Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Default Re: Was LeBron James ever the best scorer in the league?

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
    Theres no arguing I was just telling him why FG% is useless. Thank you for telling me about eFG%.

So theres about a 2ish% difference, but prime to prime I think Kobe has about 3 or 4 points on lebron. Its pretty close. the question is do we count ft efficiency as well, as that is still kind of scoring? How much does explosiveness matter, do 3 games of 30 pts make someone a better scorer than someone who drops 20 20 then 50 in a game?

Its gonna be close tho, lebron is still a guy that has a damn 28 ppg career average... He'll never lose in a landslide unless you compare him to like wilt.
    FT% is included in in TS%. TS% or True Shooting percentage counts every FGM as 2 points, every 3FGM as 3 points, and all 3FGA or FGA as one attempt. It also counts FTA as 0.43 FGA because according to Hollinger, 43% of Free throws end a possession (as opposed to 100% of FGA ending a possession) because of the fact that there are often 2 shot in a row (so the first one doesn't count as ending a possession) and all FTs in an and one don't end a possession because you've already gotten the 2 points for that possession and it's just a bonus.

To answer your question, LeBron also has the advantage in TS% throughout the majority of his career, but Kobe does win in some years I believe, just not recently.

5-time NBA All-Star

Rythmic, I don't think its on the level of understanding as much as it is the way things are intepreted. Kobe is a more versatile scorer but Lebron a more versatile offensive player and they both should use what they have to achieve their ends. Both are great in that way.

I think Durant could be one of the greatest scorers ever (or after Wilt). He isn't as versatile as Kobe/Mello/Lebron but what does it matter if he can dominate from the outside like he has done his whole career. The thing I find amazing is that Lebron, if he prioritized for scoring, could even outscore Durant. With Lebron its just a matter of priority. Lebron is even ahead of Durant at this stage at equal stages of their career's. Shaq wasn't polished or versatile but he was definitely a better scorer than Ewing who was both. Its not gymnastic's where you get points for the way you land.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    I think Kobe was the best in all three of those seasons. That is not knack on Lebron since Kobe is an all-time great scorer.

They have that capability, all message boards and forums do. So tell them to look it up and lets see if they match? If not, shut up and either discuss basketball or don't discuss at all.

I am not bringing up 2011 at least involving Kobe. 2011 the best scorer in the NBA was Dirk Nowitzki.

What are you referring to?

Regular season stats

Kobe in '09 - 20.9 fga, 6.9 fta, 26.8 ppg
    Lebron in '09 - 19.9 fga, 9.4 fta, 28.4 ppg

Lebron scored 1.6 more ppg because he had more attempts from the FT line, 2.5 fta more.

Kobe in '10 - 21.5 fga, 7.4 fta, 27 ppg
    Lebron in '10 - 20.1 fga, 10.2 fta, 29.7 ppg

Lebron scored 2.7 more ppg despite having taking 1.4 fga less but taking 2.8 fta more. You also have to keep in mind that that was the season where Kobe was banged up from mid-season to the playoffs.

2010 post-season scoring stats between Kobe and Lebron

Kobe in '10 PO - 29.2 ppg, 22.2 fga, 8 fta
    Lebron in '10 PO - 29.1 ppg, 19.1 fga, 10.9 fta

10.9 - 8 differential from FTA - 3.9
    22.2 - 19.1 differential from fga - 3.1

Yet Kobe was the one that scored and averaged more ppg. Do you get my drift that the one that has more scoring opportunities is usually the one that scores more ppg?
    LOL what a joke. Why dont you take away all bonus points that Kobe scored from 3 pts? And one more question, who is the best at getting AND1s in last decade (probably in history of basketball)? Freethrow attempts =/= more scoring opportunities.

7-time NBA All-Star

Well, Kobe was clearly the best from '06-'08.

'09 is tough. Lebron was incredible. Improved his shot a lot compared to '07 and '08, and his game held up in the playoffs. Kobe was still lethal, though. The most skilled player in the game at the time, held back his individual scoring and coasted somewhat through the regular season due to the Lakers 65-17 record, but could score with the best whenever he wanted. Wade also has an argument, got his explosiveness back and shot the ball better than he ever has in his career, his jumper was better than Lebron's that year. Can't completely forget about Dirk either.

In 2010, he has an argument. Durant entered the picture, and had a virtually identical statistical season to Lebron, but was worse in the playoffs. I'd say that Lebron was more unstoppable, he may have shot the ball better than in '09. Him disappearing vs Boston was more mentality than skillset, imo. Kobe was right there when healthy such as the first 2 months when he was unstoppable, especially in the post and later after he got his knee drained in the OKC series, though that was more with a lot of tough jumpers. Wade fell off a bit from '09. Melo was great, but had some nagging injuries around January.

In 2011, well, I guess the top 4 were pretty close(Lebron, Wade, Durant, Dirk). Lebron didn't seem as explosive as past seasons, but his mid-range shot was better than ever. When Melo was focused he was right there.

So in '09, I'd go with Kobe or Wade before Lebron just as a scorer, but not by much. Lebron might be the best choice in 2010, though due to Kobe's injuries and Wade's decline as far as shooting, motivation and explosiveness to some degree. And Dirk seemed like the best overall scorer in '11 after seeing him look unguardable throughout the season.

It's all debatable and comes down to preference. I do think that Lebron was the best overall player those 3 seasons, but 2010 is the year I'm most comfortable calling him the best scorer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Well, Kobe was clearly the best from '06-'08.

'09 is tough. Lebron was incredible. Improved his shot a lot compared to '07 and '08, and his game held up in the playoffs. Kobe was still lethal, though. The most skilled player in the game at the time, held back his individual scoring and coasted somewhat through the regular season due to the Lakers 65-17 record, but could score with the best whenever he wanted. Wade also has an argument, got his explosiveness back and shot the ball better than he ever has in his career, his jumper was better than Lebron's that year. Can't completely forget about Dirk either.

In 2010, he has an argument. Durant entered the picture, and had a virtually identical statistical season to Lebron, but was worse in the playoffs. I'd say that Lebron was more unstoppable, he may have shot the ball better than in '09. Him disappearing vs Boston was more mentality than skillset, imo. Kobe was right there when healthy such as the first 2 months when he was unstoppable, especially in the post and later after he got his knee drained in the OKC series, though that was more with a lot of tough jumpers. Wade fell off a bit from '09. Melo was great, but had some nagging injuries around January.

In 2011, well, I guess the top 4 were pretty close(Lebron, Wade, Durant, Dirk). Lebron didn't seem as explosive as past seasons, but his mid-range shot was better than ever. When Melo was focused he was right there.

So in '09, I'd go with Kobe or Wade before Lebron just as a scorer, but not by much. Lebron might be the best choice in 2010, though due to Kobe's injuries and Wade's decline as far as shooting, motivation and explosiveness to some degree. And Dirk seemed like the best overall scorer in '11 after seeing him look unguardable throughout the season.

It's all debatable and comes down to preference. I do think that Lebron was the best overall player those 3 seasons, but 2010 is the year I'm most comfortable calling him the best scorer.
    Great post, but I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

What do you think about the argument about how Lebron is the best or better scorer than Kobe because he averages more ppg and with higher efficiency (2009)? I already explained my part about that, I think Lebron just scored more ppg because he was given more opportunities to score because Kobe had other great offensive options on his team such as Gasol, Odom, and Bynum whereas Lebron's 2nd option was Mo Williams. I just want to know your thoughts on that.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Great post, but I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

What do you think about the argument about how Lebron is the best or better scorer than Kobe because he averages more ppg and with higher efficiency (2009)? I already explained my part about that, I think Lebron just scored more ppg because he was given more opportunities to score because Kobe had other great offensive options on his team such as Gasol, Odom, and Bynum whereas Lebron's 2nd option was Mo Williams. I just want to know your thoughts on that.
    It is a tough question to answer because Lebron was more ball dominant which can help you get your own shot whenever you want. But it is a fact that he put the ball in the basket more frequently and at a better rate than Kobe in both the regular season and playoffs so it can be tough to tell someone they're wrong in that belief when there is evidence to back it up.

These things are extremely subjective. The 2 facts that few will argue with are that Kobe was considerably more skilled with his footwork, in the post, shooting from all areas and a better off the ball player. While few will also argue that Lebron had a huge advantage as far as speed, strength and athleticism and when his jumper was falling and he was hitting those heat check 28 footers, that and his ability to attack the basket at will and finish made him look like a man among boys.

So I'm fine with both point of views, and yes the offense and other offensive options around them certainly played a huge role in their numbers. Again, it's obvious that '09 Kobe wasn't a 27 ppg scorer maxed out, for evidence, just look at the playoffs when he put up 30+ without his efficiency dropping while winning it all, or him dropping 61 at MSG.

Isnt Lebron scoring like prime shaq right now? He's scoring 30.1 PPG @ 60% and someone is asking when has he ever been the best scorer in the league?

Dude scores at a high rate, more efficiently than any of his peers on the perimeter.

Watch the way teams guard Kobe and then see how they guard LeBron, and you'll see who they fear more

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Watch the way teams guard Kobe and then see how they guard LeBron, and you'll see who they fear more
    This... and its not even close!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    It is a tough question to answer because Lebron was more ball dominant which can help you get your own shot whenever you want. But it is a fact that he put the ball in the basket more frequently and at a better rate than Kobe in both the regular season and playoffs so it can be tough to tell someone they're wrong in that belief when there is evidence to back it up.

These things are extremely subjective. The 2 facts that few will argue with are that Kobe was considerably more skilled with his footwork, in the post, shooting from all areas and a better off the ball player. While few will also argue that Lebron had a huge advantage as far as speed, strength and athleticism and when his jumper was falling and he was hitting those heat check 28 footers, that and his ability to attack the basket at will and finish made him look like a man among boys.

So I'm fine with both point of views, and yes the offense and other offensive options around them certainly played a huge role in their numbers. Again, it's obvious that '09 Kobe wasn't a 27 ppg scorer maxed out, for evidence, just look at the playoffs when he put up 30+ without his efficiency dropping while winning it all, or him dropping 61 at MSG.
    Yea, I think this is evident by their usage percentages.

Lebron in the '09 RS had a USG% of 32.2, 2nd in the league behind Dwyane Wade who was the scoring champion

Lebron in the '10 RS had a USG% of 32.2 again, 2nd in the league and was once again behind Dwyane Wade.

Kobe Bryant in the '09 RS had a USG% of 30.2, 3rd in the league behind both Dwyane Wade and LeBron James.

Kobe Bryant in the '10 RS had a USG% of 30.5, tied for 4th in the league with Carmelo Anthony, and was behind Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and surprisingly Gilbert Arenas.

Now lets compare their post-season USG%.

Lebron's '09 PO USG% - 33.4, 2nd in the league behind Tony Parker
    Lebron's '10 PO USG% - 28.2, tied for 5th in the league with Carmelo Anthony

Lebron in '09 playoffs - 35.3 ppg, 51.0% FG, 61.8% TS, 55.3% eFG - 14 gp
    Lebron in '10 playoffs - 29.1 ppg, 46.6% FG, 56.3% TS, 50.7% eFG - 11 gp

Kobe's '09 PO USG% - 29.7, 5th in the league
    Kobe's '10 PO USG% - 30.8, 2nd in the league behind Dwyane Wade.

Kobe in '09 playoffs - 30.2 ppg, 45.7% FG, 56.4% TS, 49.2% eFG - 23 gp
    Kobe in '10 playoffs - 29.2 ppg, 45.7% FG, 56.7% TS, 50.6% eFG - 23 gp

I don't think it is a coincidence that the player with the higher USG% was always the one that scored more ppg. This goes back to seasons such as '06 but I think everyone including Lebron fans agree that Kobe was the best scorer in the league by a good margin from '06-'08.

no