Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park cyco127's Avatar

Default WOW... byebye Sonics eh...

Ya'll see ISH's front page??? Looks like Oklahoma City'll be getting a team after all. But the owners say they'll try to stay in seattle. http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

I'll bet they move once the Hornets relocate to Nawlins...
    Last edited by insidehoops; 07-20-2006 at 03:09 PM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Bricklayer's Avatar

That really sux. You can't take the Sonics out of Seattle!!! I have read about this arena situation and i honestly thought the whole thing would've been worked out and that the media was just tryna stir somethin up over there. Turns out the owners weren't kidding. What was wrong with Key Arena anyway? They probably won't be called the Sonics anymore when they get to OKC either. That's like... taking the Raiders out of the NFL... the Maple Leafs outta the NHL... or the Padres out of the MLB. Seattle is one of the staple franchises in the NBA. It's really sad to see that change...

Supposedly they are staying in the Seattle "region", looking for some town to build them a stadium... I'm really not sure what to think..

Fire Dwane Casey

actually, the sonics are staying in seattle for the 06-07 season and after that they will decide whether they will go to OKC or stay in Seattle.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Bricklayer's Avatar

The fact that the new owners are in OKC - a city well known for wanting its own nba team - virtually guarantees the sonics are leaving town. What's also sad is this entire thread is populated by people OUTSIDE of seattle!

Saw a basketball once throwitdwnbigman's Avatar

Lets face it, the last thing on the people of Seattle's mind is building a new arena for the Sonics.

They just bought a brand new football stadium and from what I hear they are searching for a way to correct the public transportation system for the city which is hideous. I have heard light rail, which if that is the case haha you can say goodbye to the Sonics.

It will be interesting to see how hard they new owners try to shop for a new arena, my guess? not very hard.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default bellevue/renton

i havent read the options yet so let's just get as solid info as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    i havent read the options yet so let's just get as solid info as possible...

Well unless Bellvue or Renton wants to pony up MAJOR money for an arena...
    good luck.

And I mean that: Good Luck.

V|iLL|ainy ◊ iLL

I'll agree, it would be sad to see the Sonics depart Seattle, but if another city is willing to spend and invest the money to improve the team's well being (new arena / workout facilities / etc), I see it as an improvement for the franchise. They will probably lose their label as SuperSonics, but in the midst of the name change, perhaps it's a small price to pay considering another city would be welcoming them with open arms.

If owners expect better revenue in a different city other than Seattle, they should pursue that market. Yes, many diehard loyal fans will be left without their beloved Sonics, but for every fan lost, it will probably double in terms of new fans in a different market. Right now, with the way Rick Sund is running that club, they need a change of scenery, and pronto. They'll probably end up in OK City, but I'd love to see them relocate to Cincinnati. Afterall, the Cincinnati SuperSonics doesn't sound that bad (if owners wanted to keep the same name).

Learning to shoot layups

I think the NBA will be adding 2 more teams down the road anyway. You guys will be in consideration for one along with Vegas and Mexico City.

$ci
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

You guys are gonna go through what we here in Vancouver went through awhile back. it sucks losing your NBA team. Even worse for me, after the Grizzles left, I had to travel to Seattle for NBA games, now i'll have to go to Portland

Saw a basketball once throwitdwnbigman's Avatar

hey i hate to break it to ya, but the trailblazers arnt worth driving to go see. Stay at home and get league pass, much better alternative in my opinion haha.

Quote Originally Posted by throwitdwnbigman
    hey i hate to break it to ya, but the trailblazers arnt worth driving to go see. Stay at home and get league pass, much better alternative in my opinion haha.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default Re: WOW... byebye Sonics eh...

Quote Originally Posted by cyco127
    Well unless Bellvue or Renton wants to pony up MAJOR money for an arena...
    good luck.

And I mean that: Good Luck.
    this was the beginning of the end-- summer of 2006

one2
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: WOW... byebye Sonics eh...

Life is so not fair.