Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    Bottom line one on one Lebron would blow by Bird to the basket for layups and dunks while bird would shoot contested fadeaways.. Sorry Bird fans hang on to your argument now as a few years from now Lebron will easily pass him at this pace.

bu bu but don't Lebron stans always say: it's a 5 on 5 game?

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    How can he be your favorite player and youve never seen him play on a consistent basis. Meaning im sure youve seen highlights or some of his greatest games etc.
    This.

You give Lebron, Bird's athleticism and Lebron wouldn't even play in the NBA.

The game is called Basketball, if you want to worship athletes go watch the Olympic games or the world championship in athletics.

Complete Player

All things being equal Bird isn't going to spend the last 5 minutes of a winnable playoff game bitching up and passing to scrubs to bail him out while he stands in the corner because he's scared of his own shadow. It's a no-brainer. Bird is the more skilled player + he was a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange

The game is called Basketball, if you want to worship athletes go watch the Olympic games or the world championship in athletics.

I wouldn't go that far, he'll still be a top 30 player in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    This.
    Hes the most confusing poster on the site. Hes a 22 year old Laker fan that lives in Golden State whose favorite player (Larry Bird) and team (1986 Celtics) hes never seen play. Hell he wasnt even born during the Celtics dynasty. Hell he wasnt even born in the 80s.

7-time NBA All-Star

It is very close, but I still have to go with Bird. Lebron is much better as a defender, finisher, ball-handler and open court player. But Bird was the much better shooter despite Lebron's improvements, a much off the ball player, a much better rebounder, a better post player and a better passer. Plus, intangibles, particularly leadership are in Bird's favor. His left hand was also as good of an off hand as any player you'll see. Check out the "left hand game" to see what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Bird a bit more than 1 inch taller and by like his 5th season Larry was pushing over 230 lbs.... do ya really think Lebron's 280 lbs??? Or even 270...
    I doubt 280, but 270 is pretty likely for Lebron. I don't know why people make a big deal out of this and refuse to believe it. Lebron has been 265-270 for 5 seasons now.

This is Lebron when he was a 245 pound rookie. And yes, he was officially weighed at 245 at the pre-draft camp.

Considering Lebron has obviously put on 20-25 pounds since then and pretty much every source has put Lebron in the 265-270 range, I don't know why people have such a hard time with this.

As far as Bird, I think his top weight in the 80's was 240ish, but I'm not sure.

Facts Are Misleading

LeBron.

He's too well rounded now on offense (can beat you any way you want it) and is clearly a better defender.

I rule the local playground Rondo's Avatar

Bottom line one on one Lebron would blow by Bird to the basket for layups and dunks while bird would shoot contested fadeaways.. Sorry Bird fans hang on to your argument now as a few years from now Lebron will easily pass him at this pace.
    Shame basketball isn't a one on one playground game, huh?

Love Live Life

I haven't watched much of Bird play but I think I would go with Bird because Lebron relies on his athleticism too much. Bird was just skills and bball IQ. Plus he was tough minded and didn't back down when things got tough. Just a tough nosed country down to earth guy. To me if you take away Lebron's athleticism it's gonna be tough for him to score cause he can't shoot well and he has no post moves.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

So dumb.

Size and athleticism have always been assets in this sport.

Give MJ Bird's athleticism, and Bird may very well be the better player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Hes the most confusing poster on the site. Hes a 22 year old Laker fan that lives in Golden State whose favorite player (Larry Bird) and team (1986 Celtics) hes never seen play. Hell he wasnt even born during the Celtics dynasty. Hell he wasnt even born in the 80s.
    Dude. You can spot these Lebron stans from a mile away.

"Ya see, I love Hakeem, but I think Lebron has a slightly better post game."

Give Nate Robinson Shaq's body and he'd the the goat.

Anyway, Lebron is elite at both ends of the floor and during Bird's time the game was played at a much higher pace.

But I'm not going to say anything because I've never watched Bird play, just like most of you.

What I do know though is that Bird(and his buddy Magic) has plenty of times said that Lebron is up there with Jordan as the best player in the history of the game.
    Last edited by Nash; 05-23-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tikay0
    Dude. You can spot these Lebron stans from a mile away.

"Ya see, I love Hakeem, but I think Lebron has a slightly better post game."

who actually said that?

Love Live Life

Lebron doesn't even have a quick first step like that. So how did you come up with this conclusion?