Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Red face The smarter you are, the slower time moves

This is one of those weird quirks of reality, but it's apparently true.

(backstory:) I find time dilation and Einstein's theory of special relativity so strange, and I sometimes randomly puzzle over it. It's really hard to understand/believe time is not standard, but tests seem to bear it out. The faster an object moves through space, the more slowly it experiences time. At light speed, time essentially stops. Most people have some kind of general familiarity with this concept.

But it got me to wondering: If you could absorb information at light speed, would time also stop? Imagine if you were able to read a book at the speed of light. You could read the entire catalogue of the New York Public Library in under an hour. You could master every skill on Earth in under a day. You could do a nearly infinite amount of things in less than a calendar year. Time would be completely meaningless.

I did some googling on the issue and it turns out... it's true. Not only that, but it isn't just a theoretical truth... it's a practical one. Someone who is very good at something absorbs and processes the information faster, and thus experiences time in a different way when doing it. For instance Michael Jordan playing basketball. He can so quickly process the position of the defender, the movement of the ball, etc. he's actually experiencing the game more slowly, and thus can play it more effectively. It's the same with anything else. If a kid absorbs a math lesson in 20 minutes, while another student needs an hour of tutoring to understand it... they've both accomplished the exact same task, but one of them has done so in less time. Meaning, time went slower.

So, yeah. Pretty crazy stuff. Next time you get the feeling time is getting away from you, or the years are whizzing by.... try picking up a book
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 01-10-2019 at 04:25 AM.

Default Re: The smarter you are, the slower time moves

neo is really smart

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    neo is really smart

Yeah. But is he... BIG?

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

1) Time doesn’t exist.

2) Thread title is false. It’s not how smart you are. It’s how your brain is growing/absorbing information. This is why, amongst other less applicable reasons, “time” seems to creep as a child. Your brain is absorbing more information and at a faster rate. But you’re certainly not smarter. As you age, indeed progressively more and more of existence itself imprints less and less as you’ve seen and experienced it all before... and... your brain is no longer physically growing.

NBA Legend

[QUOTE=Ben Simmons 25]1) Time doesn

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy

I have 16,899 posts gypsy boy. You have FEVERISHLY scoured the internet 16,899 times looking for some way to bust me for forgery. And the best you can do is a webpage that explains special relativity, trying to spin it like I was taking credit for inventing e=mc2 in this thread

16,899 times fiddy. Not a lot goin on in Bulgaria I guess

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

OP stuck on fast forward

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    OP stuck on fat forward
    FTFY

Also the heavier the object is, the slower time moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    The faster you do this... the smarter you are. That's the point. Whether you're an adult or a kid.
    That's just utter nonsense.

You're not smarter as a 2 year old than you are as a 30 year old adult.

You aren't bleeding IQ points relative to your age from the moment you're born until the moment you die. Sure, a drop off starts to happen at some point but it's not at 10 years old nor is it at 20 or 30.

It has nothing to do with how smart you are. It has everything to do with your brain growth and inexperience. Time is moving faster for me in my mid 30s than it was in my mid 20s and it's not even close. The human mind stops development at 25. I'm smarter than I was at 25.

Let me put it another way... Forrest Gump at 5 years old would experience time in a much slower manner than you do at whatever current age you are. Was 5 year old Forrest Gump smarter than you are now, either in IQ or overall intellect? Please.

Nonsensical thread postulation.

I get the sense that this is a troll thread, especially given the nature of you, but I can't find the source material anywhere else. Oh well.
    Last edited by Ben Simmons 25; 01-12-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Then why does time go so fast for me?

Get a job, OP; of course time goes slow when you don't stay busy.

Except there is no simple measure of smart/dumb. Two people can each simultaneously be smarter than the other, just in different ways.

I tutored a guy who could divide three-digit numbers in his head with no issue. But he couldn't put together a simple volume integral. He was significantly smarter than I was at arithmetic, but comparably retarded at thinking geometrically.

I dated a girl who most would not consider smart. Not well-read, not particularly imaginative or deep... but her memory was like files on a hard drive. She had the best sense of direction I have ever seen in a person - she knew our hometown like most people will never know anything. I could name any street within a 10 mile radius and she could tell you what color each house was, and what kind of cars were usually parked there... for the whole street. In order.

My best friend is kind of dopey - a bit clumsy, forgetful, even inarticulate sometimes. But I will struggle with some issue in life for weeks, then when I speak to him the first thing out of his mouth will be fresh, insightful, and exactly the right perspective to help me out of whatever it was. He will wash his hands over prepping food because he's that oblivious, but he is great with people and is full of great ideas.

Time is measurable. "Smart" is not. So it can't really be a thing, even for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Except there is no simple measure of smart/dumb. Two people can each simultaneously be smarter than the other, just in different ways.

I tutored a guy who could divide three-digit numbers in his head with no issue. But he couldn't put together a simple volume integral. He was significantly smarter than I was at arithmetic, but comparably retarded at thinking geometrically.

I dated a girl who most would not consider smart. Not well-read, not particularly imaginative or deep... but her memory was like files on a hard drive. She had the best sense of direction I have ever seen in a person - she knew our hometown like most people will never know anything. I could name any street within a 10 mile radius and she could tell you what color each house was, and what kind of cars were usually parked there... for the whole street. In order.

My best friend is kind of dopey - a bit clumsy, forgetful, even inarticulate sometimes. But I will struggle with some issue in life for weeks, then when I speak to him the first thing out of his mouth will be fresh, insightful, and exactly the right perspective to help me out of whatever it was. He will wash his hands over prepping food because he's that oblivious, but he is great with people and is full of great ideas.

Time is measurable. "Smart" is not. So it can't really be a thing, even for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    Normally I hate when people ask for things spelled out, but are you calling my post bullshit? Or am I Joe Pesci here?