Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Can Lebron play in the hand checking era?

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    Lebron has trouble with zones, not hand checking. you put him in that era and he would truly be greater than MJ. both offensively and defensively.
    Whoahhh there buddy :

I know your a fan of Lebron, but you say that like it's fact when really most people will disagree with what you said.

IMO, Lebron would adapt and be forced to fast track an efficient postup game. He would also be mentally stronger, as he would have to earn a reputation and get paid on merit, which I believe is why he struggles mentally at times in today's league. Guys of the handchecking era were a different breed to players today...

As for defenses, he most certainly wouldn't find it easier in the handchecking era. Defenses were alot more physical and there were some brutal trashtalkers who threw you off your game.

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Whoahhh there buddy :

I know your a fan of Lebron, but you say that like it's fact when really most people will disagree with what you said.

IMO, Lebron would adapt and be forced to fast track an efficient postup game. He would also be mentally stronger, as he would have to earn a reputation and get paid on merit, which I believe is why he struggles mentally at times in today's league. Guys of the handchecking era were a different breed to players today...

As for defenses, he most certainly wouldn't find it easier in the handchecking era. Defenses were alot more physical and there were some brutal trashtalkers who threw you off your game.
    So, your response is also an opinion, but you say that like it's fact?

A good amount of players today are backwards compatible to other era's while only some from back in the day could play today IMO.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    Lebron has trouble with zones, not hand checking. you put him in that era and he would truly be greater than MJ. both offensively and defensively.
    No. Don't get me wrong, Lebron would thrive in the handchecking era just like he's thriving right now, but he doesn't have the competitiveness and drive that MJ had.

The defense back then wasn't exactly stifling. People still scored at will, just like in today's game. What it did was wear down on you over the course of the game, the season.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    No. Don't get me wrong, Lebron would thrive in the handchecking era just like he's thriving right now, but he doesn't have the competitiveness and drive that MJ had.

The defense back then wasn't exactly stifling. People still scored at will, just like in today's game. What it did was wear down on you over the course of the game, the season.
    I kinda agree with the guy though. I think LeBron would be greater than MJ. Not more skilled or anything, just a better player or more impact on the game. He's never gonna reach MJs competitiveness, but he doesn't have to. James Harden isn't as competitive as Nate Robinson, but he's still better than him.

Oh yeah and the defenses back then I could see LeBron having his way against them. It was a lot more physical than it is now, but even with LeBron's size it wouldn't matter.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Yes, 6'8 265 pound pure muscle Lebron James cannot play in the hand checking era

Imagine if Lebron had the ability to hand check. His defense would be even scarier than it is now.

Do you guys realize how dumb you sound?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    I kinda agree with the guy though. I think LeBron would be greater than MJ. Not more skilled or anything, just a better player or more impact on the game. He's never gonna reach MJs competitiveness, but he doesn't have to. James Harden isn't as competitive as Nate Robinson, but he's still better than him.

Oh yeah and the defenses back then I could see LeBron having his way against them. It was a lot more physical than it is now, but even with LeBron's size it wouldn't matter.
    Lebron has played against more physical defenses (Celtics, Bulls) and they have shown that he's not exactly unstoppable. It's not just speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by secund2nun
    Yes, 6'8 265 pound pure muscle Lebron James cannot play in the hand checking era

Imagine if Lebron had the ability to hand check. His defense would be even scarier than it is now.

Do you guys realize how dumb you sound?
    Not saying he wouldn't be able to play, just saying that he wouldn't absolutely dominate the game and be better/greater than MJ was. That is a ridiculous statement to me.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

LeBron's offense gets a little worse, but I think his defense would actually become great.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    We see how crappy this era is with the lack of Centers. Most people like to argue that it's very weak defensively too. Hand checking was thrown out years ago and the zone defense has been allowed. Some say this made the NBA much weaker and that inflated their stats.

I believe Lebron will never crack the top 10 greatest players of all time because every one of those guys have played in the hand checking era.

Do you think Lebron can play in the hand checking era?
    There are better ways to deal with you insecurities about Kobe's issues in the hand checking era. A troll thread about lebron James is not one if those ways.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Lebron has played against more physical defenses (Celtics, Bulls) and they have shown that he's not exactly unstoppable. It's not just speculation.
    It wasn't the physicality that was stopping him/slowing him down IMO. It was more of the defensive schemes. They were allowed to shadow him and run zones and all that. They couldn't do that in the Hand Check Era.

The funniest part about my argument though is that I think this current Miami team wouldn't win a championship though. It's not that I don't think LeBron isn't good enough, I just don't think Miami is a well put together team. I mean, they are for this era I guess, but even then it's shaky to me. I thoroughly hate that one person has to lead his team in that many categories in order for them to win. It's not fair.
    Last edited by Mr Exlax; 08-14-2013 at 12:19 PM.

he can barely play in the boris diaw era

Just put the OP on your ignore list, and save yourself the trouble.

Facts Are Misleading

There's hand checking now - you see it time and time again in the playoffs with no call.

It's the regular season where it gets called a lot more often.

LeBron would be fine. You could argue it would make him an even more disruptive defensive player if he could use his hand/forearm to guide smaller players all the time without it being a foul.