Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #31
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
Posts: 26,810
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe
Looked like the best big man in the world when being defended by a 22 y.o Turner and a bunch of midgets under FIBA rules

Embiid outplays him H2H and Jokic did work on him too.

Not really. The first game against Philly Gobert certainly got the best of him. Philly won because they put Embiid on the 3 point line and got Rudy away from the rim.

Jokic got the best of him in at least one game and Gobert got the best of him in at least one. Won't be so easy this year because you will have to cover all 5 guys on the floor(unless Exum is in). No Bricky or Favors to leave open while you double Mitchell or sag on Gobert
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #32
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
Posts: 26,810
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Bill Russell was like fourth in the NBA in assists at one point and was eventually the teams literal coach. Canít really compare a guy like that to Gobert. There is no modern equivalent of what Bill Russell meant to the Celtics.

And whatever anybody thinks unless there is health to consider at the moment Rudy is not going to be picked over Jokic and Embiid by many of the people trusted to make that decision.

Them beating team USA means as much as when Carlos Arroyo, sarunas jasikevicius, Vspan, Vlade and Peja did it in various years. And all the teams they beat had better players than we just sent.

02 Paul Pierce would be the best player on this team. So would 04 Duncan.

It really doesnít come down to individual talent anymore. We watched a team with prime Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Paul and so on barely win. In 2000 they won by a single shot with a way more talented team than we just sent. Itís a different game and that should be clear enough by now.


Kevin Garnett, Vince Carter, Jason Kidd, Ray Allen and so on in 2000 literally won by a missed three-pointer at the buzzer up two. And it wasnít even the gold medal game. It was against sarunas jasikevicius, Darius songiala, and some people most never heard of.

If a team with like seven Hall of Famerís can be that close to losing to a team with about 1 1/2 NBA players this group of random guys losing to a team with several shouldnít be that shocking. And it certainly doesnít mean anybody on the team is anything exceptional. Gobert may be exceptional but he doesnít prove it beating the worst group of pros ever(aside from the CBA all stars sent during the 99 lockout).

Most of the nba could beat this team. Hell all of the nba. Knowing how to play together matters. Iím not sure some of the college Olympic teams from when people stayed in school couldnít beat this team.

Gobert and Fornier did it. You betting against 84 Jordan, Ewing, and Mullin?

2004 was the worst team by far. Losing to Puerto Rico by 20 clinches it
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #33
ImKobe
NBA Legend
 
ImKobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 19,288
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Not really. The first game against Philly Gobert certainly got the best of him. Philly won because they put Embiid on the 3 point line and got Rudy away from the rim.

Jokic got the best of him in at least one game and Gobert got the best of him in at least one. Won't be so easy this year because you will have to cover all 5 guys on the floor(unless Exum is in). No Bricky or Favors to leave open while you double Mitchell or sag on Gobert

Pretty sure that Embiid was the reason Philly won that first game if you're referring to last season, but I'm just responding to OP's stupid overreaction after one international game against a team with a weak frontcourt. We all agree that Gobert is a top 15-20 NBA player so beating the weakest version of Team USA doesn't automatically put him above Embiid and Jokic.

Rudy's the best defensive big man in the league but Embiid and Jokic have the full package on offense while Gobert's game is quite limited on that end.
ImKobe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #34
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
Posts: 26,810
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe
Pretty sure that Embiid was the reason Philly won that first game if you're referring to last season, but I'm just responding to OP's stupid overreaction after one international game against a team with a weak frontcourt. We all agree that Gobert is a top 15-20 NBA player so beating the weakest version of Team USA doesn't automatically put him above Embiid and Jokic.

Rudy's the best defensive big man in the league but Embiid and Jokic have the full package on offense while Gobert's game is quite limited on that end.

7-20 1-4 3pt 26 minutes played in game one probably because of the 4 fouls. They won because he drew Rudy away from the rim by standing at the 3 point line

Had a big game in the 2nd one as did Gobert

Jokic is limited defensively. There's two sides of the court
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #35
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
Posts: 26,810
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Jazz took 3 of 4 from Denver.

Jokic missed a triple double in the first one because he shot poorly and turned the ball over(Gobert effect). Gobert was average 12/12. Denver won at home

Next game Jokic was great and Gobert not at his best from the field but got to the line(5 fouls on Jokic) 15/8/3 ass/3 blk. Jazz won at home

held Jokic down again from the field in the next one plus caused 5 turnovers by the big man. Rudy 16/8/4 blocks. Both were in foul trouble. Jazz won a mile high

Last game Jokic fouled out in 16 minutes with another bad night from the field. Rudy with 20/10 Jazz win again in Zion

If I remember correctly Jokic got ejected in one of them too? Based on those 4 games I imagine Gobert is the last guy he wants to face and one of the toughest matchups for Denver. Only gets tougher this year with a real team around Rudy

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 09-11-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #36
Smoke117
Everyone's got a price
 
Smoke117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,247
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
7-20 1-4 3pt 26 minutes played in game one probably because of the 4 fouls. They won because he drew Rudy away from the rim by standing at the 3 point line

Had a big game in the 2nd one as did Gobert

Jokic is limited defensively. There's two sides of the court

Jokic has a bigger overall impact, period. Joel Embiid has a bigger overall impact, period. Gobert is not the best center in the NBA, period. Some silly international game doesn't change anything.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #37
imdaman99
Knicks all da way
 
imdaman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,014
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Gobert has a great deal of impact for the Jazz but I'll take Jokic. Both of them take the game more seriously than Embiid though, who should be the best but I need him to prove it out there.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #38
fourkicks44
Long Live The Process
 
fourkicks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hinkie's Apple Orchard
Posts: 4,531
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Hmmm....

Embiid comparable offense to Jockic.

Embiid comparable defense to Gobert.

Jockic incomparable defense to Gobert.

Gobert incomparable offense to Jockic
fourkicks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #39
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
Posts: 26,810
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Embiid comparable durability to Yao Ming
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #40
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 10,321
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You

Jokic is limited defensively. There's two sides of the court

He's not tho. Not anymore so than any C in this era. Gobert literally played 24 minutes in a playoff game because they kept making him switch. Just like they do to Jokic sometimes, and every other big men in the league. I've already posted Jokic's defensive stats which are all either 1st-3rd on the entire team and the Nuggets had a top 15 defense.

I just don't understand how you can say with a straight face that a guy that averaged 11/11 with 2.6 blocks is better than someone who just averaged 25/13/8 in the playoffs. Even in the regular season. Jokic is one of how many players in the entire league that can lead his team in 4 major stats? How many teams this year won 50+ games with 1 All-Star? Ignoring numbers Jokic is an elite passer, elite shooter for a big man, elite inside, elite handle for a big men, average defender, and very good on the glass. Gobert is better on the glass, better at dunking, better at setting screens. He's literally better at 3 things.

I really like Gobert as a player but he averages 12/10/1 with 2 blocks in 25 playoffs game. He's older and been in the league longer than Jokic as well
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #41
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 10,321
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourkicks44
Hmmm....

Embiid comparable offense to Jockic.

Embiid comparable defense to Gobert.

Jockic incomparable defense to Gobert.

Gobert incomparable offense to Jockic

Your insane if you think there comparable offensively. Jokic will most likely go down as the greatest passing C in the history of the game. Jokic can do everything offensively which is why all of his offensive stats blown Gobert's out of the water.

Jokic's defense is really underrated. Nuggets had the 10th best defense I believe this year and that's with a ton of injuries.

Jokic's DRtg was 105, his DBPM, was 3.8, had 4.3 DW's. All near the top of his team, and not that far behind the other two. Jokic just can't block shots. He's a very intelligent player who knows positioning, has very quick hands which is why he led the Nuggets in steals, and has improved in alot of areas.

He wasn't the one getting yanked in a playoff game because he kept getting switched on a guard. Gobert played 24 minutes, and only 30 MPG in the playoffs for a reason
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #42
fourkicks44
Long Live The Process
 
fourkicks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hinkie's Apple Orchard
Posts: 4,531
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
He's not tho. Not anymore so than any C in this era. Gobert literally played 24 minutes in a playoff game because they kept making him switch. Just like they do to Jokic sometimes, and every other big men in the league. I've already posted Jokic's defensive stats which are all either 1st-3rd on the entire team and the Nuggets had a top 15 defense.

I just don't understand how you can say with a straight face that a guy that averaged 11/11 with 2.6 blocks is better than someone who just averaged 25/13/8 in the playoffs. Even in the regular season. Jokic is one of how many players in the entire league that can lead his team in 4 major stats? How many teams this year won 50+ games with 1 All-Star? Ignoring numbers Jokic is an elite passer, elite shooter for a big man, elite inside, elite handle for a big men, average defender, and very good on the glass. Gobert is better on the glass, better at dunking, better at setting screens. He's literally better at 3 things.

I really like Gobert as a player but he averages 12/10/1 with 2 blocks in 25 playoffs game. He's older and been in the league longer than Jokic as well

It's all about swithchablity, man. That is what is required to be an elite defender this day and age.

Gobert and Embiid a well more equipped and able than Jokic. It's just a fact.
fourkicks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #43
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
Posts: 26,810
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
He's not tho. Not anymore so than any C in this era. Gobert literally played 24 minutes in a playoff game because they kept making him switch. Just like they do to Jokic sometimes, and every other big men in the league. I've already posted Jokic's defensive stats which are all either 1st-3rd on the entire team and the Nuggets had a top 15 defense.

I just don't understand how you can say with a straight face that a guy that averaged 11/11 with 2.6 blocks is better than someone who just averaged 25/13/8 in the playoffs. Even in the regular season. Jokic is one of how many players in the entire league that can lead his team in 4 major stats? How many teams this year won 50+ games with 1 All-Star? Ignoring numbers Jokic is an elite passer, elite shooter for a big man, elite inside, elite handle for a big men, average defender, and very good on the glass. Gobert is better on the glass, better at dunking, better at setting screens. He's literally better at 3 things.

I really like Gobert as a player but he averages 12/10/1 with 2 blocks in 25 playoffs game. He's older and been in the league longer than Jokic as well

Gobert sat because Favors was going good. He has no problem switching.

How many teams won 50 with no all-stars other than the Jazz?

Gobert is the best defender. In a select class of guys that won DPOTY 2 years in a row. The best finisher in the game. You do know that the dunk is still the most efficient shot in the game and Rudy set a new record for dunks? You do know he's the best at setting screens in the whole league? That is the Jazz offense just as running the offense through Jokic is Denver's. He's better at running the floor. He's more athletic. He won the head to head matchup clearly too.

Denver had a better team around Jokic. Gobert has taken a lottery team places.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #44
fourkicks44
Long Live The Process
 
fourkicks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hinkie's Apple Orchard
Posts: 4,531
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
Your insane if you think there comparable offensively. Jokic will most likely go down as the greatest passing C in the history of the game. Jokic can do everything offensively which is why all of his offensive stats blown Gobert's out of the water.

Jokic's defense is really underrated. Nuggets had the 10th best defense I believe this year and that's with a ton of injuries.

Jokic's DRtg was 105, his DBPM, was 3.8, had 4.3 DW's. All near the top of his team, and not that far behind the other two. Jokic just can't block shots. He's a very intelligent player who knows positioning, has very quick hands which is why he led the Nuggets in steals, and has improved in alot of areas.

He wasn't the one getting yanked in a playoff game because he kept getting switched on a guard. Gobert played 24 minutes, and only 30 MPG in the playoffs for a reason

I am insane then.
fourkicks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #45
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 10,321
Default Re: Gobert is the best center in the NBA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Gobert sat because Favors was going good. He has no problem switching.

How many teams won 50 with no all-stars other than the Jazz?

Gobert is the best defender. In a select class of guys that won DPOTY 2 years in a row. The best finisher in the game. You do know that the dunk is still the most efficient shot in the game and Rudy set a new record for dunks? You do know he's the best at setting screens in the whole league? That is the Jazz offense just as running the offense through Jokic is Denver's. He's better at running the floor. He's more athletic. He won the head to head matchup clearly too.

Denver had a better team around Jokic. Gobert has taken a lottery team places.

Yeah but you can't always get a dunk which is why Gobert averaged 11 points in the playoffs this year and 12 for his career. It's why Jokic so was so successful in the playoffs. He's so versatile it's tough for teams to shut down. Denver has a better team around Jokic? I mean maybe. It's certainly debatable. Weird debate given Gobert played 24 minutes in Utah's only playoff win, and in the regular season Mitchell was there leading scorer by 8 whopping points while Jokic lead Denver in PPG/APG/RPG/SPG.

Jokic was first team All-NBA and 4th in MVP voting for a reason. Like do you actually think Gobert was as good/better than Jokic last year in the regular season/playoffs?
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

NBA Daily Roundup

NBA Scores

NBA Stats

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

Fantasy Basketball

Basketball Sneakers

Search Site

STAY CONNECTED
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube














Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy