Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Default Re: What is with the Scottie Pippen obsession on this board?

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    You really need to get away from the batman 1st option stuff. It a lot more involved to leading a team than just being a first option. Bill russell, kevin garnett, ben wallace, dwight howard aren't first option type players, but they were the most important players on their teams.

And why couldn't pippen be a first option? He was on a 55 win team. And they probably would've had the best record had pippen not missed 10 games.

Pip coulda been first option, coulda been a franchise player. But do you agree that he'd be an inferior first option/franchise player than Jordan, or Kobe, or Shaq, or Duncan (aka the pantheon of legends), etc?

If you answer no, then I know all I need to know about your Pippen homerness.

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    97 Bulls i hope you're paying attention to this thread and seeing what Kobe trolls claim "Jordan barely more valuable than Pete Meyers".

Keep that in mind next time you claim Jordan fans are worst or more delusional or whatever.
    Lol I see. Set em straight.

Pip coulda been first option, coulda been a franchise player. But do you agree that he'd be an inferior first option/franchise player than Jordan, or Kobe, or Shaq, or Duncan (aka the pantheon of legends), etc?

If you answer no, then I know all I need to know about your Pippen homerness.
    Yes, I don't think pippen would've been a top 10 type franchise player. I do see him being able to lead a team to a championship along with winning an mvp and a dpoy. But not multiple

I always say the reason the bulls were able to win 70 games is cuz they had 2 franchise players. And one of them is the greatest ever.

3-time NBA All-Star

Of course, on ISH, it is impossible for there to be an appreciation of greatness, without ripping another great player. IMHO, Pippen was at least a top-30 player. I don't agree with those that say he could have been a 25-30 ppg scorer, though. He had his opportunities without MJ, and was a 21-22 ppg scorer. Still, 22-9-6 seasons, along with exceptional defense, are rare.

But, MJ was a FIVE time MVP, and a SIX time FMVP. I understand that Pippen complimented MJ, and was a valuable contributor to those six titles, but clearly, Jordan was the major reason.

As for any Pippen-Kobe comparisons...well, there really aren't any. Kobe was a better all-around player, and a FAR better scorer. There have only been a handful of players in NBA history that were as unstoppable as Kobe was on the offensive end,... and Pippen wasn't close to being one of them.

Kobe-MJ? Here again...just use common sense. As great as Kobe has been...and he is a Top-10 player all-time...it pales in comparison to MJ's. And, while Bryant's career is not over, and he may very well win one or two more rings, it is STILL highly unlikely that he would be be considered a greater player (probably a 1% chance at best.) So what? Magic, Bird, Russell, et. al, had brilliant careers. Do we have to constantly compare them to MJ's career? I remember Magic's game six in '80...one of the most enjoyable sporting events of my lifetime. There was nothing that MJ did that will ever erase that from my memory. Same with Walton's '73 NCAA Finals, Wilt's '72 game six of the WCF's (and game five of the Finals), Shaq's dominance from '00 to '02, Kareem's (Alcindor's) "revenge" game against Hayes and Houston in the '68 NCAA semis, and Kobe's playoff runs in '09 and '10.

I have no problem with those that claim MJ as the GOAT. I just believe that there are several other players who also have a case. And I doubt that anyone will ever change my mind.

In any case, it is completely ridiculous to trash a great player in an attempt to build up another's career.
    Last edited by jlauber; 09-15-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

I have a question, does anyone really pay attention to anything the Alpha Wolf, Jacks3, The Logo, Eliteballer say? LOL those guys jump into every thread saying something exaggerated and disappears.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Of course, on ISH, it is impossible for there to be an appreciation of greatness, without ripping another great player. IMHO, Pippen was at least a top-30 player. I don't agree with those that say he could have been a 25-30 ppg scorer, though. He had his opportunities without MJ, and was a 21-22 ppg scorer. Still, 22-9-6 seasons, along with exceptional defense, are rare.

But, MJ was a FIVE time MVP, and a SIX time FMVP. I understand that Pippen complimented MJ, and was a valuable contributor to those six titles, but clearly, Jordan was the major reason.

As for any Pippen-Kobe comparisons...well, there really aren't any. Kobe was a better all-around player, and a FAR better scorer. There have only been a handful of players in NBA history that were as unstoppable as Kobe was on the offensive end,... and Pippen wasn't close to being one of them.

Kobe-MJ? Here again...just use common sense. As great as Kobe has been...and he is a Top-10 player all-time...it pales in comparison to MJ's. And, while Bryant's career is not over, and he may very well win one or two more rings, it is STILL highly unlikely that he would be be considered a greater player (probably a 1% chance at best.) So what? Magic, Bird, Russell, et. al, had brilliant careers. Do we have to constantly compare them to MJ's career? I remember Magic's game six in '80...one of the most enjoyable sporting events of my lifetime. There was nothing that MJ did that will ever erase that from my memory. Same with Walton's '73 NCAA Finals, Wilt's '72 game six of the WCF's (and game five of the Finals), Shaq's dominance from '00 to '02, Kareem's (Alcindor's) "revenge" game against Hayes and Houston in the '68 NCAA semis, and Kobe's playoff runs in '09 and '10.

I have no problem with those that claim MJ as the GOAT. I just believe that there are several other players who also have a case. And I doubt that anyone will ever change my mind.

In any case, it is completely ridiculous to trash a great player in an attempt to build up another's career.
    Hung up the phone right there (but still read some of your post). You, of all people should be the last person to talk about appreciating a certain player without bringing down another one.

Bottom line is, Scottie Pippen was a Great Player, who was never given the chance to prove his worth as a Franchise Player over a long stretch, nor did he command the fear and respect of a Franchise Player when he was given a chance to be a team leader. Scottie= GOAT Sidekick. It is what it is.

I have a question, does anyone really pay attention to anything the Alpha Wolf, Jacks3, The Logo, Eliteballer say? LOL those guys jump into every thread saying something exaggerated and disappears.
    Thing is, it's posters like them that made the OP start this thread. Quality posters and people with NBA knowledge and love for the game know how to appreciate Pippen, Kobe, Jordan without trying to discredit one of them to make the other look better.

Pippen is my favorite player of all time, just because I enjoyed watching him so much. He had a very smooth game and was a pleasure to watch on both ends of the court. One of the best players of all time and eventhough he wasn't the first point forward, he was still a very unique player. He has a lot of fans because of this. Too bad some people only like him because his impact in games can be used to discredit Jordan's career

They're on my blocked list so no.

Anyway, Pip is what he is. A top 30 player who was blessed to have played with MJ and the Bulls, but who was also good enough to be a big star on any other team.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Indeed. It just sickens me the way things have gone. To chant Scottie Pippen at lebron is supposed to be an insult? To be the greatest perimeter defender of all time, one of the greatest all around players, and a top 30-40 of all time player of all time is an insult? There is something wrong with sport fans when chanting a great players name to another player is supposed to be an insult to him.
    Yeah, it's disgusting that people use "Pippen" as an insult.

jordan and pippen are my two favourite players.
    everything they won they did it together.
    both would have been successful on their own but they needed each other to be great.
    i dont see how you can like one and not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Yeah, it's disgusting that people use "Pippen" as an insult.
    Yeah, Kobe was Pippen-like in his first three rings. A great compliment to Shaq.

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

I think people take things far too seriously here when you have posters like andgar923 and Nevaeh who seem to have done psychological studies on the Kobe stans.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Three Things

3) Kobe Fans - These sickening creatures want to make Pippen as great as possible to explain why Kobe is better than MJ.
    Agreed. Pippen is the lightning rod between the Jordan and Kobe camps, depending on the argument he's either overrated( to prop up Jordan) or underrated( to prop up Kobe). It's sickening.... I'm a huge Jordan fan and I can fully appreciate the value and intangibles Pippen brought to those Bulls title teams.

I rule the local playground

Keep that in mind next time you claim Jordan fans are worst or more delusional or whatever.
    you are

watch this

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Three Things

1) Good stats and resume - had the all-around game, that attracts an elemnt of people.

2) Jordan's sidekick. If your a Jordan lover or hater you need to tear Pippen down or build him up.

3) Kobe Fans - These sickening creatures want to make Pippen as great as possible to explain why Kobe is better than MJ.
    This... especially number 3