Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: The Spurs are overrated in the annals of history

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    It's obvious fact to anyone with common sense:

The Spurs weren't good enough to win back-to-back - FACT... So they couldn't be the kind of dominant dynasty that Bulls and Lakers were - FACT.

Instead, they played the longevity game and waited for powerhouse dynasties to drop off and leave a vacuum/opportunity.. Succeeding in this longevity strategy might be more rare, but it actually means the team is inferior to other teams who were good enough to win back-to-back.
    You can think that....go ahead...

You cherry pick info

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

3ball, the spurs were one shot away from winning back to back .. and a crazy sequence of events before that to lose in a scenario where there was like a 1% chance of them losin. So they definitely could win back to back. That is proven by how close they came to doing it. Literally one random bounce would have proven your theory wrong.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kawhi m8
    You can think that....go ahead...

You cherry pick info
    Don't act surprised - it makes sense that the non-dynasty caliber of the Spurs would get destroyed by ACTUAL dynasty teams like Shaq/Kobe's Lakers.. And we got a glimpse of how they fared in the Bulls' heyday - Duncan, Robinson, and Popovich won 56 games in 1998 but were destroyed in the playoffs by the Jazz, who got crushed by Jordan in the Finals.

So Duncan/Popovich's Spurs couldn't touch Jordan's Bulls, and would've been doormats just like the Jazz and everyone else.. Look at Jordan in his first meeting with Duncan/Popovich/Robinson in 1998 - he MADE the walk-off 3-pointer from the exact same spot of Lebron's infamous miss - then MJ dominated the overtime, including 2 dunks over Duncan.. So again - the Spurs would be doormats for Jordan just like everyone else, which shouldn't be a surprise, since we know they were NON-DYNASTY CALIBER.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    3ball, the spurs were one shot away from winning back to back .. and a crazy sequence of events before that to lose in a scenario where there was like a 1% chance of them losin. So they definitely could win back to back. That is proven by how close they came to doing it. Literally one random bounce would have proven your theory wrong.
    We know this to be false because we cant predict the future, the same could be said if kyrie/love weren't injured the cavs would have repeated, we could also infer that the 2014 heat would have came back with a vengance and won the 2014 finals, or the 2016 warriors would have been hungrier to beat the cavs.

Don't act surprised - it makes sense that the non-dynasty caliber of the Spurs would get destroyed by ACTUAL dynasty teams like Shaq/Kobe's Lakers.. And we got a glimpse of how they fared in the Bulls' heyday - Duncan, Robinson, and Popovich won 56 games in 1998 but were destroyed in the playoffs by the Jazz, who got crushed by Jordan in the Finals.

So Duncan/Popovich's Spurs couldn't touch Jordan's Bulls, and would've been doormats just like the Jazz and everyone else.. Look at Jordan in his first meeting with Duncan/Popovich/Robinson in 1998 - he MADE the walk-off 3-pointer from the exact same spot of Lebron's infamous miss - then MJ dominated the overtime, including 2 dunks over Duncan.. So again - the Spurs would be doormats for Jordan just like everyone else, which shouldn't be a surprise, since we know they were NON-DYNASTY CALIBER.
    I love how you ignore my post about the 14 Heat and 05 and 07.

Cherry picking your replies too it seems.

Classic 3ball.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols

The facts are obvious:

1) The Spurs couldn't touch Shaq/Kobe's Lakers until Shaq/Kobe started to split up and Kobe had his rape charge - only then did the Spurs win 3 rings from 2003-2007.

2) And their 1999 ring was only because the Bulls broke up..

3) Achieving one-off rings when superior dynasties fall off isn't as impressive as BEING those superior dynasties that can dominate continuously.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheWinningFam
    We know this to be false because we cant predict the future, the same could be said if kyrie/love weren't injured the cavs would have repeated, we could also infer that the 2014 heat would have came back with a vengance and won the 2014 finals, or the 2016 warriors would have been hungrier to beat the cavs.
    not really.. the Heat weren't that good in 2014.. and statistically were playing in the weakest conference since 1970. The only argument that is viable is that the spurs may have lost some motivation and maybe dropped to the thunder, but i wouldnt bet on that either considering OKC had some injuries.

3-time NBA All-Star

At the end of the day, no player has become superstar with duncan like athleticism. But he did not just became a superstar but also won 5 rings. Give him jordans athleticism and i cant imagine what he would do with this league

I love how you ignore my post about the 14 Heat and 05 and 07.
    The Spurs' rings in 2005 and 2007 occurred AFTER Shaq/Kobe started to split up and Kobe had his rape charge - so you're making my point.

And their 1999 ring was only because the Bulls broke up..

So i'm sorry, but achieving one-off rings when superior dynasties fall off isn't as impressive as BEING those superior dynasties that can dominate continuously.. ...

The facts are obvious:

1) The Spurs couldn't touch Shaq/Kobe's Lakers until Shaq/Kobe started to split up and Kobe had his rape charge - only then did the Spurs win 3 rings from 2003-2007.

2) And their 1999 ring was only because the Bulls broke up..

3) So I'm sorry, but achieving one-off rings when superior dynasties fall off isn't as impressive as BEING those superior dynasties that can dominate continuously.
    So again, what about the 14 Heat dynasty in the making that they wiped the floor with?

What about having the highest winning % in US sports history?

Who's overrating them?

C'mon hot shot, i shouldn't have to ask the same stuff 3 times?

You speak nothing but inconsistent coincidences.

I agree. First of all, they're great and their consistency is amazing and deserves all the praise it gets.

But they're not dominant. Never been a true dynasty.

And people always talk about getting passes. The Spurs get unlimited passes for the times they didn't live up to expectations.

The past 2 years for example, they were expected by damn near everybody to face the Warriors in the WCF and they lose in the 1st and 2nd round. And nobody criticizes them for it.

So again, what about the 14 Heat dynasty in the making that they wiped the floor with?
    that's 1 ring out of 5

they were supposed to win in 2012 and 2013 too, but they weren't good enough to repeat

What about having the highest winning % in US sports history?
    regular season consistency means literally nothing, especially since it gave the Spurs so many postseason chances that they butchered

ultimately, the Spurs weren't good enough to win 2 in a row - they could only win one-off rings when superior dynasties fell off, which isn't as impressive as BEING those superior dynasties that can dominate continuously.

Who's overrating them?
    Everyone, even though the Spurs would get destroyed by all prior NBA dynasty champions.

Teams that are capable of winning multiple titles in a row are obviously better than a team that wins one-off rings by waiting for superior dynasties to fall off.

seriously - jordan would drop 80 on manu

Your whole argument is basically "they had to wait for a dynasty to disappear to ring."

14 they beat a dynasty.
    05 and 07, didn't wait for a dynasty to die, clearly won fair game.

Stick to your MJ posts....its the only thing you do good.

Your whole argument is basically "they had to wait for a dynasty to disappear to ring."

14 they beat a dynasty.
    05 and 07, didn't wait for a dynasty to die, clearly won fair game.

Stick to your MJ posts....its the only thing you do good.
    I'll let my homie ride on you:

Quote Originally Posted by Young X

I agree. First of all, they're great and their consistency is amazing and deserves all the praise it gets.

But they're [COLOR="Blue"]not dominant[/COLOR]. Never been a true dynasty.

And people always talk about getting passes. The Spurs get unlimited passes for the times they didn't live up to expectations.

The past 2 years for example, they were expected by damn near everybody to face the Warriors in the WCF and they lose in the 1st and 2nd round. And nobody criticizes them for it.

I'll let my homie ride on you:
    Yeah look, having the highest wining % in all US sports is some what dominant, in my eyes.

No ones saying they're some crazy dynasty, but people respect the franchise for what they do and the fact they have such a winning and respectable culture, not to mention they never miss the playoffs - ever.

No one says they're better than 96 Bulls or something.

And 5 rings since 99, in a 30 team comp, for a small market team that didn't trade in big free agents is commendable, whether you like it or not.

They're not overrated.

You've just overrated them to suit the agenda of your thread.