Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Bulking up for Basketball

I want to gain weight because I feel it will help me become a better scorer and rebounder. The thing is I don't want to lose my athletic ability.

Im 5'11 and 140lbs(lost a few pounds with all the running during the season)

So this offseason I want to bulk up maybe like 10 more lbs. The thing is I don't want to lose any of the athletic ability I have(speed, vertical jump, quickness, etc.) and I think I can sacrifice my aerobic exercises.

My favorite undersized guards (Jonny Flynn, Ty Lawson, Chris Paul and so on) all are about 5'10-11 but weigh 160+.

Im a Junior in HS and next year is my final season playing HS ball I want to be productive and I think this will help.

Default Re: Bulking up for Basketball

Today i thought about that too .. I'm 5'9 with 138 pounds, (i look like Ricky Rubio) and i want to gain weight too without losing all the skills that you said.
    Some people tell me, it's all about the alimentation or your rotine .. i don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    Today i thought about that too .. I'm 5'9 with 138 pounds, (i look like Ricky Rubio) and i want to gain weight too without losing all the skills that you said.
    Some people tell me, it's all about the alimentation or your rotine .. i don't know.
    oh snap u do look alot like Ricky lol. Yea gaining weight will help but I just need a way to do it without ruining my athleticism. Also when tryouts come again I want to be in great shape but still maintain the weight.

Saw a basketball once

I'd say in addition to weight lifting, do some flexibility training too. It takes a while for muscle to become a hindrance - obviously you don't see bodybuilder size guys playing in college or the NBA, all huge and hulking like those worlds strongest man competitions or olympics weight lifters. That body type isn't conducive to basketball, because in basketball speed and mobility are critical. Thing is, it takes years and years to reach that level. A few months of weight lifting will give you some modest gains and IMPROVE your athletic ability. Few years of weight lifting consistently, you could start getting too bulky and musclebound, lose quickness, not be able to jump as high. Maybe not though. Different people and different workout styles produce different results.

Look at NBA players - most are lean but quite strong - best balance of lightness and power. Check out on youtube or something the NBA players routines, basketball specific exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge
    I'd say in addition to weight lifting, do some flexibility training too. It takes a while for muscle to become a hindrance - obviously you don't see bodybuilder size guys playing in college or the NBA, all huge and hulking like those worlds strongest man competitions or olympics weight lifters. That body type isn't conducive to basketball, because in basketball speed and mobility are critical. Thing is, it takes years and years to reach that level. A few months of weight lifting will give you some modest gains and IMPROVE your athletic ability. Few years of weight lifting consistently, you could start getting too bulky and musclebound, lose quickness, not be able to jump as high. Maybe not though. Different people and different workout styles produce different results.

Look at NBA players - most are lean but quite strong - best balance of lightness and power. Check out on youtube or something the NBA players routines, basketball specific exercises.

thats true but look at guys like jonny flynn ty lawson and chris paul. All around 5-10 but they weight like 185+ and still are very quick and have crazy hops, athletic ability. I just want it like that not to be a bodybuilder.

Saw a basketball once

Nutrition is key, getting enough protein and calories and vitamins can help you bulk up. Maybe some specific muscle groups should get more attention. Legs of course are critical, and I've heard triceps help a lot with shooting too.

Nutrition is key, getting enough protein and calories and vitamins can help you bulk up. Maybe some specific muscle groups should get more attention. Legs of course are critical, and I've heard triceps help a lot with shooting too.
    Hummm , nice tip thanks

The legs account for a lot of bodyweight and I think maybe the back or chest not sure.

5'11 140... you could stand to gain about 40 pounds man. Cornerbacks have to be even more fluid in their movements than ball players and they are about 5'10 185 or so (Some bigger than that).

Listen, you are not going to look anything like a bodybuilder unless you take a bunch of supplements and/or steroids. Anybody who looks bigger than a person should be is almost guaranteed to be taking something. I have been weight training for 7 years and if you saw me you wouldn't think I was too big (and I train hard 5 days a week I'm not just someone who doesn't know what he is doing.)... it may be bigger than what you want but you won't think I look like a bodybuilder... So don't worry about that. Plus, once you are satisfied, you can start working out less and simply maintain where you are. Don't do less reps to tone... that doesn't do anything but train a bunch of slow twitch fibers and it doesn't make you more ripped. IMO you should only do light weight if you are coming back from injury... otherwise heavy weight and more heavy weight.

A few months of weight lifting will give you some modest gains and IMPROVE your athletic ability
    Yes this is so true. Obviously your legs are key. What you want, is maximum strength without being too heavy. Many guys are 160 pounds yet can squat 400+... that is where you want to be. You want to be strong as bull but not muscular too where you start getting tight. Like you mentioned, guys like Flynn, Nate Robinson, J Nelson... They are all around 185 pounds and they move around just fine. They are world class athletes so don't get it twisted and think that you can be just like that... you have to find your zone... but it just goes to show that it can be done.

Whatever you do though you have to be consistent. Too many times I have heard you say you haven't been to the gym in weeks... you might as well just do nothing if that's going to continue to be the case.

I would like to see someone making a plan to do in the gym .. but i guess it's too hard and to boring to make it.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Dayum! I though I was skinny!

It depends on the excersises you're doing. I mean if you're just doing maximum gain stuff then yeah you may lose some agility. However if you do body area specific workouts for things that you want to improve on I don;t think you'll gain too much.

However even if you do maximum gain workouts it takes a large amount of time to build up muscle to the point of it being a hinderence.

One thing you can do is supplement your lifting with other excersies to imrove flexability and balance. Guys like Tiger did that to have both massive gain and great flexability.

I need to both bulk up and get more flexible badly lol

Saw a basketball once

Plan to do at the gym? Sure.

Start off by having a good meal with protein and carbohydrates and take a multi-vitamin, also drink a glass or two of water. Then give your stomach an hour or so to rest before you start at the gym. Warm up for about 10 minutes on the treadmill, doing laps jogging, jumping rope, or play basketball at a brisk pace. The goal of warming up is to get your heart rate increased to pump more blood, your veins enlarged to deliver more blood to the muscles faster, and to get your tendons and muscles limber which decreases the risk of injury. If your gym has weight machines like Nautilus or Hammer Strength, use those. Start with the leg machines (my favorite is the leg press). Set the weight high enough so you can only do about 8 to 12 repetitions, and make sure you really squeeze out the last rep with all your energy, achieving muscle failure is key to making gains. After your workout, your body needs protein, make sure you get plenty shortly after. Give your muscles a days rest in between, then go back in again the day after. Once you can do more than 12 reps, increase the weight.

If you don't have access to a gym, learn some moves with free weights. They are pretty cheap, but if you can't get them, you can use a milk jug filled with water or other big container or heavy object with a handle.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    5'11 140... you could stand to gain about 40 pounds man. Cornerbacks have to be even more fluid in their movements than ball players and they are about 5'10 185 or so (Some bigger than that).

Listen, you are not going to look anything like a bodybuilder unless you take a bunch of supplements and/or steroids. Anybody who looks bigger than a person should be is almost guaranteed to be taking something. I have been weight training for 7 years and if you saw me you wouldn't think I was too big (and I train hard 5 days a week I'm not just someone who doesn't know what he is doing.)... it may be bigger than what you want but you won't think I look like a bodybuilder... So don't worry about that. Plus, once you are satisfied, you can start working out less and simply maintain where you are. Don't do less reps to tone... that doesn't do anything but train a bunch of slow twitch fibers and it doesn't make you more ripped. IMO you should only do light weight if you are coming back from injury... otherwise heavy weight and more heavy weight.

Yes this is so true. Obviously your legs are key. What you want, is maximum strength without being too heavy. Many guys are 160 pounds yet can squat 400+... that is where you want to be. You want to be strong as bull but not muscular too where you start getting tight. Like you mentioned, guys like Flynn, Nate Robinson, J Nelson... They are all around 185 pounds and they move around just fine. They are world class athletes so don't get it twisted and think that you can be just like that... you have to find your zone... but it just goes to show that it can be done.

Whatever you do though you have to be consistent. Too many times I have heard you say you haven't been to the gym in weeks... you might as well just do nothing if that's going to continue to be the case.

Great advice. As an athlete, you should look to get as strong as possible while remaining relatively light. Strength to weight ratio is key. Whatever size comes with getting stronger is fine, but don't worry too much about getting bigger. Low reps, higher sets would be great, but a basic 3x5 routine on the squat is very good too. Just remember to constantly try to progress. If you can do 185lbs for 3x5, then next workout, try maybe 195lbs and stick with that until you can get that for 3x5. Not necessarily the most ideal setup, but it'll work out for you great. I'm personally a big fan of Reggie Bush because of his athleticism. He's about 205lbs and squats 550lbs. That's more then a 2.5xbw squat, and he's considered "small". He also has a 4.3 40yard dash and 40.5 inch vertical.
    Again, along with being consistent, you have to be progressing too. Always push yourself and you'll get results.

Plan to do at the gym? Sure.

Start off by having a good meal with protein and carbohydrates and take a multi-vitamin, also drink a glass or two of water. Then give your stomach an hour or so to rest before you start at the gym. Warm up for about 10 minutes on the treadmill, doing laps jogging, jumping rope, or play basketball at a brisk pace. The goal of warming up is to get your heart rate increased to pump more blood, your veins enlarged to deliver more blood to the muscles faster, and to get your tendons and muscles limber which decreases the risk of injury. If your gym has weight machines like Nautilus or Hammer Strength, use those. Start with the leg machines (my favorite is the leg press). Set the weight high enough so you can only do about 8 to 12 repetitions, and make sure you really squeeze out the last rep with all your energy, achieving muscle failure is key to making gains. After your workout, your body needs protein, make sure you get plenty shortly after. Give your muscles a days rest in between, then go back in again the day after. Once you can do more than 12 reps, increase the weight.

If you don't have access to a gym, learn some moves with free weights. They are pretty cheap, but if you can't get them, you can use a milk jug filled with water or other big container or heavy object with a handle.
    WOW, thanks for the help,
    But, just that?

I need 2 things..

- Increase my vertical, 5'9 (27 inches of vertical i guess)
    - Gain height, i'm 138 right now.