Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you dunk??

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    So was I
    I think it varies from person to person. I've known a lot of folks who could dunk off the lob Celtic is describing but could not dunk for real. If you think about it, if you've got a friend who can toss a good "jump ball" lob, it more or less turns into a tap-in dunk. On the other side, as you know, dunking for real involves a lot more than just going up and slamming a ball that's already up there waiting for you.

Out of curiosity, what do you think prevented you from dunking on those jump-ball lobs prior to being able to slam two-handed?

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Well back in high school I could. Nothing fancy. Not a show off at all. I actually preferred to just lay the ball, but I could dunk. 6'1" without shoes. Couple weeks ago I went out to the playground and surprisingly I could still get up (grabbed the rim, tapped the top of the rim). This is without playing basketball on a regular basis and being older..in my 30's now. I still do some light exercise at home, so that probably helps me.

Until I was 40. No need to try past that.

Yes.

Bump. So I guess the basic consensus from this thread was that i'm the man and a streetball legend. You guys really need to stop jocking me so hard though it's getting kind of weird and uncomfortable. Like, its just the internet settle down

So can anyone else dunk?

Yeah. I'm working on getting better at it.
    Last edited by Peteballa; 06-15-2013 at 06:07 PM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Until I was 40. No need to try past that.
    How tall are ya? I'm having my doubts about being able to when I'm 40. I think not being able to palm a ball is going to hurt me by then. I know some 40+ guys who can still dunk and it seems more about their giant hands than their vert.

I used to be able to when I played a lot an kept myself in game shape. I'm 6'3" so I didn't have all that much trouble dunking. I haven't played competitively in probably 2-2.5 years and can't get off the ground like I used to. I can still get up to the rim but my hands aren't big enough to palm it for the dunk.

I'll probably spend the summer getting back in shape so I can dunk again. I'm not a big workout guy so I don't care how much I can lift or getting a specific "look" as far as my build goes so dunking will be a nice goal to have.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I used to be able to when I played a lot an kept myself in game shape. I'm 6'3" so I didn't have all that much trouble dunking. I haven't played competitively in probably 2-2.5 years and can't get off the ground like I used to. I can still get up to the rim but my hands aren't big enough to palm it for the dunk.

I'll probably spend the summer getting back in shape so I can dunk again. I'm not a big workout guy so I don't care how much I can lift or getting a specific "look" as far as my build goes so dunking will be a nice goal to have.
    We sound similar in terms of build and whatnot (I think you mentioned you were the same weight too). I'm pretty sure if I took 2.5 years off from competition I'd probably be in the same boat as you. I have to work to keep things going. How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    We sound similar in terms of build and whatnot (I think you mentioned you were the same weight too). I'm pretty sure if I took 2.5 years off from competition I'd probably be in the same boat as you. I have to work to keep things going. How old are you?
    22 so I'm still definitely in my athletic prime but laziness has just made me lose whatever explosiveness I had. I bet a month or two of consistent workouts would get me back to where I want to be.

Dunking on everybody in the park

NO. but once i made a max vertical leap text and touched the rim.

Yeah. It's my favorite part of my game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_3GkStxd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UawmT_nPhik (Older video, not getting up as high but a little more variety)

I can grab rim, get the ball over the rim but can't dunk

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    22 so I'm still definitely in my athletic prime but laziness has just made me lose whatever explosiveness I had. I bet a month or two of consistent workouts would get me back to where I want to be.
    Oh for sure. Still plenty of time there.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peteballa
    Yeah. It's my favorite part of my game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_3GkStxd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UawmT_nPhik (Older video, not getting up as high but a little more variety)
    nice dunks, pete. Good style.