Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
mjbulls23
6 World Championships

Default Q&A: Kobe Bryant & Mark Stein

Quote:
It's a weekly tradition here at the Weekend Dime: We go one-on-one to five (questions) with a name you know well.

Since we were able to sneak a few minutes with Kobe Bryant this week, we figured you wouldn't mind if we moved this one-on-one slightly higher up the page.

Especially since Kobe did have a pretty good week in the Boston Celtics' considerable shadow, leading the Los Angeles Lakers to road wins in Dallas and Utah -- the latter halting a 19-game home winning streak for the Jazz -- without the injured Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum.

Q: I know you always say that you really don't give the MVP race any thought, but surely it's crossed your mind this season. Wouldn't it mean more to win one than you're letting on?

A: It'd be extremely special to win one. That puts you in really great company. It would mean a lot for to win it, but that's not my primary goal. My primary goal is to win a championship. I firmly believe that a rising tide raises all boats. So us winning, individual success will come. MVP is not my primary focus.

Q: But does it bug you to be known as the best player who's never won an MVP trophy?

A: Gotta take the good with the bad. In other words, when Michael [Jordan] and some of the other players, when they came into the league they came into a situation where they carried the load and were the leader on that ballclub, but they didn't win. And then once he had another great player [beside him], [Scottie] Pippen had developed ... then they started winning.

Myself ... I came into the league already on a team that was winning 60 games. So I won early. I developed into a great individual player, but I was already playing with somebody that was dominant. So I never really got those accolades that [a great] individual player would get.

It never bothered me. I kind of looked at it like a Special Forces job ... [someone who] goes in quietly, does what he has to do to help the team be successful and has players around the league and coaches around the league understand and respect what I do a nightly basis. That's what kind of kept me motivated.

Q: Safe to say you're OK now with the fact that the Bynum-for-Kidd trade last season didn't work out?

A: Yeah (laughing). I'm more happy for [Kidd] that he got out of that situation [in New Jersey]. I think it's kind of invigorated him with the passion and the kind of joy that you know Jason Kidd likes to play with.

Q: So what was it like together last summer on Team USA? Were you guys constantly talking about how unhappy you were on your regular teams?

A: I was getting ribbed a lot by a lot of my [Team USA] teammates because of the plays Jason was making and how he could have been on my team and how it didn't go down, that sort of thing. I had to take a lot of jabs this summer. But the [Gasol] trade ... it's been an answer to a prayer, man.

Q: Admit it: Are there times you look over and see Pau in the same locker room and still don't believe it?

A: We're extremely fortunate, man. But they pulled it off. Mitch [Kupchak] made a great move and the young players that he drafted have really developed faster than I think anybody expected. So that's why we're in this position.

I love our chances. I love our chances even with the injuries. And if we do get 'Drew back in the mix, I really like our chances.

On whether Andrew Bynum will play again this season:

"I'm pretty optimistic. In a perfect-case scenario, he'd get five games under his belt or something like that before the playoffs. But if it doesn't happen, we'll roll with it. In this system, it's easy for him to jump back in, go stand down there and not miss a beat. Especially at that center position, be our defensive anchor, change shots. It's not that difficult."

On fears that Pau Gasol's left ankle will also wind up being a long-term injury:

"Nah. He'll shake it. He's a very quick healer. He's already walking on it. He'll be back soon."

On the torn ligament in Bryant's pinkie on his shooting hand:

"I'll always have issues with it until I get the surgery. I still have to do that. But Phil [Jackson] was pretty much going to give me training camp off anyway to let my body recuperate after the playoffs and the Olympics. ... This team has been together for so long, I don't think that'll be a problem."

mjbulls23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Kobe=MVP07`
Local High School Star

Default Re: Q&A: Kobe Bryant & Mark Stein

Quote:
Q: But does it bug you to be known as the best player who's never won an MVP trophy?

A: Gotta take the good with the bad. In other words, when Michael [Jordan] and some of the other players, when they came into the league they came into a situation where they carried the load and were the leader on that ballclub, but they didn't win. And then once he had another great player [beside him], [Scottie] Pippen had developed ... then they started winning.

Myself ... I came into the league already on a team that was winning 60 games. So I won early. I developed into a great individual player, but I was already playing with somebody that was dominant. So I never really got those accolades that [a great] individual player would get.

It never bothered me. I kind of looked at it like a Special Forces job ... [someone who] goes in quietly, does what he has to do to help the team be successful and has players around the league and coaches around the league understand and respect what I do a nightly basis. That's what kind of kept me motivated.

I have always been saying this.
Kobe got privileged to be drafted by a team that just signed "the most dominant ever", he unlike MJ, lebron ect.. did not have to put up amazing numbers [38 pts, 30-7-7] to get his team into the playoffs

The past few years Kobe was in there situation putting amazing numbers, getting the low seed and loosing to the dominant team

it sort of seems like he is making his push for GOAT, saying that MJ was Dominant, but became GOAT because pippen came to help, and now that he has gasol his next rings will elevate him up to that stratosphere..
Kobe=MVP07` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Q: I know you always say that you really don't give the MVP race any thought, but surely it's crossed your mind this season. Wouldn't it mean more to win one than you're letting on?

A: It'd be extremely special to win one. That puts you in really great company. It would mean a lot for to win it, but that's not my primary goal. My primary goal is to win a championship. I firmly believe that a rising tide raises all boats. So us winning, individual success will come. MVP is not my primary focus.

Liar, MVP is your focus.

me loves messin around. hiding can u find me
Quote:

Wow so now when Shaq is on a decline u recognize he was dominant? Why didnt you think this then or Lakers duo doesnt split up!

Quote:
Q: Safe to say you're OK now with the fact that the Bynum-for-Kidd trade last season didn't work out?

A: Yeah (laughing). I'm more happy for [Kidd] that he got out of that situation [in New Jersey]. me loves messin around. hiding can u find meI think it's kind of invigorated him with the passion and the kind of joy that you know Jason Kidd likes to play with.

Say you were stupid for suggesting it and now you're eating crow after Bynums performance.

Last edited by GOBB : 03-21-2008 at 07:09 PM.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe=MVP07`
it sort of seems like he is making his push for GOAT, saying that MJ was Dominant, but became GOAT because pippen came to help, and now that he has gasol his next rings will elevate him up to that stratosphere..

Kobe has never been nearly as individually dominant as Jordan as well as several others. So if that's the "push" he's making, he's flat out wrong and hopefully people will see through his BS. Kobe can win another 4 rings and still won't be the player that Jordan was.

Does he need good players around him to win championships? Of course, everyone does. But he can win 5 more and still won't be considered GOAT, because he's simply never been that good. He can "push" all he wants.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
mjbulls23
6 World Championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Kobe has never been nearly as individually dominant as Jordan as well as several others. So if that's the "push" he's making, he's flat out wrong and hopefully people will see through his BS. Kobe can win another 4 rings and still won't be the player that Jordan was.

Does he need good players around him to win championships? Of course, everyone does. But he can win 5 more and still won't be considered GOAT, because he's simply never been that good. He can "push" all he wants.

ya we already know that MJ is better than Kobe and that number of rings are not the only thing separating MJ & KB.

but some of the younger fans don't know that though

we even have some of those fans right here on ISH
mjbulls23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Emile
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Liar, MVP is your focus.

MVP is his primary focus over winning the championship? Okay..

Quote:
Wow so now when Shaq is on a decline u recognize he was dominant? Why didnt you think this then or Lakers duo doesnt split up!

In retrospect, good thing they did split up. And hardly would Kobe's opinion change anything, there were many more factors involved, come on now Gobb.

Quote:
Say you were stupid for suggesting it and now you're eating crow after Bynums performance.

Which also is a great thing.
Emile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
phazed out
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:

never been that good?c'mon im 19 so i watched MJ in the latter years and now watching KObe its safe to say Kobe is the closest thing to MJ, period.If thats " never been that good" then you my friend set a high standard for greatness
phazed out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
shadow
Laker fan here

Quote:

Being GOAT means more than just being good, it means having Hype. There's a few other guys besides Jordan who make as good a case for being GOAT based on skills, accolades, and championships, but he gets all the hype (thanks Nike and Gatorade).

I don't think Kobe's gonna surpass MJ, in overall stats or otherwise, but if you take a guy like Lebron who has a chance, he might eventaully be mentioned in the same berth simply by winning 3 championships (half of Jordan's number) because of his hype.

Point I'm trying to make is that if by some miracle Kobe's hype machine takes off, and a couple of championships could do that, history might remember him on par with Magic, MJ, Bird, Cap and them guys.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Emile
Local High School Star

Quote:

And good thing is, he will continue to. And thanks God for that, he's never gonna stop. All that can be asked is that he gives his very absolute and definitive best.
Good thing is he doesn't have that "whatever I do, it's worthless" mentality because that way he would've quit times and times before and wouldn't be half the player he is. He never has and he never will think like that which is what makes him as great as he is. So let him continue pushing. We"ll see where he gets.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile

MVP is his primary focus over winning the championship? Okay..

In retrospect, good thing they did split up. And hardly would Kobe's opinion change anything, there were many more factors involved, come on now Gobb.

Which also is a great thing.
u got played, i was jokin

You're not bright
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Emile
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
u got played, i was jokin

You're not bright

Guess so.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick

What a refreshing thread Lets compare Kobe and MJ, like we've never discussed that before
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
KINGD
Banned

Kobe with 6+ rings will retire as the greatest pereimeter player of all time.
KINGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
Kobe=MVP07`
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar24
What a refreshing thread Lets compare Kobe and MJ, like we've never discussed that before

lol that was funny

ok so the thing is, for kobe to win 3-5 more rings he must elevate his game jorden-esque

no his career avgs will never be like MJs but if he is able to lead his team as the #1 option to 4 more rings [especially in the rugged west, that looks like it will be rugged for a few more years with utah NO portland and the old dogs remodeling] then he certainly deserves not only to be spoken in the same sentence but to be known as CO-goat

and if you cant even see a possible way for him to be a CO-goat, you are just unreasonable

i agree kobe is not close to MJs level [although he is the closest since his airness` retirement] however, the next 6 years will determine his place among the top 5..
Kobe=MVP07` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #15
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazed out
never been that good?c'mon im 19 so i watched MJ in the latter years

That explains a lot.

Quote:
and now watching KObe its safe to say Kobe is the closest thing to MJ, period.If thats " never been that good" then you my friend set a high standard for greatness

Kobe is "the closest thing to Jordan" in terms of body movements/mannerisms and skill at the SG position, but he's not the "closest thing to Jordan" in terms of impacting games. Magic, Bird, Shaq, Wilt, KAJ, Hakeem etc. are all better than Kobe.

So when I say that he's "never been that good" I mean that he's never been good enough to be considered the GOAT based on his individual impact. Not that he's not a good player (indeed, he's a great player).
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: