Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: 2016 Draft: Pistons Picks #18 and #49

I'm kinda surprised we passed on Skal Labissiere. He was supposed to be a lottery pick. I feel like we could have developed him and put him next to Dre as a stretch 4.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

I guess they are fairly similar, Ellenson and Skal, in terms of position and potential NBA role.

Ellenson is 30 pound heavier, so at 245 pound can immediately bang with NBA bodies. Also is a lot more active than Skal, and I think has a much higher "floor" than Skal.

I do admit Skal potentially has the higher ceiling, but there is also a reason he fell to #28 or whatever he did...

I think we made the right decision, SVG knows a heck of a lot more than both of us combined, so I have no regret with this pick.

NBA lottery pick

I've seen that video before. SVG can ball.

So I just re-watched the final game of our summer league, and without getting ahead of myself, I am very impressed with Ellenson's game. He looks so comfortable with the ball in his hands, and I love the way he attacks on his drives. He has quick feet for a big man and excellent hands. Nice feathery touch on his mid range game and will no doubt expand out to a nice deep game, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nOc5cQVUpg

It does not surprise me that SVG thought there would be no chance this guy would be available at #18.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    So I just re-watched the final game of our summer league, and without getting ahead of myself, I am very impressed with Ellenson's game. He looks so comfortable with the ball in his hands, and I love the way he attacks on his drives. He has quick feet for a big man and excellent hands. Nice feathery touch on his mid range game and will no doubt expand out to a nice deep game, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nOc5cQVUpg

It does not surprise me that SVG thought there would be no chance this guy would be available at #18.
    Yuh. I watched some highlight reels of his games in college and he is very impressive with the transition ball handling.

I like what he can bring to the table offensively. If he gets a consistent three, we have hit the jackpot.

But, we are going to have to hide him on defense. His effort is almost lackadaisical. He has worse lateral movement than Greg Monroe did. So if he can work on three and D, we got a monster and a huge future building block.

A bit off-topic, but after watching the Ellenson video, youtube hit me up with the Kris Dunn highlights of his 27-point debut. Holy crap. This kid has a lot of weapons and his arms are LLOONNGG.

Yeah, absolute stud - would not be trading him to bring in Butler,

Dunn / Lavine / Wiggins / Dieng / KAT

Average age of 21.

All athletic, all project to be great defenders. This is a scary unit in2 years time...

NBA lottery pick

If you watch the game before the last summer league game you wouldn't be very impressed with Ellenson lol. He's got a ways to go before he makes an impact in the NBA. Hopefully he will become a little more consistent.

Yeah, Dunn looks like he's going to be good. The Timberwolves have the best young core of players in the league. They're going to be contenders before long.

^^ On Ellenson,

With a first year player, you don't expect consistency. You expect a yoyo like season. The most you can hope for (especially with pick 18) is to see flashes of what he could potentially emerge into. KCP is still inconsistent and he will know be in his 4th campaign.

This summer league I have seen some pretty great flashes of what this kids game can develop into. Much the same as Stanley from last year.

The fact that most people see Ellenson as one of the most NBA prospects in this draft is a reflection on the draft itself.

But I will admit, that he needs to become a 36% + 3pt shooter to truly emerge as a strong piece of our puzzle long term. That is where his value will lie, being 6'11 and able to handle the rock...

NBA lottery pick

I kinda see why the Bucks drafted Thon Maker early. I was hoping he'd fall to Detroit. At least Ellenson is looking better than Skal so far. Those were the other PF's I was looking at going into the draft that could potentially be drafted by the Pistons.

Thon Maker is the biggest boom or bust prospect I have seen for quite some time. He could be anything really, from all-star to out of the league in 3 years -

I was thinking Skal would be a decent selection too, but the fact he dropped to 28 or something like that makes me feel like there were some major concerns with him...