Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Why are the spurs successful playing so slow and taking midrange shots

I thought grind it out basketball was dead and they are playing two 7 footers in the starting lineup. They are 20th in pace. I thought 90s teams would never be able to play in the nba again The only thing that matters is players that are able to excute a system and play defense. Pop has adjusted his team back because of age and he still successful.

Banned

Default Re: Why are the spurs successful playing so slow and taking midrange shots

You answered your own question.

What's the point to this thread?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Why are the spurs successful playing so slow and taking midrange shots

The Spurs clearly think the way to go against the Warriors is to slow the game down to a crawl and be able to lock into your defense and play harder defense because of creating less possessions.

Their offense is good, but not elite...so far at least.

They are good because they have by far the best defense so far in the league.

I don't know how you beat the Warriors, but slowing the game down, not taking a bunch of long shots that lead to transition chances, and playing elite defense....sure seems like it makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    The Spurs clearly think the way to go against the Warriors is to slow the game down to a crawl and be able to lock into your defense and play harder defense because of creating less possessions.

Their offense is good, but not elite...so far at least.

They are good because they have by far the best defense so far in the league.

I don't know how you beat the Warriors, but slowing the game down, not taking a bunch of long shots that lead to transition chances, and playing elite defense....sure seems like it makes the most sense.
    it would nice if they could attack Curry from the point guard spot...but I think Parker is too old to do that.

Local High School Star

The Spurs inside-out way of playing will NEVER go out of style, the problem is that today's NBA is devoid of true old school low post big man like Tim Duncan who was the last of a dying breed but showed the public by anchoring the most successful and consistent franshise in American SPORTS for the las 20 years that old school solid fundamentals will beat new age dumbed down athletes 99% of the time.

After Duncan is gone, the entire league will turn into Warrior copycats, not because the whole "3>2" warped BS way of thinking but because nobody is going to have the ability to play like the Spurs without a TRUE low post defensive and offensive anchor like TD.

Like I've said numerous times, the increase in 3 pointers is not evolution, it's basically SURVIVAL for modern offenses who have no dominant low post players, PG's who dominate the ball and are focused on scoring 25+ a game and a general NBA who sees new entries developing ON THE JOB instead of coming in well versed in basic fundamentals like they did 30 years ago. Even with the increase in 3's almost half the teams in the NBA still struggle to break 100ppg, look at the pathetic East for the past 15 years as an example!

Tough defensive teams have always been the most successful, even in this "era". Lebron's Heat was the same thing, and Dallas won because of a combination of Dirk's unstoppable high post game and midrange jumper AND the tough defense of Dallas. Even GS last year was a top defensive team.

As for the offense, it's always been efficient offenses that have won championships. It doesn't really matter how you get your points, as long as you get them. Three point emphasis adds a new dimension, but the formula still holds true for the most part.

GS is an anomaly because Stephen Curry himself is an anomaly. His shooting defies all logic.

Local High School Star

Curry's shooting defies logic because you can't put a hand on him thanks to the video game rules the NBA has put in place for the last 15 years!

The NBA got their initial fix of Michael Jordan and then went OVERBOARD to favor and make life easier for perimeter players!

The league have a choice as players started to get worse and worse in the fundamentals department and players from 5 to 7 feet wanted to plate more like Michael Jordan instead of Kareem, Moses or McHale.

What the NBA has now is not real basketball, it's an entertainment driven soft game without any real intense rivalries between players and teams. Very boring to say the least

Decent college freshman

Spurs play methodical, no nonsense basketball. They execute on the offensive end and suffocate on the defensive end. Their style has nothing to do with beating the Warriors. This is their style period. Kerr took a lot from the Spurs playbook and used it for the Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarriors
    Spurs play methodical, no nonsense basketball. They execute on the offensive end and suffocate on the defensive end. Their style has nothing to do with beating the Warriors. This is their style period. Kerr took a lot from the Spurs playbook and used it for the Warriors.
    This. And hoping Phil Jackson is thinking about it.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    This. And hoping Phil Jackson is thinking about it.
    Is Phil still stuck on the triangle?

It's the template of what they're doing now, it would seem. But they mix it up as it's a fairly ancient style. In my opinion, I think Phil uses it as a way to determine work effort and IQ. It certainly exposes player's weaknesses.

Very good NBA starter

Spurs won a championship recently with a Kawhi-Duncan-Splitter front court and I'm confident they could do it again with a traditional type lineup. Just need to mesh, be healthy, and play to the best of their abilities. Will they be the best team in the league? who knows. But they're looking good for having alot of new faces. Bust best in the league isn't determined, definitively, till the end of the Finals, not in late november. I'd rather the Warriors peaking now than after the AS break (assuming they come down to earth which I think they will). But they are the defending champs and look solid

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    It's the template of what they're doing now, it would seem. But they mix it up as it's a fairly ancient style. In my opinion, I think Phil uses it as a way to determine work effort and IQ. It certainly exposes player's weaknesses.
    Maybe he'll get with the times.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Spurs won a championship recently with a Kawhi-Duncan-Splitter front court and I'm confident they could do it again with a traditional type lineup. Just need to mesh, be healthy, and play to the best of their abilities. Will they be the best team in the league? who knows. But they're looking good for having alot of new faces. Bust best in the league isn't determined, definitively, till the end of the Finals, not in late november. I'd rather the Warriors peaking now than after the AS break (assuming they come down to earth which I think they will). But they are the defending champs and look solid
    Yeah I've been keeping my eye on the Spurs for a long time. People call their style of play boring but I've always found it fascinating. One thing that grabbed my attention is how they didn't waste energy fighting over offensive rebounds. They immediately ran back on defense after a missed shot. I'm sure they love being under the radar.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Any and every system works, as long as you execute it properly. The important thing is using a system that fits your personnel. If you tried to use aa system built around three point shooting, but don't have shooters, you are going to suck. See Pelicans.