Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: The Case For Hakeem Olajuwon As The Greatest Player In The NBA History

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Prime Hakeem is as good as anyone. I suppose you could argue in that sort of roundabout way.
    Yup. I'd say career wise, he was good as anyone too. Thanks for the read and comment. By the way, i applaud you for that video you made about his scoring skills. Outstanding

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: The Case For Hakeem Olajuwon As The Greatest Player In The NBA History

Hakeem has a case for greatest prime or peak of all-time but he has no case for the greatest player of all-time career-wise. His accomplishments are just wayyyyyy behind the other all time greats like MJ, Russell, Kareem, etc.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    Hakeem was an easy guy to get to early in his career. He was out of position a lot on defense. He wasn't much of a passer and a bit of a black hole at times. Went for too many blocks. Even in his prime he would have a lot of games of four or five fouls. Great post game that was very effective for his era. I saw about 100 Hakeem games. I have him anywhere from 10 to 6 on my all time list.
    Early in his career, as early as his 2nd year as a pro he lead the Houston Rockets all the way to the '86 finals. And they didn't have an easy road to the finals, they faced the previous year's champ, Los Angeles Lakers, the same Lakers who had 3 HOF:ers on their team (Magic, Worthy and Kareem) and Hakeem abused the Lakers in that series.

Even in the finals he played great and he lead his Rocket team all the way to game 6 vs the '86 Boston team who is by many considered to be the greatest team of all-time. Sure, young Hakeem had flaws in his game but he was way better than what you just wrote.

Very good NBA starter

Not that I agree... but it's an interesting write up. Definitely an accomplished player. One who also lost a fair amount (numerous first round exits).

I think you could afford to consolidate the list a little bit, though.

I mean, "All-Around Game" and "Two way package" are basically the same thing... and "Low Post offense", "Post player", and "Foot work" could all probably be merged together into one solid, comprehensive paragraph... Same with "Accomplishments" and "Career Facts".

Not trying to nitpick, but, just mere writing-wise, seems like you're dissecting his game to death in a not very fluid way.

NBA rookie of the year

While his offense got better in his peak, his D got worst. I guess it had something to do with taking a lot of shots on offense. Dude didn't hydrate with water for stretches during the season. ****ing amazing. Hakeem badly outplayed my favorite player of all time, but I still love his game.
    Haha, first you wrote that he was out of position alot early in his career and now suddenly he became a worse defensive player in his prime?

The guy was the Defensive Player of the Year the same year he won it all with the Rockets in '94, stop the BS...

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Early in his career, as early as his 2nd year as a pro he lead the Houston Rockets all the way to the '86 finals. And they didn't have an easy road to the finals, they faced the previous year's champ, Los Angeles Lakers, the same Lakers who had 3 HOF:ers on their team (Magic, Worthy and Kareem) and Hakeem abused the Lakers in that series.

Even in the finals he played great and he lead his Rocket team all the way to game 6 vs the '86 Boston team who is by many considered to be the greatest team of all-time. Sure, young Hakeem had flaws in his game but he was way better than what you just wrote.
    I do not know how I said he wasn't good. All I said was my case for him not being the goat. I have him at #6 in my all time list. The year ye went to the finals he had three other scorers at over 15ppg. Sampson was a match up nightmare as well. Hakeem was great early in his career, but he also had many faults. I'll admit I didn't watch the 86 season. I started following the league towards the end of the 87 season.

NBA rookie of the year

I do not know how I said he wasn't good. All I said was my case for him not being the goat. I have him at #6 in my all time list. The year ye went to the finals he had three other scorers at over 15ppg. Sampson was a match up nightmare as well. Hakeem was great early in his career, but he also had many faults. I'll admit I didn't watch the 86 season. I started following the league towards the end of the 87 season.
    If you didn't watch the '86 season you shouldn't comment it either. The Rockets lost their starting PG John Lucas who didn't even touch the floor in the playoffs. Sure, the Rockets had a talented team but Hakeem in his 2nd year was the OBVIOUS leader of that team.

And the teams they faced in the playoffs had just as much talent, if not more than the Rockets. In the WCF they faced the Lakers who had 3 HOF:ers on their team and in the finals he faced a freaking Boston Celtic team with 5 players who averaged more than 15 points per game in the playoffs. The same Celtic team had 5 HOF:ers on their roster and 4 of them were in their primes or close to their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    Hakeem has a case for greatest prime or peak of all-time but he has no case for the greatest player of all-time career-wise. His accomplishments are just wayyyyyy behind the other all time greats like MJ, Russell, Kareem, etc.
    this.He's top 10 for sure but he lacks rings,mvps etc. to be called the GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by ballerz
    Hakeem is underrated but i dont think he has a case for GOAT. He could only win when jordan left and It would be hard to see that he has a better case of guys like Magic, Bird, Kareem, Russell etc.
    Hakeem's accolades dont make him GOAT, however its circumstances based. Give to Dream Showtime Lakers (Kareem's spot), Bird's Celtics (instead of McHale or Parish, or both ), etc., and watch him tear league apart. Talent, incredible drive in the Playoffs, overall impact... He had it all. Arguably the most complete center, ever.

Great college starter

Haha, first you wrote that he was out of position alot early in his career and now suddenly he became a worse defensive player in his prime?

The guy was the Defensive Player of the Year the same year he won it all with the Rockets in '94, stop the BS...
    He was at his peak defensively from 89 to 93. If you think he was better defensively from 94 to 96 you would be wrong. You know the years that everyone considers his prime. Instead of attacking other posters we should all share knowledge. I do not mind being corrected, or taught new things.Tell me he did not become an inferior defender when he won those rings.
    Last edited by Big#50; 09-07-2011 at 07:00 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

He was at his peak defensively from 89 to 93. If you think he was better defensively from 94 to 96 you would be wrong. You know the years that everyone considers his prime. Instead of attacking other posters we should all share knowledge. I do not mind being corrected. Tell me he did not become an inferior defender when he won those rings.
    I don't attack you, I just think you're an idiot. Sharing is one thing but claiming blatant lies without any knowledge is just silly.

Hakeem during his career got the DPOY-trophy twice, one in '93 and one in '94 and both those years he was in his prime. And both those years he was an amazing defender. Prime Hakeem was just as good as a defender as he ever was.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Prime Hakeem is as good as anyone. I suppose you could argue in that sort of roundabout way.
    I agree.

While I don't think Olajuwon has a legitimate case for GOAT, I don't think it would be a stretch to call the him the best overall combination of size, skill, and athleticism in NBA history.

better than MJ???

hahahahHAHAHAHhahahahahahah.

thanx. i needed that laugh

Great college starter

I don't attack you, I just think you're an idiot. Sharing is one thing but claiming blatant lies without any knowledge is just silly.

Hakeem during his career got the DPOY-trophy twice, one in '93 and one in '94 and both those years he was in his prime. And both those years he was an amazing defender. Prime Hakeem was just as good as a defender as he ever was.
    Nah, he really wasn't. 94 Hakeem focused more on his offensive game. His D took a back seat. He had a good defensive team around him in 94 and 95. I'm sure I'm not the only one that saw this. You should watch some games. It's clear as day. What blatant lies did I say? Only kids have your attitude. You must be young. You mention his 94 DPOY as proof. LOL

He has no case whatsoever for being the GOAT.