Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Dan Gilbert is a hypocrite- How does he justify helping Nets?

Quote Originally Posted by b1imtf
    I find it odd they're asking for Brooks after drafting Waiters
    It is very sketchy right now, but I don't think they are asking for Brooks...

From what I'm hearing, the Cavs want Humphries. They have been searching for a 4th team that will take on Brooks for a first round pick (which would go to Orlando).

All very confusing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Did you see his letter about Paul trade? How is this different?
    Couldn't care less about the Paul trade and none of us have any idea what this even entails, so as I said... I will reserve judgment until/if it is made... And so should you.

You are looking at this one way... Brooklyn gets Howard. That is all you care about and I can see why some outside fan wouldn't care what Orlando/Cleveland are getting in return... But I do care... A lot. Much more than wherever Dwight Howard lands.

Comparing this to the James situation is just silly. We received a trade exception for James. Orlando is looking at potentially 4 first round picks plus assets.

And, look what the Hornets received for Paul. They now have one of the brightest futures of any team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    Hes obviously doing this to stick it to LeBron, and rightfully so. I hate the nets, but i hate the Heat even more. If the Nets gets Howard they could potentially knock the CHeat off sometime in the playoffs
    Knicks can potentially knock the Heat, if the Nets get Howard they will beat the Heat.

People are really underrating the Nets. D-Will when motivated is deadly as anyone in the league as we Knicks fan saw in his rematch with Lin. JJ is perfect as a second or third option, take away the pressure of being the man from his shoulders and he will produce, plus Howard and Crash? The only question mark is depth.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Couldn't care less about the Paul trade and none of us have any idea what this even entails, so as I said... I will reserve judgment until/if it is made... And so should you.

You are looking at this one way... Brooklyn gets Howard. That is all you care about and I can see why some outside fan wouldn't care what Orlando/Cleveland are getting in return... But I do care... A lot. Much more than wherever Dwight Howard lands.

Comparing this to the James situation is just silly. We received a trade exception for James. Orlando is looking at potentially 4 first round picks plus assets.

And, look what the Hornets received for Paul. They now have one of the brightest futures of any team in the league.
    If the Cavs want Humphries, why not sign him to a deal that is actually worthwhile instead of a 1 year, slap-to-your-face kind of contract, as it is being reported?

As a Cavs fan, wouldn't you rather give Thompson MORE playing time to develop, rather than take significant time away?

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Note: This is not an anti Nets topic (in no way should Net fans apologize for ripping Orlando off) nor an anti Cav topic (it's not a fans fault their owners are stupid, trust me - i know). This is about Dan Gilbert.Dan Gilbert not only railed against the Lebron trade (for betraying him, blah blah) but also the fairness of it, the fact stars were teaming up, the fact it was bad for small markets, etc.

This also came out in his diatribe against the Chris Paul trade, which he again cited issues of fairness, etc.

Well guess what? Dan Gilbert is going to help the Nets facilitate bringing their two stars together in Brooklyn, and helping Dwight Howard make a fellow small market owner take it up the ass on his way out of town.

How exactly can he justify this? How much of a hypocrite is he? And note: if this in someway is a plan to hurt Lebron's chances, he is even stupider than i thought. Because he's putting up a huge roadblock to his own team, a team i'm assuming he'd like to contend at some point.

Dan Gilbert is a hypocrite. We already knew he was a bitter angry old man, i had no idea he had no integrity either. He can't even hold to his own (albeit misguided) principles.

Dear Dan - your job is to help Cleveland win, nothing else. Enjoy Humphries, the Nets beating your ass, Miami still beating your ass, and your high draft pick from last year not playing or developing this year as he sits on his ass. Oh, also enjoy Kylie Irving leaving in a few years because Cleveland can't compete with two juggernauts in the East instead of one.
    http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255389

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    If the Cavs want Humphries, why not sign him to a deal that is actually worthwhile instead of a 1 year, slap-to-your-face kind of contract, as it is being reported?

As a Cavs fan, wouldn't you rather give Thompson MORE playing time to develop, rather than take significant time away?
    If I were to guess, we are taking on Humphries, not as as a long-term piece, but as a trading block to make another deal down the road. And, no... I don't want to sign him to an overblown contract that he isn't worth for exactly that reason.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    Knicks can potentially knock the Heat, if the Nets get Howard they will beat the Heat.

People are really underrating the Nets. D-Will when motivated is deadly as anyone in the league as we Knicks fan saw in his rematch with Lin. JJ is perfect as a second or third option, take away the pressure of being the man from his shoulders and he will produce, plus Howard and Crash? The only question mark is depth.
    Knicks bringing back virtually the same team, while Miami, who won the championship, improve their team, and that somehow translates into the Knicks potential to beat the Heat?

Care to explain? I'm going to assume you'll say a healthy Lin + Shumpert = great chances to dethrone Lebron and co.?

College star

If I were to guess, we are taking on Humphries, not as as a long-term piece, but as a trading block to make another deal down the road. And, no... I don't want to sign him to an overblown contract that he isn't worth for exactly that reason.
    Which then brings me back to my point earlier today:

Who the **** does Humphries have representing him? He's a unrestricted free agent for God's sake!!!! Why are you signing another 1 year deal for a team that's main objective is to just trade you at best chance?!! You are a free agent for a reason, to obtain financial security and direct the path of your immediate future, why are you allowing yourself to be a pawn in the Net's, Cavs, and Dwight's game of checkers???

Doesn't make sense. I knew he was a asshole, but damn I didn't think he was a dumbass. Get new representation cotdamn

The Holy Trinity

Knicks can potentially knock the Heat
    I agree. The Knicks with Melo, a healthy Amare, J-Lin, J-Kidd (who will mentor J-Lin), a Chandler-Camby center combo, and keeping Shumpert may be downright formidable.

Meanwhile, the Heat only added Ray, who isn't that much of an upgrade over Miller (what you gain in shooting, you lose in rebounding and playmaking). And they continue to do nothing about their interior.

Knicks bringing back virtually the same team, while Miami, who won the championship, improve their team, and that somehow translates into the Knicks potential to beat the Heat?

Care to explain? I'm going to assume you'll say a healthy Lin + Shumpert = great chances to dethrone Lebron and co.?
    Ray Allen great improvement It's not like Miami 3 point shooting outside the big 3, was already almost perfect during the finals.

Knicks virtually the same team? Ok. Good to know.

Let me put this as simple as i can... if the Knicks were 100% healthy and with a full season behind them and the Heat starting five played only 7 games together and had the same amount of injuries the Knicks had, there's no chance in hell, i repeat, there's no chance in hell, the Heat gets out of the first round.

Which then brings me back to my point earlier today:

Who the **** does Humphries have representing him? He's a unrestricted free agent for God's sake!!!! Why are you signing another 1 year deal for a team that's main objective is to just trade you at best chance?!! You are a free agent for a reason, to obtain financial security and direct the path of your immediate future, why are you allowing yourself to be a pawn in the Net's, Cavs, and Dwight's game of checkers???

Doesn't make sense. I knew he was a asshole, but damn I didn't think he was a dumbass. Get new representation cotdamn
    I will agree that I don't know what the hell Humphries and his team are thinking, here... I'm just glad we probably aren't the ones that are going to have to overpay for this guy, though. Even if we were to sign him to, say, a 4 year deal, I believe it would still be used as a trading chip later on.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 07-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.

College star

Ray Allen great improvement It's not like Miami 3 point shooting outside the big 3, was already almost perfect during the finals.

Knicks virtually the same team? Ok. Good to know.

Let me put this as simple as i can... if the Knicks were 100% healthy and with a full season behind them and the Heat starting five played only 7 games together and had the same amount of injuries the Knicks had, there's no chance in hell, i repeat, there's no chance in hell, the Heat gets out of the first round.
    I'm from NY, so I've learned a long time ago it's futile to argue with Knicks fans.

Same shit, different off-season.

we know he's a hypocrite. as soon as they lost Lebron "small markets can't compete" the guy is a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    we know he's a hypocrite. as soon as they lost Lebron "small markets can't compete" the guy is a tool.
    Even though his argument made no sense as it relates to this situation... And Chris Grant is the guy pulling the strings for the Cavs, not Dan Gilbert.

But, whatever makes you feel better.

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

Even though his argument made no sense as it relates to this situation... And Chris Grant is the guy pulling the strings for the Cavs, not Dan Gilbert.

But, whatever makes you feel better.
    I was about to say this, and maybe the Cavs actually you know, want to make their team get better?