Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1960 Team USA 2nd half highlights vs USSR

Default Re: 1960 Team USA 2nd half highlights vs USSR

What I noticed:

[LIST][*]So many turnovers[*]Hardly any left handed dribbling[*]Fast breaks (if you can call them that) looked like what you'd see from people who don't play the game[/LIST]

But good find

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    What I noticed:

[LIST][*]So many turnovers[*]Hardly any left handed dribbling[*]Fast breaks (if you can call them that) looked like what you'd see from people who don't play the game[/LIST]

But good find
    And to curtail, what more objective fans might also notice:

[LIST][*]Lots of turnovers, because the game was called tight and the U.S. team played aggressive on both ends, and was a lot more talented than the USSR team. 1992 Olympic basketball games also had "lots of turnovers" for the same reason.[*]USSR team that game was probably as good as most of the teams U.S. faced in 1992, though I only highlighted the U.S. team in these clips.[*]Jerry West was right hand dominant, we get it, as co-captain he brought the ball up a lot in that 1960 game half footage so of course watching him do his thing all game makes it look like "hardly any left hand dribbling" was normal, but it wasn't even back then... nobody else I watched had an allergic off hand that game.[*]Their fast break resulted in points did it not? 1960 team looks solid, greatest/most talented amateur team the U.S. ever assembled. Quit hating.[/LIST]

The first thing that stands out to me is that on this team West played PG more than Robertson did, at least in these clips.

Quote Originally Posted by pudman13
    The first thing that stands out to me is that on this team West played PG more than Robertson did, at least in these clips.
    Yeah it's a small sample from a game fragment though. Oscar didn't start the second half but he finished the game. And we also know he was a starter so he could have played the whole first half, rested the "3rd quarter" of play (where West picked up ball handling) than come back in and retained control. If you notice, once he checks in the ball is in his hands at least as much as it is in West's if not a little more.

This is only the 2nd half of one Olympic game. So the way we should look at it is, how much would the 2nd half of the Croatia game tell you about the 1992 dream team? Wish we had more. I've got a few more clips from this game btw, in color, from what appears to be the first half. No sound though.

It's also notable that with Oscar at 6'5" and West at 6'4 1/2" that's one really big backcourt, and they were both excellent rebounders.

College superstar

i hate shitting on past eras - but wow that was some terribly played basketball.

awful coordination, numerous turnovers, no offensive sets, chucking without hesitation.

that was brutal to watch.

GOAT lineup in a team till the Dream Team appeared.
    USA just toying with the 2nd best team in the world, especially defensively (love West's intensity). Some love to pretend that the margin between the NBA and the rest of the world peaked at the time of the Dream Team, yet, 32 years before then, an all-college team was dominating almost in the same manner. An all-pro team of that era would be beating the Soviets by around 50 and everyone else by 60+.

What's with the horrible shot selection?

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    i hate shitting on past eras - but wow that was some terribly played basketball.

awful coordination, numerous turnovers, no offensive sets, chucking without hesitation.

that was brutal to watch.
    Yeah, looked almost as bad as USA vs Croatia 1992. Past basketball is so painful to watch.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Yeah, looked almost as bad as USA vs Croatia 1992. Past basketball is so painful to watch.
    i saw nobody on the level of petrovic or kukoc in that clip. LOL at your bias.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    Brilliant. Do you ever wonder sometimes why you are here posting on ISH and not scouting for the NBA?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Brilliant.
    im glad that you agree - but why post footage that completely embarrasses wilt's era?

Right, because, after all, Petrovic and Kukoc were looking like their normal selves when facing the Dream Team...Especially Kukoc in their 1st encounter looked like a scrub, quite painful to watch really.