Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Default Re: How good are NBA players?

Derrick Rose, hobbled right now and recovering from his knee surgery and prolly at 50% healthy, would crush anyone one of us' soul in a 1 v 1, and not break a sweat.

The NBA's worst "scrub" would maul anyone here.

Silly thread

Tony Douglas is like 6' 3", muscular and elite athleticism. He looks bad against the best players the world has to offer. He'd be taller than most of the guys considered "big men" in a pick up game

Wait wait wait this guy said Tony Douglas is a scrub? I didn't even ready past that part. He's a quality back up PG in the NBA lol. i gotta go back and read all this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius
    I remember playing against Baron Davis's team in AAU ball and he fvcking destroyed us. Unguardable, dunking on everyone.

Then after the game, he took off his jersey and he was wearing weight vest.
    I remember back in the mid 90's when Jud Buechler and a couple of his friends showed up at one of the basketball courts I used to play at. This is a guy who was a spot up shooter who averaged 3.3 ppg in a 10 year NBA career and he demolished everyone, including the MJ wannabe black kids who were considered great streetballers, he went left or right on them, posted them up, grabbed a bunch of rebs, dunked on his men (a lot of kids took turns trying to guard him, lol) and drained wet jumpers from 24 ft out with a hand on his face.

Very humbling expirience and that's when I knew all NBA players are elite athletes.
    Last edited by TheMan; 01-23-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    I remember back in the mid 90's when Jud Buechler and a couple of his friends showed up at one of the basketball courts I used to play at. This is a guy who was a spot up shooter who averaged 3.3 ppg in a 10 year NBA career and he demolished everyone, including the MJ wannabe black kids who were considered great streetballers, he went left or right on them, posted them up, grabbed a bunch of rebs, dunked on his men (a lot of kids took turns trying to guard him, lol) and drained wet jumpers from 24 ft out with a hand on his face.

Very humbling expirience and that's when I knew all NBA players are elite athletes.
    I think anyone in the NBA who can shoot 33% and up from the 3 point line can destroy pretty much any street baller. I know this guy who's like 56 and like 5'4" tall that regular beats the 16 17 year olds where I play simply because of his jumper. (Defense too. Hand checks too much.) The average person is very flawed.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I think anyone in the NBA who can shoot 33% and up from the 3 point line can destroy pretty much any street baller. I know this guy who's like 56 and like 5'4" tall that regular beats the 16 17 year olds where I play simply because of his jumper. (Defense too. Hand checks too much.) The average person is very flawed.
    No. Pretty much anyone in the NBA can destroy any street baller regardless of their shooting %. If you've ever played w/against an NBA scrub then you'd no this immediately. I can name dudes I've played with and against who most people on this board wouldn't know their names but they were always the best on the court regardless of the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I know the type...gotta keep in mind that they grew up in an era where hand checking was legal and if you call fouls on them, they'll most prolly call you a fakkit crybaby

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    No. Pretty much anyone in the NBA can destroy any street baller regardless of their shooting %. If you've ever played w/against an NBA scrub then you'd no this immediately. I can name dudes I've played with and against who most people on this board wouldn't know their names but they were always the best on the court regardless of the competition.
    very true. derrick dial was a 15th man on the spurs in the early 2000s. he lived in my parents neighborhood. he couldnt even make it in the game but when he played with us at the neighborhood court he was like MJ, just completely unstoppable.

the guy wasnt even playing at 100% either. he was coasting the entire time. maybe about 40-50% effort, just running around to get some cardio in.

at the time, thats when i thought, if derrick dial is this good, how good are guys like kobe and tmac? that blew my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    I believe that too, I just said 33% meaning that there's no way in hell any street baller would be Jud Buechler.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    I know the type...gotta keep in mind that they grew up in an era where hand checking was legal and if you call fouls on them, they'll most prolly call you a fakkit crybaby
    I don't call foul or anything because it makes me a better player. It forces me to do so many more moves than simply just driving and laying it up.
    Last edited by jstern; 01-23-2013 at 06:57 PM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Not sure if anyone has posted this but

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...4445--nba.html

I remember playing against BJ Armstrong back in the late 90's. Guy was unreal. Couldn't be stopped. I was running with some really good players, some former D 1 guys, but BJ made us look like a joke.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by LikeABosh
    I remember playing against BJ Armstrong back in the late 90's. Guy was unreal. Couldn't be stopped. I was running with some really good players, some former D 1 guys, but BJ made us look like a joke.
    Seriously.

The separation of NBA scrubs from even pretty decent D-1 players is QUITE noticeable.

They are no joke. Whenever I hear some punk say they could out ball an NBA scrub, I laugh ... cause they've clearly never seen them in person or playing against average to even above average former HS and College players.

Then after you see an average NBA player, a scrub or journeyman and you're impressed with their play in a more normal setting and they look like they can't be stopped ...

THEN picture the best of the best (NBA superstars) and what they can do given the opportunity. They clown NBA players. Now imagine what they would do with your Lifetime Fitness pick up crew.

For all the crap Jeremy Lin gets for being a scrub or average or nothing special, I think he would whoop 99% of the people on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    For all the crap Jeremy Lin gets for being a scrub or average or nothing special, I know he would whoop 100% of the people on this forum.

Fixed.

Also it's not just that they're professionals, but imagine how much better the non professional would be if they got to play basketball for hours a day and not have to worry about anything else. As well as having coaches, great nutrition and expert trainers. Years of such a life, the average person would be so much better. Their timing and everything else would be so much better than their current self. That's another advantage that an NBA scrub has. But even if the average person got to live such a life, they would probably still not be able to beat an NBA scrub.