Question If everyone from 1960's on could put up their same stats today

What would be your top 5 since 1960?If everyone truly could put up identical numbers today from whenever they played.No trying to say they couldn't adjust if everyone truly could adjust name your top 5?

Default Re: If everyone from 1960's on could put up their same stats today

2 lazy to put them in order but to get this thread rolling ill do mines.

Big O
    Wilt
    Jordan
    Elgin Baylor
    Larry Legend

Just off pure stats/domination this would be my top 5

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I feel you could have worded this better.

You asking who the best is...giving equal credit to all numbers?

The problem with this line of thinking to me has always been....that putting up worse numbers automatically makes you worse to begin with. And I mean...even with the same player. That Wilt or Baylor couldnt do 35-40/ and 18-25 rebounds in the 70s or now...doesnt mean they would be performing worse. It means their team has the ball 85 times instead of 130.

They could be exactly as effective and not do those numbers.

People get so hung up on "Can they do it today? No. So worse era" and it just ignores the most basic thing....

Playing just as well with 75% of the possessions wouldnt result in the same stats. Plus...they were playing 44-48 minutes a game. You go look at the per 48 numbers of some guys in much later eras....they damn look like 60s production.

Nobody is gonna get 50 rebounds in a game today because they arent there to be had realistically by one person playing 34-38 minutes.

So you judge the general performance...not the total stats...its a closer look at what they were doing. but it takes a lot more research than people want to put in.

You are left with a lot of assumptions...some reasonable...about who could still be effective. Or flat out great. But so much has changed you cant just say give all numbers equal consideration.

Dwight just isnt in a game with 145 missed shots to be pulled down like in game 1 of the 67 finals. So I cant say judge his rebounding ability...against Nate thurmonds numbers.

It just isnt getting us anywhere.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out
    2 lazy to put them in order but to get this thread rolling ill do mines.

Big O
    Wilt
    Jordan
    Elgin Baylor
    Larry Legend

Just off pure stats/domination this would be my top 5
    As good as Larry was if your counting stats without any context whatsoever, he doesn't below. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure Jordan belongs

Wilt
    MJ
    Russell
    Kareem
    Oscar

If Wilt put up those kind of numbers today, he'd be number one. Oscar would replace Magic at the 5th sport.

Maybe Baylor should replace Russell, but Russell's rebounds and shot blocking would be off the charts (along with Wilt's).
    Last edited by Marchesk; 01-04-2015 at 01:17 PM.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I feel you could have worded this better.

You asking who the best is...giving equal credit to all numbers?

The problem with this line of thinking to me has always been....that putting up worse numbers automatically makes you worse to begin with. And I mean...even with the same player. That Wilt or Baylor couldnt do 35-40/ and 18-25 rebounds in the 70s or now...doesnt mean they would be performing worse. It means their team has the ball 85 times instead of 130.

They could be exactly as effective and not do those numbers.

People get so hung up on "Can they do it today? No. So worse era" and it just ignores the most basic thing....

Playing just as well with 75% of the possessions wouldnt result in the same stats. Plus...they were playing 44-48 minutes a game. You go look at the per 48 numbers of some guys in much later eras....they damn look like 60s production.

Nobody is gonna get 50 rebounds in a game today because they arent there to be had realistically by one person playing 34-38 minutes.

So you judge the general performance...not the total stats...its a closer look at what they were doing. but it takes a lot more research than people want to put in.

You are left with a lot of assumptions...some reasonable...about who could still be effective. Or flat out great. But so much has changed you cant just say give all numbers equal consideration.

Dwight just isnt in a game with 145 missed shots to be pulled down like in game 1 of the 67 finals. So I cant say judge his rebounding ability...against Nate thurmonds numbers.

It just isnt getting us anywhere.
    It doesn't get better than this right here. That's flat out real talk.

Most of ISH talk

Kblaze coolest of all times = C.O.A.T.

In other words, I guess OP is asking who has the best unadjusted stats of all-time.

Wilt would be #1 quite easily, Oscar, Russell, Baylor and young Kareem would contend for #2-5, with Russell being the biggest "if", since many would value his -now supernatural- 22.5 rpg very high, while others would point out his- poor for a big man now- FG% and his average overall scoring. After them would start appearing Jordan, Shaq, Bird, LeBron and Magic. Other great rebounders of the 60's, like Lucas and Thurmond, would also be ranked higher, since we all know that there were more available rebounds back then, although Thurmond might also lose some marks due to his FG%.