Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    An Icon Forever

Default The Beatles vs. The Beach Boys

Who do you feel is better musically?

Do the Beach Boys deserve the same merit as The Beatles?

Is Brian Wilson the equal of Lennon/McCartney?

I would say Pet Sounds outmatches most Beatles albums with the exception of possibly Sgt. Pepper. And I think had Brian Wilson's mental illness not halted his productivity so early on (round about 1967), the Beach Boys would today be widely considered on the same level artistically as the Beatles, instead of in the nostalgic "surf and cars" way they are now seen.

Drugs really destroyed the Beach Boys. Brian got into really bad stuff, heroin and the like. It's an incredible cautionary tale: the wonder and promise of the 50's and 60's, all pretty girls and fast cars, gives way to the false promises of the psychedelic era. Self-exploration replaces feelings of community and friendship. The song "Surf's Up" summarizes the turning tide of the Beach Boys, America, and Brian Wilson himself. Too lost in a druggy haze, it sees the end of an empire, the end of optimism, the rise and fall of time as the rise and fall of the ocean... Brian's musical genius is glaring, he just went too far into the void.

Banned

Default Re: The Beatles vs. The Beach Boys

We debated this many times before.

   

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    We debated this many times before.
    which is ALL THE MORE REASON TO DEBATE IT, considering the sheer quantity of f-cktard ISH opinions upon everything and anything.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    The Beatles vs. The Beach Boys
    both groups are obviously composed of some pretty genius mofos, but after reading various books about them recently, i was still kind of surprised about things.

in terms of the BBoys-- there was a time in which brian was famously 'in his room', and after dennis had narrowly avoided CHARLES F-CKING MANSON, that dennis of all people (the youngest bro, the drummer) was pretty much the leader and most brilliant songwriter of the group.

also, still one of the craziest stories about the BB's-- brian wilson was clearly the beginning and end of why the boys got formed, even back in middle school. meanwhile, mike love (their cousin) was pretty much the family embarrassment, but he somehow had a way with murry wilson (the boys' dad).

and yet, mike love wound up owning the "beach boys" name, even though he's pretty much the worst singer and musician in the band, by far. :P

Banned

The two best musicians in rock

Decent playground baller

Beatles. /Thread

Banned

Our friend L. Kizzle will be noticeably absent in this thread.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kerry
    Beatles. /Thread
    It's closer than you think, though.

Banned

beach boys are better and more innovative musically, better vocals and harmonies.

Beatles are a better mass market product and better at writing classic pop songs that connect with the masses, and better lyricists.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    beach boys are better and more innovative musically, better vocals and harmonies.

Beatles are a better mass market product and better at writing classic pop songs that connect with the masses, and better lyricists.
    lol you in a million years and lives could never create anything as complex and unique as A Day in the Life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    lol you in a million years and lives could never create anything as complex and unique as A Day in the Life.
    That song isn't that complex or unique. It's just two songs mashed together and some druggy production.

You're right though, I play and can read music but I suck at composing and song writing. I could never write a song like a Day in the Life.

The Beach Boys have dozens of songs more "complex and unique" than A Day in the Life.

What is it about A Day in the Life that is so unique and "complex" in your world view?

In terms of pure technical songwriting and musical innovation, the Beach Boys are miles beyond the Beatles.

The Beatles were a much better pop band and better at writing mass appeal catchy melodies.

"God only knows" in heavy rotation.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease vetlantram's Avatar

Beach Boys

Drake>>>>>>> both

Banned

As someone who was born and raised in California, I am going with the Beach Boys. It would be blasphemy for me to choose the Beatles but since I am not a bias person, I will have to vote according their music and one second into California Girls, I will have to say Beach Boys are better than the Beatles and its not even close.

Remember the Beatles school of study was Pet Sounds.

The pinnacle of the Beatles would be Hey Jude and their early stuff wasn't very good but they did make some classics later.

Nothing from the Beatles can touch these records:
    (Please YT these songs and give it another listen. It never gets old)

-California Girls
    -Little Deuce Coupe
    -I Get Around
    -Surfer Girl
    -Good Vibrations
    -Wouldn't It Be Nice
    -Help Me Rhonda

Plus the mood in the music is a big factor, while not all of them were surfers, I believe only one of them were, the California vibe and music is much better than the dark gloomy influence of the Liverpool band.

You put a Beatles' song on and people will recognize it. You put a Beach Boy song on and everyone is dancing to it and doing the twist.

That is all. Surfs up.
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 05-10-2016 at 05:41 AM.