Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I don't get Cleveland's strategy

You have to take the field if you were betting on net years NBA championship. Why not keep Wiggins and just sign Love when he opts out after the season?

It's entirely possible, and Love has obviously shown he's willing to sign with the Cavs long term. The Cavs will contend for a spot in the finals without him next season, and if they keep all the valuable pieces they have now and get Love they could be historically stacked.

Idk, I'd like Love to stay out West but that's because I'm a Wizards fan and don't want the Cavs to get better. I'm a big Love fan and it would be a shame to have to root against him.

Also, how can NBA GMs make such awful decisions that are almost immediately known to be terrible?
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 07-30-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Default Re: I don't get Cleveland's strategy

It took a lot of effort to make this thread.
    I think i can explain it to you

Top 1 Bball Mind.

they can't just sign him...and love is getting traded before the season starts...if not to cle then chicago or gs

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    they can't just sign him...and love is getting traded before the season starts...if not to cle then chicago or gs
    ok, so if they don't get him now they'll miss the opportunity. So it's all on Love and where he'll be willing to reisgn

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    You have to take the field if you were betting on net years NBA championship. Why not keep Wiggins and just sign Love when he opts out after the season?

It's entirely possible, and Love has obviously shown he's willing to sign with the Cavs long term. The Cavs will contend for a spot in the finals without him next season, and if they keep all the valuable pieces they have now and get Love they could be historically stacked.

Idk, I'd like Love to stay out West but that's because I'm a Wizards fan and don't want the Cavs to get better. I'm a big Love fan and it would be a shame to have to root against him.

Also, how can NBA GMs make such awful decisions that are almost immediately known to be terrible?
    We won't have the cap space to sign him next offseason regardless of how much salary we unload. That's when Kyrie's max extension really starts going into action and LeBron is getting $20+ million a year. Toss in a new contract (presumably) for Dion Waiters and the other young pieces we choose to keep... Cap space is going to be severely limited from this point forward.

If they adopted your strategy, they'd have to find a way to do a S&T with Minnesota and I don't even think it would get to that point. Minnesota is going to find a suitor for Love between now and then, even if it is for a subpar package. If the Cavs really want Love and they think he's the short and longterm answer, they almost have to make a move.

And, I'm firmly in the camp that wanted to just keep Wiggins... but, Love is a 25-year-old beast... and this is probably the one chance to get him. There is no easy answer.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

ok, so if they don't get him now they'll miss the opportunity. So it's all on Love and where he'll be willing to reisgn
    If he goes to GSW or Chicago, I'd say chances are very high that he re-signs with them, regardless of what he may be saying now.

Again, the Cavs would not be able to afford him in the open market next offseason. It would have to be a S&T situation and that takes both Love pushing his way out of what is probably a good situation (in Chicago or GSW) for less money (they own his Bird rights) and a team who is willing to trade him to us.

It's a lot more complicated than it might seem.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out

This dude has been obsessed with rep. He thinks posting .gifs will get him green

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

James can opt out after a year. I'm not sure he's demanding the Love trade happen but with that opt-out he has let the Cavs know that if he doesn't think they're making the moves needed to win a ring he will leave.

Meanwhile Minnie doesn't want to be losing Love for nothing as an FA. So they are going to trade him. The team they trade him do does not want to be left with an unrestricted FA if they give up real assets so part of the deal will be Love signing an extension.

So Cleveland cannot bank on signing Love outright.

What does add a bit of mystery is Cleveland signing Wiggins, which means he can't be traded until August 23rd. If they had agreed to a deal with Minnie that included Wiggins that would be a bit confusing. So Cleveland may be the frontrunner but this isn't a done deal.

NBA Superstar

They are doing what LeBron has requested because they don't want LeBron to opt out after this year. It's that simple.

I think that nearly all of ISH thinks that Wiggins is absolutely more valuable than Love, especially on a rookie deal. But that's not what LeBron wants.
    Last edited by russwest0; 07-30-2014 at 09:58 PM.

This dude has been obsessed with rep. He thinks posting .gifs will get him green
    im already green and no i dont do this for rep i just give dumb answers to dumb threads.Your opinion is not any better than anyone else's go post this sht in the 100 other cav threads you don't need a thread for this

im already green and no i dont do this for rep i just give dumb answers to dumb threads.Your opinion is not any better than anyone else's go post this sht in the 100 other cav threads you don't need a thread for this
    I thought you promised you'd leave if we all told you how much you sucked

I thought you promised you'd leave if we all told you how much you sucked

If you don't like a thread stop bumping it. Otherwise you're just seeking attention.