Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: As a Lakers fan, it's kind of depressing hearing...

Obviously they didn't get along for many reasons. Shaq was the alpha male and demanded respect. Kobe a cocky kid wasn't going to give respect unless it's earned. Kobe didn't want to bow down, so Shaq made his rookie life miserable. They just hated each other from then on.

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    That's why I support white players/white teams. You never hear this bullshit coming from white guys. Some of these black players are like wild beasts in their dealings.

NBA lottery pick

That's why I support white players/white teams. You never hear this bullshit coming from white guys. Some of these black players are like wild beasts in their dealings.
    Who?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    Who?
    02-03 dallas, utah jazz, pacers, bucks...

i don't see whats so racist given that most black guys who don't like dirk or the mavs dislike him because of his race.

If it makes you feel better, the majority of NBA players have these kinds of issues. The more fame you get the more ego you get. Shaq's a pretty annoying/extreme case though.
    But so was Jordan, Kareem, etc. You're rooting for the player, not the person. I know it sounds like a distinction without a difference, but I always have those 2 things separated when watching players. I know nothing about their lives, but I do see what they can do on a basketball court. It's also why I never comment on a guy's personal life etc.

Good High School Starter

Kobe was young, worked hard, and wanted to be the best in the game. Yet for years he got hated for it, and everyone sided with Shaq.

Never heard of Rick Barry.....

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Trouble follows Kobe. He's just a guy that people dislike easily because of his personality. Two faced, not a nice guy, arrogant, and more. Who cares..I couldn't stand those 00's lakers. My favorite laker team was the 72 team.

Good High School Starter nycelt84's Avatar

It's easy to see you've never heard of Rick Barry, Jason Williams, and Jerry Lucas.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Last edited by lakers_forever; 11-03-2011 at 08:57 AM.

The funny thing is Shaq doesn't care and he didn't care and for most other people that would be a major mark on his career but this guy has flat out dominated basiclly every year. 13 straight seasons of 20,10/ 9 straight seasons of 25,10 all basiclly on 55% shooting not to mention he was arguably the most dominant player ever at his peak. Say what you want about how he handled things off the court and in the locker room but Shaq... Is Shaq no matter how you spin.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

It's depressing to know that they could have won more titles.

But, on Kobe's defense, the undermining of his titles with Shaq (when people say Shaq could have won with anyone, that Kobe was just a sidekick, that his rings don't count) gives Kobe reasons on why he behaved that way, wanting to be the "man" of the team. Some people claim only his 2009 and 2010 rings count because he was the aplha male.

How can society criticizes Kobe when people only give "real" credict to the most important part of the team?

A super talented player like Pippen does not recieve the credict he deserves because he won with the G.O.A.T. I think that was the motivation of everyone wanting to be the man. I mean no one dared to say that Oscar ring with Kareem did not count or that big O was dispensable just because he wasn't the most dominant player on the team. This mentality is more recent, probably stronger after the Jordan era.

I think that after Pippen, only a player who knows he is not talented enough to be the man himself would "settle" for not being the man of his own team (Bosh is a great example).

Some people might bring Lebron going to the Heat as an argument against this theory. But I really think his ego* is so big that he never thought anyone would dare to not consider thim the man of the Heat with Wade and Bosh as his Robins. Same with Wade.

* All those superstars have giant egos. Kobe, Wade, Lebron and so on.
    Last edited by lakers_forever; 11-03-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Hearing the stuff he pulled in that book, 'The Show'...and now this? It's really distasteful. I've lost a lot of respect for him.
    After the "I got injured on company time and I'll get better on company time" fiasco in 2002, how much respect did you have left for Shaq? There was also the "Pay me!!!" preseason rant to Jerry Buss in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    After the "I got injured on company time and I'll get better on company time" fiasco in 2002, how much respect did you have left for Shaq? There was also the "Pay me!!!" preseason rant to Jerry Buss in 2003.
    That "company time" thing always makes me throw up a little. You really can't pick sides in the Kobe/Shaq feud. They're both horrible people.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    theres a reason shaq is hated by all his ex teams. he alienated his way off all of them. magic fans, lakers fans, heat fans, and whoever the hell else he played for got no love. he usually bashes everyone and their mother on his way out. hes a baby with no class.
    I've only heard of Kobe and Steve Nash having huge problems with him and hate for him. Penny had his problems with him but they still encouraged reuniting with each other on the Heat many years later. Who else is there? Its sounds like most people love the guy.