Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

Default Re: Bulking up for Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Euroball5
    Why shouldn't somebody young take a weight gainer supplement ?

I had a big message typed that got lost just now.

so I will sum up by saying, youth should learn to eat whole natural foods before trying to take shortcuts with products that noone really knows what exactly is in it. Except for the manufacturer themselves. Financially, the $40+ used on weight gainer could be used for a lot of whole foods that are much better for the body. Also I assume by weight gainer, one does not mean protein powder, I personally am a little more lax on protein shakes, but not much. I think most people hurt their on court performance by trying to haphazardly attempting to gain weight in any way possible.

BTW, the suggestion on mostly compound exercises is great. I agree wholeheartedly.

Weight Gainer is protein powder packed with carbs. There is nothing wrong with taking a weight gainer. Whole foods are great... but 800-1,000 calories (which is what most weight gainers run per shake) isn't the easiest to scarf down when it comes to eating them. It's much easier to consume the calories via weight gainer and it's a helluva lot more convenient... Not only that, but the whey protein you get from powders is the best for muscle growth and development.
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 01-27-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    Im 16 years old. I workout a lot like when im at home I used to do 200 pushups a day, run stairs, pull ups, squats, dynamic stretching. This is because I just don't have access to a gym as of right now but I am dedicated. I don't mind putting on some fat because when the preseason/season come around I would have ran every last bit of fat off my body. Besides when you build muscle you gain fat regardless.

I WOULD LOVE TO GAIN 40lbs by the beginning off next season but the thing is how can I do so while playing basketball frequently and not losing to much athleticism. My friend that went to hempstead was 5'9" 195lbs and was dunking like it was as simple as breathing. He would get to the rim at will because he was quick as lightning and could run you out of his way. I envy his ability to be doing that at his size.

The weight room exercises I think help gain weight are:
    Bench Press
    Deadlifts
    Squats (unfortunately my school doesn't have it)
    DB Rows

I just need a good routine to follow.
    At 16 years old, I assume no formal gym training, I would do two things, one focus on overall body balance, this will reduce/hopefully prevent future injury. Such as was recommended pullups, 200 push ups is kinda alot, but ok you were doing them, need to balance that out with some back training, the back and posterior chain is your stability both on the court and in the weight room. You can still do squats, bodyweight and dumbell squats are quite fine replacements and alternates of barbell squat.

Your 5'9" friend sounds like someone that si out of the norm. I have seem it too, older guys with spare tires around the midsection slamming down, very mentally frustrating, but not everyone is alike. Need to focus on what is going to make you a better baller, not why they are. Good luck

Im trying to gain weight to and so far i have been somewhat successful. I lift twice a week after school (Monday's upper body/Thursday's lower body) and afterwards i drink monster milk (45g's of protein) and i have increased my food intake by a ton. It is working considering when i started doing this in mid november i was 155lbs (at 6'5" that is sickly skinny) to now 170lbs (had a week when i was sick and i lost 5-10 lbs so i think i would be more). Now i haven't been doing much running or speed drills but i haven't noticed much of a difference in those things at my indoor soccer games. My goal is to be 185-190 by next bball season...Does that sound good for a 6'5" maybe 6'6" big man?
    I think the weight gain seems to be ok, about 8 pounds a month average. As you get a little heavier it will probably level off a bit, and I think 190 or so is fine. As long as the training and on court ability doesn't suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Weight Gainer is protein powder packed with carbs. There is nothing wrong with taking a weight gainer. Whole foods are great... but 800-1,000 calories (which is what most weight gainers run per shake) isn't the easiest to scarf down when it comes to eating them. It's much easier to consume the calories via weight gainer and it's a helluva lot more convenient... Not only that, but the whey protein you get from powders is the best for muscle growth and development.

That was a point I forgot to explain, time issues. Especially with high schoolers, limited time and ability during and after school. Also limited ability to eat correctly during that time, and probably parents with limited time to cook and prepare meals that are what one needs.

Powders- convienent, yes.....the best option for youth, no.....are there other options avaliable for them, yes but it will require research and preperation on thier part.

I wouldn't call powders the BEST, but that is why I am a little lax on protein itself as opposed to products that advertise as "weight gainers" as sometimes they are the easy way out for those that absolutely have tried everything or absolutely don't have spare time, or even a car to get access to regular food.

I DEFINITELY need the weight gain supplement for a number of reasons.

Where can I buy them?
    If I do a workout with only pushups pull ups and squats then take the supplement do I still gain the weight along with muscle mass.

I do have some weight lifting experience its not like I haven't lifted before. I have been weight training ever since I turned 15 (but nothing too serious just for basketball) so I know the exercises that will help me. I need some workouts and routines to gain the weight while staying active (playing basketball) not sure anybody has come up with such a workout though.

You can buy them at GNC or pretty much any other nutrition store. Just ask for a weight gainer... they are all pretty much the same and most of them taste good.

It will still work even though you are limited. Start thinking outside the box a lil bit and maybe start on a plyometric pushup routine... Those are better for building power and strength than regular pushups. Also, one legged squats (Pistols) are great as well and chances are you can't do very many of them so they are great for power (and that's what you want considering you are trying to gain weight).

Obv. if you had gym access and could do a wider variety of exercises it would work better... but it still ought to work. As long as you are playing basketball getting that cardio in you should stay lean... but recognize that will make gaining weight more difficult as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    You can buy them at GNC or pretty much any other nutrition store. Just ask for a weight gainer... they are all pretty much the same and most of them taste good.

It will still work even though you are limited. Start thinking outside the box a lil bit and maybe start on a plyometric pushup routine... Those are better for building power and strength than regular pushups. Also, one legged squats (Pistols) are great as well and chances are you can't do very many of them so they are great for power (and that's what you want considering you are trying to gain weight).

Obv. if you had gym access and could do a wider variety of exercises it would work better... but it still ought to work. As long as you are playing basketball getting that cardio in you should stay lean... but recognize that will make gaining weight more difficult as well.
    I am going to go a bit further and say if you are thinking of using supplements, I would suggest Optimum Nutrition. They are a bit more accurate IMO as to what is in their product and IF my athletes touch any type of supplement it is most likely going to be from them.

I agree with swaggin, those are three basic moves, I would add a lounge type movement or step up, or single leg deadlift reach just for another posterior chain activity.

You mean you wouldn't recommend Muscletech products?

Not airballing my layups anymore Euroball5's Avatar

So would would you guys agree with this upperbody workout to go along with vjb bodyweight program?

DB rows 5x5
    DB floor press 5x5
    DB shoulder press 5x5

would just that be enough or should i add these isolation exercises as well:

DB tricep extension 5x5
    DB curl 5x5
    DB wrist curl 5x5

With a weigth gainer supplement(1000 calories) which i definetly need because there's no way I can get 3000+ calories everyday with my schedule

Otherwise what would you change/add ?(sets and reps?)

Also I have another question...

Do you gain weight as you get older? Im talking about like 16-21 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    Also I have another question...

Do you gain weight as you get older? Im talking about like 16-21 years old.
    Usually yes as long as you eat properly if you're still in puberty.

So would would you guys agree with this upperbody workout to go along with vjb bodyweight program?

DB rows 5x5
    DB floor press 5x5
    DB shoulder press 5x5

would just that be enough or should i add these isolation exercises as well:

DB tricep extension 5x5
    DB curl 5x5
    DB wrist curl 5x5

With a weigth gainer supplement(1000 calories) which i definetly need because there's no way I can get 3000+ calories everyday with my schedule

Otherwise what would you change/add ?(sets and reps?)

I assume that floor presses are chest press/bench presses?

I would presonally change the isolation exercises, if you must do them to a 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps as oppesed to a 5x5.

Quote Originally Posted by ABPrints
    I assume that floor presses are chest press/bench presses?

I would presonally change the isolation exercises, if you must do them to a 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps as oppesed to a 5x5.
    Floor press is a bench press on the floor.
    Ok I'll do 3x8 but just to know why should i change it ?
    So should i do all the exercises i mentioned or ust the compound ones?and are there any other exercices i should add/remove

Saw a basketball once

agree, like Serious Mass ON, Pro Compex Gainer ON are the best to gain weigh and muscle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Al3aZeF
    agree, like Serious Mass ON, Pro Compex Gainer ON are the best to gain weigh and muscle as well.

Ultimately because of this. Protein and macro recommendations are set for healthy adults, not the bodies of constantly changing youth. So what is the correct intake for a young one? Kids dont' sit down and write out macro intake, they think in terms of "what should or where should I eat today". Therefor eit is my opinion that kids should just focus on bringing in natural calories and not those manufacted in a plant somewhere. If it is found that a kid absolutely is not getting the intake they should, then add a good well made protein pwoder, but IMO, not those labeled "weight gainer" too many empty calories and junk.