Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: Losing with home court advantage (top 12 players of all time)

How many times did MJ have home court advantage tho?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    How many times did MJ have home court advantage tho?
    24 times.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 32
    24 times.

GOAT gonna GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    MJ goatin it up as always

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Huh?

Maybe it's because bigs impact the game more than guards. That's why the top 20 is dominated by bigs over the other 3 positions.

ya.. bigs are the difference maker because theres so very few great ones

like i said..

you select a big because theyre not as great as guards for the most part
    if a team has a great center. they have an advantage over most teams because theres very few of them

you usually need to pare a great outside player with a great inside player to win

so the few lucky teams to get one of those rare bigs will have that championship level advantage

thats why theres so many bigs in the top 20

but if you noticed... all of those bigs had great players to help them

just like most of those non bigs had bigs to help them. it goes both ways

its that combo that you need to make in order to win. so thats why you select a big first.

ofcourse the team with shaq is gonna win. ofcourse the team with kareem is gonna win... ofcourse the team with russell is gonna win

they had kobe/magic/cousy... and while many other teams in the league had great wings ...no other team ( or maybe 1 ) had anyone comparable to shaq/kareem or russell

its not that theyre better. they just get to take advantage of the other teams scrubs more often than any other position

kobe had to go up against legends every other game. shaq had to go up against todd mcculloughs
    Last edited by kennethgriffin; 08-18-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    ya.. bigs are the difference maker because theres so very few great ones

like i said..

if a team has a great center. they have an advantage over most teams because theres very few of them

you usually need to pare a great outside player with a great inside player to win

so the few lucky teams to get one of those rare bigs will have that championship level advantage

thats why theres so many bigs in the top 20

but if you noticed... all of those bigs had great players to help them

just like most of those non bigs had bigs to help them. it goes both ways

its that combo that you need to make in order to win. so thats why you select a big first.

ofcourse the team with shaq is gonna win. ofcourse the team with kareem is gonna win... ofcourse the team with russell is gonna win

they had kobe/magic/cousy... and while many other teams in the league had great wings ...no other team ( or maybe 1 ) had anyone comparable to shaq/kareem or russell

its not that theyre better. they just get to take advantage of the other teams scrubs more often than any other position

kobe had to go up against legends every other game. shaq had to go up against todd mcculloughs
    There's so many holes and flaws in your logic...as always.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, never lost a game in the first round on his six championship runs.
    Every champion from 1985- 1998 swept the first round other than Hakeem's Rockets.

1. MJ (greatest player)
    2. Russell (greatest winner)
    3. Wilt (greatest individual force)
    4. Kareem (greatest longevity)
    5. Magic (greatest playermaker)
    6. Bird (greatest mind)

7. Kobe (greatest player part 2)
    8. Duncan (greatest winner part 2)
    9. Shaq (greatest individual force part 2)
    10 Hakeem (greatest longevity part 2)
    11. Lebron (greatest playermaker part 2)
    I can be down with this assessment

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Just couldn't decide who was number 13, 14 and 15 (Moses, West, Dr. J, Baylor, Dirk.......)

And for the record.

1. MJ (greatest player)
    2. Russell (greatest winner)
    3. Wilt (greatest individual force)
    4. Kareem (greatest longevity)
    5. Magic (greatest playermaker)
    6. Bird (greatest mind)

7. Kobe (greatest player part 2)
    8. Duncan (greatest winner part 2)
    9. Shaq (greatest individual force part 2)
    10 Hakeem (greatest longevity part 2)
    11. Lebron (greatest playermaker part 2)
    12. Oscar (greatest mind part 2)

One way of doing it anyway.
    Good list. I have Kobe at 6. Although having Duncan as greatest winner over Kobe , Kareem & Magic? Eh idk but an arguement can definitely be made

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    There's so many holes and flaws in your logic...as always.

no.. its a fact that the gap between average centers and great centers is way bigger than average guards/forwards compared to great guards/forwards

if you dont have a center averaging 20/10.. 90% of the time your lucky just to have a big man who can get you 10/8

but when you dont have a great guard/forward averaging 25/5 for you. you can atleast depend on an average good guard/forward to get you 18/4

and 2 way players ( offense/defense ) is much more common in guards/forwards

its even more rare to find a center thats great at both sides of the floor

if your lucky to even find a guy whos great at defense. you give that big man a huge contract even if he cant average over 10ppg

like larry sanders is about it get

no.. its a fact that the gap between average centers and great centers is way bigger than average guards/forwards compared to great guards/forwards

if you dont have a center averaging 20/10.. 90% of the time your lucky just to have a big man who can get you 10/8

but when you dont have a great guard/forward averaging 25/5 for you. you can atleast depend on an average good guard/forward to get you 18/4

and 2 way players ( offense/defense ) is much more common in guards/forwards

its even more rare to find a center thats great at both sides of the floor

if your lucky to even find a guy whos great at defense. you give that big man a huge contract even if he cant average over 10ppg

like larry sanders is about it get
    I don't care how many different ways you try to explain it, the entire premise behind your line of thought is still severely flawed. Of course that's nothing new when it comes to your posts, yet you always post the same general things over and over, like you believe you're educating people, when in all reality 99.9% of what you post isn't worth reading.

And yes, I've wasted too much time reading your posts.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I don't care how many different ways you try to explain it, the entire premise behind your line of thought is still severely flawed. Of course that's nothing new when it comes to your posts, yet you always post the same general things over and over, like you believe you're educating people, when in all reality 99.9% of what you post isn't worth reading.

And yes, I've wasted too much time reading your posts.
    Well, when talking about people saying who theyd take in a draft right now, hes kind of right.

Good bigs in this league are far more scarce than good perimeter players.

If you have to choose between prime Chris Webber and prime Tmac you probably take webber. Because he can cause far more matchup problems. If tmac sees lebron in the finals hell probably get outplayed. If Webber sees Bosh in his current form he probably spanks him and gives his team a big differential there that needs to be made up elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Well, when talking about people saying who theyd take in a draft right now, hes kind of right.

If you have to choose between prime Chris Webber and prime Tmac you probably take webber. Because he can cause far more matchup problems. If tmac sees lebron in the finals hell probably get outplayed. If Webber sees Bosh in his current form he probably spanks him and gives his team a big differential there that needs to be made up elsewhere.
    I don't know about KG, but I agree with that. This part:

I have a problem with in griff's post.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but the majority of the greatest players in history are big men. I just don't agree with his premise of it being because there's fewer great big men, or the gap between a great center/big is bigger than the gap between a great guard/wing.

The great big men are inherently better and more impactful because their size allows them to impact the game to a greater degree on the defensive end, and the great bigs are/were also very good to great offensive players.

And like fpliii said, that's the part that I really have a problem with.
    Last edited by KG215; 08-19-2013 at 01:48 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I don't know about KG, but I agree with that. This part:

I have a problem with in griff's post.
    Yea I took that part as 'guards are more skilled, well rounded basketball players'.. like he said earlier, a 6'5 guy is no lock to come close to the professional ranks.. he has to have great handles, shooting, passing, defense.. hes got to be a complete basketball player.

But if you're 6'11 and can run in a straight line/jump/ etc. you pretty much dont have to work as hard to make it. Centers nowadays cant shoot, have weak post moves, dont know how to control an offense on the block, all they do is defend, rebound, and throw up a few simple offensive moves.. for the most part, guards are more impressive basketball players.. that happen to be shorter and less impactful than big men who can change the game in more ways directly due to their height.

if that makes sense lol