Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: wall&beal vs kyrie&waters

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Let me address this point first...

Deng was awful in his stint in Cleveland. I was pretty open about that. And, he only played 40 games for the Cavs, most of which was spent protecting his body for his impending free agency and constantly throwing the team under the bus to the media.

His tenure was awful. When Deng wasn't out there moping and limping around, the other 42 games were stated by a combination of Alonzo Gee and Earl Clark. I wonder... is Earl Clark still in the league?

Hawes played 25 games for the Cavs, where -- for the first time since Kyrie was drafted -- he actually had a competent outside shooter next to him in the lineup. However, when it came to defense and rebounding? Different story all together.

There's a good reason the Cavs made no attempt to re-sign either of these guys.

The "oh-so great Tristan Thompson" had an admittedly down year last season. He didn't progress the way I had hoped. However, when having to defend him against attacks that he's a "scrub" and "useless," I will every time. He's just 23 and he's better suited in his coming role than he was in his previous one.

That doesn't mean he was effective as a starter last season at PF. He was not. Having him and Varejao starting for the majority of the season essentially killed any notion of floor spacing and crowded the lane for our talented slashers (Kyrie/Dion)... that crowded lane was made even worse by having the wing position occupied by non-shooters Clark/Gee/Deng over the course of the year.

Then you had the Bynum disaster, wherein we spent the first 30 games trying to make a guy who is now out of the league the focal point of our offensive sets. To say it was a disaster is being kind.

Actually, following Bynum's departure, we went from a team 12 games under .500 to essentially a .500 team for the rest of the season.

On top of all these issues with personnel, you had the Mike Brown offense at work. I'm not the guy who kills MB at every turn, but he did not handle this situation well at all and the players did not respond to his style of coaching.

Couple that with the youngest, least experienced rotation in the NBA? You've got trouble. I was surprised we won 33 games, to be completely honest. That was actually +12 from the year before, one of the best W-L turnarounds in the entire league.
    Yet, majority of Cav fans wouldn't shut up about those players, but, you know, they are all vastly inferior.

Then again, Cav fans think shit like Andy V and Waiters is enough for Jordan, and then, you actually suggested Clippers would deal Jordan for a TPE

Let's just put the numbers out there and people can come to their own conclusions. No need to parse our words, here.

In the five full games that both guys played the over the course of their respective careers, here are the numbers:

Kyrie Irving
    25.4 points
    FG: 50.0% (42-84)
    3PT: 48.3% (10-21)
    FT: 94.4% (33-35)

6.8 assists
    2.6 rebounds
    3.8 turnovers
    in 34.6 minutes (173:03 court time)

John Wall
    20.2 points
    FG: 42.2%(35-83)
    3PT: 33.3% (5-15)
    FT: 81.2% (26-32)

9.2 assists
    3.8 rebounds
    2.2 turnovers
    in 37.6 minutes (188:30 court time)

They're two different players with two different skillsets, but we both know that 25+ points on 50/48/94 on under 35 minutes a game is totally nuts. Toss in the 6.8 assists and those are LeBron-like numbers.

The funny part about this whole thing is that I haven't said one time who I thought was better last year or who I think is the better player. My response was to those who acted like it was/is a laughable endeavor to even make the comparison.

And, the reason I went straight to the head-to-head numbers was in response to your post that Wall's defense "alone" is clearly what separated him from Irving and Waiters. First of all, Waiters is not a bad defender. Secondly, Kyrie has made it a habit of torching Wall.

Do I think that Wall had a better all-around season last year? Yeah, probably. Do I think Irving is the better player going forward? No doubt in my mind.

Do I think anyone who honestly believes, even based on last year, that these guys weren't close is insane? Yeah, pretty much.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
    Amare torched Brand a few times, during the Phoenix v LAC days, I guess Brand was a shitty defender and that aspect should not be brought up when comparing the two. Why ignore the steals per as well, where Wall was at 2.8 iirc, and Kyrie at 1?

Also, if Waiters is considered a good defender, so is JJ.
    Last edited by qrich; 10-01-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Decent playground baller Denitron's Avatar

Wall & Beal

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Right now to me Wall is the best player out of the 4 so for that reason I'm going for Washington, in general I'm not much of a believer in either Beal and Waiters both solid good (clutch as well) players but I don't see the hype they are solid pushing above average SG's.

To me right now Gerald Henderson/Lance/Afflalo/Wes and these kind of guys are way better all round players than Waiters and Beal
    Last edited by andremiller07; 10-01-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold soul
    Wall & Beal and it isn't even close.
    I agree. Waiters is absolute trash, and Irving can't play defense, like the point guard version of James Harden

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS
    I agree. Waiters is absolute trash, and Irving can't play defense, like the point guard version of James Harden

Do you even watch the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Wall also had the better team around him. Also keep in mind that these numbers (including the W-L record), includes a game where Kyrie played under 10 minutes before getting injured. If you exclude that game, the series is actually 3-2.

Kyrie has shot almost 48% from three playing against Wall.

We're talking 50/48/94 splits. Wall's at 42/33/83. That's a little more of a disparity than 2.8 turnovers in 37 minutes as compared to 3.2 turnovers in 31 minutes.
    Their head to head numbers don't mean anything, that sample size is too small.

I initially wanted to say Wall & Beal. I'm a fan of Kyrie and would take him over Wall any day. Don't get me wrong, in actual terms of skill I think they are fairly close, but I just think Kyrie is a better playmaker. On the other hand I hate Waiters and his style of play, while I like Beal a lot.

So I checked up some stats, and after looking at some numbers, especially the stat comparison between Beal and Waiters, and it's closer that I would have thought.

In conclusion, whichever backcourt you pick it's not "obvious" or "by a landslide".

And about the whole reason this thread started, dumbass Waiters had no need to address Beal's comments. No one was talking to the bench player. Yes, I'm biased.

History made 2016 El Gato Negro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artificial
    I initially wanted to say Wall & Beal. I'm a fan of Kyrie and would take him over Wall any day. Don't get me wrong, in actual terms of skill I think they are fairly close, but I just think Kyrie is a better playmaker. On the other hand I hate Waiters and his style of play, while I like Beal a lot.

So I checked up some stats, and after looking at some numbers, especially the stat comparison between Beal and Waiters, and it's closer that I would have thought.

In conclusion, whichever backcourt you pick it's not "obvious" or "by a landslide".

And about the whole reason this thread started, dumbass Waiters had no need to address Beal's comments. No one was talking to the bench player. Yes, I'm biased.
    Best post so far the part about obvious and by a landslide is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by artificial

It's not like Dion heard that and just wanted to put it out there.. He was asked by a reporter what did he think of that comment. Had Dion and/or Kyrie said that and they asked Wall or Beal, i'm sure it would have been the same thing.

Dion's not the type of guy to say, "Yeah, Bradley Beal is better than me"

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato Negro
    Best post so far the part about obvious and by a landslide is the correct answer.
    The best post isn't the one that suggest Kyrie is a better playmaker than Wall. Irving has like 12 doubles doubles for his career, John Wall had 29 last year. 26 his rookie season.

8.3, 8, 7.6, 8.8 vs 5.4, 5.9, 6.1 is how there assists shake out. Wall kills Irving in the eye test too. Irving is deff more of a scoring guard. No idea how somebody could think Irving was the better playmaker. You can forget the shitty team thing too considering most NBA players have inflated numbers playing on lottery teams

Wall/Beal for me but I think Irving is pretty overrated. Already made the playoffs and had better individual seasons. Don't see any other reason to go in the other direction. Now Irving is in competition for being the 2nd best player on his team going forward, Waiters what like 4th? 5th? Hard to compare them given what Wall/Beal are going to be asked to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    The best post isn't the one that suggest Kyrie is a better playmaker than Wall. Irving has like 12 doubles doubles for his career, John Wall had 29 last year. 26 his rookie season.

8.3, 8, 7.6, 8.8 vs 5.4, 5.9, 6.1 is how there assists shake out. Wall kills Irving in the eye test too. Irving is deff more of a scoring guard. No idea how somebody could think Irving was the better playmaker. You can forget the shitty team thing too considering most NBA players have inflated numbers playing on lottery teams

Wall/Beal for me but I think Irving is pretty overrated. Already made the playoffs and had better individual seasons. Don't see any other reason to go in the other direction. Now Irving is in competition for being the 2nd best player on his team going forward, Waiters what like 4th? 5th? Hard to compare them given what Wall/Beal are going to be asked to do.

What about last year? Dion was either the number one guy on offense or the number two depending on if Kyrie was in or not.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    What about last year? Dion was either the number one guy on offense or the number two depending on if Kyrie was in or not.
    Yeah last year was fine. Beal was better than Waiters and Wall was better than Kyrie. The Wizards had a better roster but obviously Wall/Beal were a huge part in them winning 44 games which makes there seasons that much better in comparisons to Waiters/Irving. I don't think it was by an absurd amount anything.

Going forward I don't see how you compare them for the first year or two until things shake out. Cleveland is stacked. LeBron than Love/Irving. Beal would be in the exact same situation if they swapped place but the fact is he'll have a bigger role next season, more defensive attention while Waiters just gets to play off 3 other All-Stars. Wall is the LeBron of the Wizards, Irving gets to play off LeBron/Love.

Very good NBA starter

Head to head stats make no sense because according to that logic Kyrie>Westbrook.

some guys just play better against the other, doesnt always mean theyre better

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

2 on 2...I take Kyrie and Waiters. Wall and Beal can't shoot for nothing when they have someone in their face. A lot easy for Wall and Beal to talk shit when they had Ariza, Nene, and Gortat while Cavs had Alonzo Gee, Thompson, and Spencer Hawes or Tyler Zeller playing center. If you had them switch teams I bet Kyrie and Waiters would had done much better with the sqaud Wall and Beal was running with.

History made 2016 El Gato Negro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    Wouldn't waste my time talking to nugs fan. he has been a cavs hater since they won the lottery this last year. hell he prolly watched 2 cavs games total last year.