEFINITELY better.

Listen- the list of players who are definitely better than Pierce is very, very small. After the top 5 or 7 or so, it gets to the point where you could choose anyone and it wouldn't make much of a difference. Pierce has a legitimate argument from being anywhere between just outside of the top 15 and 7th best in the league. But how many people make the stretch and put him at 7th vs. the people who underrate him and put him on the fringe of the top 15?

The 6 best players in the league are Tim Duncan, Lebron James, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki and Dwyane Wade. After those six, is there anybody you can definitively, in every case put ahead of Paul Pierce? If you think about it there really isn't. Pierce is right there in every comparison you'll make, causing problems for your preconceptions.

This question could be taken 2 ways:

1. Was Pierce a top 10 player in each of the 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, and 2003 seasons?

2. Taking the last 5 seasons holistically into account, was Pierce among its 10 best performers?

I think that Pierce is hanging around the bottom half of the top 10 for every single instance I mentioned above.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Give me a choice between Paul Pierce over the last five years versus Carmelo Anthony or Amare Stoudemire I go with one of the latter.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #20
Noob Saibot
NBA lottery pick

Noob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected poster

Right now, Pierce is more like a top 15 player. In 2002 or 2003, he was a top ten player. Like others mentioned, Pierce isn't as athletic or more skilled like some the other All-Stars in the league. This also makes him more and more underrated. Also, Pierce makes some nice dunks and game winning shots from time to time, but they are completely overshadowed by more popular players like Dwyane Wade or Dirk Nowitzki.
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #21
haji_d_robertas
Good High School Starter

haji_d_robertas has an OK reputation so far

I think the argument should be made on a position basis. I'd call him a top 10 small forward without hesitation.
haji_d_robertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #22
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Fans cant see him as top 10 because the team success simply isnt there. If he was on a winner say Dallas Mavs...ranking him top 10 wouldnt be so hard. Want proof? Elton Brand. He's in peoples top 10. I wonder why...cant be production because he produced prior to team success. But alas the team wins, he gets credit, he gets ranked higher. And thats not a bad thing/knock but it shows how the top 10, or these ranking lists can be. Same with AI...once Sixers looked like shyt he slid down rankings fast. Heck I bet he is now ranked in the 13-15 range as a Nugget. Why? How? He's producing and playing at a high level still.

It all depends what criteria is being used here. Is this straight skills, production? Then PP has an argument. I dont see how he is any less of a player than Tmac or Lebron even. Break all 3 down individually by skills...then at the end show me where the gap is wide.

Its Larry Brown fault for drafting Larry PeeeeeU's over Pierce. AI + PP = Championship!! Lock it up.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #23
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think he's better than Wade and Bron cos he can do everything they do, plus he plays defense without a big man. Although most people think that's crazy, cos apparently defense isn't worth anything.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #24
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

D-Fence has decent reputation

It's completely arguable. Paul Pierce has never made an All-NBA 1st or 2nd Team. He's only made 2 All-NBA 3rd Teams in the last 6 seasons.

He's made 5 All-Star appearances in the last 6 seasons, so it's fairly clear he's a top 24 player. He might be a top 15 player over the past 6 seasons with this reasoning and if you consider that not all positions are equally deep during this period.

Maybe you think the All-NBA Teams are way off, but either way, it's completely arguable, and the case for top 10 seems more difficult to make.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #25
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Its Larry Brown fault for drafting Larry PeeeeeU's over Pierce. AI + PP = Championship!! Lock it up.

That would have been fun to watch...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:09 PM   #26
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
1. Was Pierce a top 10 player in each of the 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, and 2003 seasons?

2. Taking the last 5 seasons holistically into account, was Pierce among its 10 best performers?

I think that Pierce is hanging around the bottom half of the top 10 for every single instance I mentioned above.

I argued the second option... Taking the last 5 years as a whole, I believe that Pierce has been a top 10 player.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #27
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

There aren't definitely ten guys better than him over the last 5 years but becuz he's missed games and becuz he hasn't been able to lift his team outta mediocrity there are a lot of ties......

He's only been top ten in 2 of the last 5 years and even then he was tied with guys like JKidd etc.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: