Default Re: Can you dunk??

IS top rim considered dunking?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    IS top rim considered dunking?
    I do not understand what you mean.

Anyone ever see someone pull a quarter off the top of an NBA regulation backboard?

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I do not understand what you mean.
    I think he meant tap rim

With good warmup and nice running takeof i can dunk with one hand, am around 6'0".... left leg running takeof only tho, i can at max barelly grab the rim of two feet no matter what i do, am kindof like Dr J, Lebron, James White in that way i get my highest vertical of one leg (left leg)
    Last edited by pauk; 05-29-2012 at 08:05 PM.

I'm 6'0'' but far from being able to dunk. In fact, I've never seen a guy around 6'0'' dunk. Maybe it's because me and the people I play with are all white

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    I think he meant tap rim

This

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar
    I'm 6'0'' but far from being able to dunk. In fact, I've never seen a guy around 6'0'' dunk. Maybe it's because me and the people I play with are all white
    I'm white and don't understand why so many white people suck at jumping. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy: they suck at jumping because they think they are supposed to.

Go lift weights 3-4 times a week and play a ton of basketball and you should dunk if you are 6"+.

Just gotta put your mind and body into it.

Future D1 Dad

used to when i was younger easily. only simple one and two handed mostly but could reverse too. i lost over 20 pounds about 1.5 yrs ago and did barely dunk.

6'2. Yes I can dunk.

easily

Used to be able to do it a lot better than before. Now the best I can do is a one hander off the bounce. Think Fred Jones style in the 2004 dunk contest, just not as much pull back.

Before, it was the windmill as my best dunk. Off one foot, not two. So more Andre Igoudala style. I've never been great off two feet. I think in my lifetime I've thrown down about two 360's... They feel retarded to me, and I just couldn't ever find the rhythm to throw them down nicely.
    Best dunk I've ever done in a game was a put back off a free throw. The dude below me on the block got a nice face-full of nuts. In terms of fast break, I only ever got as fancy as doing the Latrell Sprewell two handed tomahawk. Didn't wanna mess up and look stupid.

/end my life story. thanks for reading.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Used to be able to do it a lot better than before. Now the best I can do is a one hander off the bounce. Think Fred Jones style in the 2004 dunk contest, just not as much pull back.

Before, it was the windmill as my best dunk. Off one foot, not two. So more Andre Igoudala style. I've never been great off two feet. I think in my lifetime I've thrown down about two 360's... They feel retarded to me, and I just couldn't ever find the rhythm to throw them down nicely.
    Best dunk I've ever done in a game was a put back off a free throw. The dude below me on the block got a nice face-full of nuts. In terms of fast break, I only ever got as fancy as doing the Latrell Sprewell two handed tomahawk. Didn't wanna mess up and look stupid.

/end my life story. thanks for reading.
    What is your age? I ask because I was surprised to read you could once windmill but now can only dunk off the bounce. How many years are you removed from windmilling?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    What is your age? I ask because I was surprised to read you could once windmill but now can only dunk off the bounce. How many years are you removed from windmilling?
    This is the sad thing lol... I'm 21.
    My knees hurt like hell after every basketball session now, but I keep playing.

I could windmill when I was 17/18. I was only about 75-80kg (165-175lbs) and around the same height at 6'3. Now I've been hitting the gym the last 4 years and I've put on about 15-25kg, depending on if I'm bulking or cutting. So I sit anywhere between 215-235lbs.

Its not just off the bounce. I can still do the typical one hand and two hand dunk off one foot. As well as a one hander off two feet. I just think the alley to myself with a little bit of pull back looks the best.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    This is the sad thing lol... I'm 21.
    My knees hurt like hell after every basketball session now, but I keep playing.

I could windmill when I was 17/18. I was only about 75-80kg (165-175lbs) and around the same height at 6'3. Now I've been hitting the gym the last 4 years and I've put on about 15-25kg, depending on if I'm bulking or cutting. So I sit anywhere between 215-235lbs.

Its not just off the bounce. I can still do the typical one hand and two hand dunk off one foot. As well as a one hander off two feet. I just think the alley to myself with a little bit of pull back looks the best.
    Oh gotcha. It's clear now. I thought you were saying you couldn't do any other dunks now aside from the bounce. Your explanation makes much more sense.

Also, there's comfort in being able to pull off that bounce dunk while bringing it back a little bit. It means you could have scored a 50 in an NBA Dunk Contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2yfZ7yZ-XY