Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: The Beatles vs. The Beach Boys

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Can you give me a source on George Martin writing all their songs? A producer/engineer having a hand in songwriting isn't that rare and he only did it in a couple of songs.

Saying the Beatles are dated/One Direction of their era when most people still recognize alot of their more mature work(said Sgt to Abbey Road era) whereas only enthusiasts really know the Beach Boys gems and most people link them to surf music and "Kokomo".
    George Martin and Phil Spector didn't write all of their songs.

George Martin wrote and composed the backing arrangements of many of their songs on those albums you listed. Phil Spector wrote the backing arrangements on the album Let it Be.

George Martin is responsible for arranging and composing A Day in the Life and mashing up the Lennon and McCartney songs that they didn't know what to do with.

The Beach Boys not being as recognized by the main stream doesn't mean they are worse. it just means the main stream recognizes the more marketable and mainstream stars with the mainstream image, the Beatles. The Beach Boys in contrast are not marketable. Brian Wilson was an overweight and mentally ill person. The Beatles were teen hearthrobs, and better at being rock stars and they were cooler people.

That is why they are recognized ahead of the Beach Boys by the mainstream.

Image.

Musically, the Beach Boys have proven to be far more innovative, influential, and ahead of their time than the Beatles were.

In terms of being rock stars and having an awesome mythos with more marketable personalities, and also in terms of lyrics (I will definitely give that edge to the Beatles), the Beatles were better.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 05-10-2016 at 12:18 PM.

It is subjective but I prefer The Beatles by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    George Martin and Phil Spector didn't write all of their songs.

George Martin wrote and composed the backing arrangements of many of their songs on those albums you listed. Phil Spector wrote the backing arrangements on the album Let it Be.

George Martin is responsible for arranging and composing A Day in the Life and mashing up the Lennon and McCartney songs that they didn't know what to do with.
    Many it was two songs on Sgt. and one or two on the S/T. Let It Be was a throw-away album that got resurrected. Not a big fan of that.

McCartney wrote the lyrics for all his songs, but "All my loving" after the music, as do most songwriters.

The Beach Boys not being as recognized by the main stream doesn't mean they are worse. it just means the main stream recognizes the more marketable and mainstream stars with the mainstream image, the Beatles. The Beach Boys in contrast are not marketable. Brian Wilson was an overweight and mentally ill person. The Beatles were teen hearthrobs, and better at being rock stars and they were cooler people.

That is why they are recognized ahead of the Beach Boys by the mainstream.
    Not saying they are worse, I don't rate music like that. I just like them less. You're saying Wilson was ahead 40 years, but there was neither a surf nor a baroque pop revival in the mid 2000s.

Musically, the Beach Boys have proven to be far more innovative, influential, and ahead of their time than the Beatles were.
    Musically doubtful. Their genre died with them and their music didn't spread into other genres much. The influenced the Beatles' opus magnus, though, which influenced a lot of others for about a decade.

What they did, or Wilson by himself, was changing the way music was recorded. Away from single track mono live recordings to multitrack layers. The Beatles' later albums wouldn't have been possible without this.

Banned

Musically doubtful. Their genre died with them and their music didn't spread into other genres much. The influenced the Beatles' opus magnus, though, which influenced a lot of others for about a decade.
    pop music is dead?

Their music spread everywhere. The Ramones started out as a bunch of dudes trying to play Beach Boys songs. The Ramones later went on to inspire punk rock in the late 70s. Not to mention their influence on modern electronica and EDM, as well as modern indie pop artists like Belle and Sebastien, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, the Shins and Animal Collective. The Beach Boys influence is extensive and vast.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 05-10-2016 at 01:22 PM.

This is not close.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    pop music is dead?

Their music spread everywhere. The Ramones started out as a bunch of dudes trying to play Beach Boys songs. The Ramones later went on to inspire punk rock in the late 70s. Not to mention their influence on modern electronica and EDM, as well as modern indie pop artists like Belle and Sebastien, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, the Shins and Animal Collective. The Beach Boys influence is extensive and vast.
    I don't know why, but with your posts you're pushing me into a corner to defend the Beatles, who are not even remotely my favourite band.

The Ramones doing Beach Boys covers in some garage doesn't mean their catalogue is based in ther music. They didn't break out as a civerband, but as a unique act and I'd love to know where you draw the connections to the Beach Boys. btw Status Quo also started out as a Beach Boys cover band.

The only band you listed I know more than one song is Radiohead and there's no immediate connection to the Beach Boys' music imo.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I don't know why, but with your posts you're pushing me into a corner to defend the Beatles, who are not even remotely my favourite band.

The Ramones doing Beach Boys covers in some garage doesn't mean their catalogue is based in ther music. They didn't break out as a civerband, but as a unique act and I'd love to know where you draw the connections to the Beach Boys. btw Status Quo also started out as a Beach Boys cover band.

The only band you listed I know more than one song is Radiohead and there's no immediate connection to the Beach Boys' music imo.
    Not just that, whatever or whoever he states were influenced by Beach Boys the same can be said by Beatles times a hundred.

He has no argument in any way.

So if he states Beach Boys influenced Ramones...

Beatles influenced Sabbath, Nirvana, Hendrix, Stones, Bowie, Dylan, NAS, KRS, Zeppelin, Stevie, Prince, Marley, etc etc etc times a million

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Simon & Garfunkel >

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

The beatles obviously...anyone saying the beach boys is full of shit and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Banned

RIP the Beatles legacy. Their music is a relic of the past. The Beach Boys continue to influence new genres and bands every day. They are the Beethoven of pop music.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Not just that, whatever or whoever he states were influenced by Beach Boys the same can be said by Beatles times a hundred.

He has no argument in any way.

So if he states Beach Boys influenced Ramones...

Beatles influenced Sabbath, Nirvana, Hendrix, Stones, Bowie, Dylan, NAS, KRS, Zeppelin, Stevie, Prince, Marley, etc etc etc times a million
    Pls. Stahp. Full o stoopid.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Nothing from the Beatles can touch these records:
    (Please YT these songs and give it another listen. It never gets old)

-Good Vibrations
    So Beatles can't touch Chuck Berry? Agreed.

Banned

Also:

[QUOTE]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    that's definitely not true.

They wrote great lyrics and catchy pop hooks. That's it. Their producer George Martin is responsible for most of their cool compositions and arrangements. Sorry bro. It's just facts.

Beach Boys were doing things that were technically miles beyond anything the Beatles achieved.

ALSO

Stop melting down breh XD

An Icon Forever

[QUOTE]
    I Am Brian Wilson: A Memoir Hardcover