Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Bloodbath STEM VS Bubble Bath Liberal Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    The "S" in STEM stands for science dude which includes physics, math and chemistry.
    Well Science doesn't include math, the "M" in STEM is for math.

Science. Technology. Engineering. Math.

That dumbass doesn't even realize all STEM students have to take a shit ton of math and science classes, nor does 9er who responded to him as if he has any clue in the matter. One of my tutors in school is a Master in Physics, has 2 Engineering degrees, and is currently working for his Doctorate in Physics. No jobs in the Chem/Physics fields?

He has a job waiting for him once he finished his PhD which pays on average 500k a year. Crazy amounts of school for a crazy amount of pay.

But yes OP, finish your STEM degree and you'll be set bruh. My homie just finished Industrial and Systems engineering, already got offered a job in Atlanta (and accepted) as a consultant making 68k right out of college (dude hasn't even walked yet, they already hired him). I'm going for Information Systems which is identical to a Systems engineer, just a different degree name and imo easier to finish, but employers look at that shit the same, real talk. You could be a Computer Science major doing the exact same job, working side by side with a Computer engineer and an IT major (least demanding of tech degrees), making the same salary.

I got broads in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    trumptard #3
    So tolerant of you... making fun of mental disabilities.

You are the ideal Democrat. For being tolerant, you and DW sure like to use the word tard a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    So tolerant of you... making fun of mental disabilities.

You are the ideal Democrat. For being tolerant, you and DW sure like to use the word tard a lot.
    lmao, so you admit being a Trump supporter equates to some kind of mental illness?

Where were you nerds when I was struggling with algebra
    Fcking hate math never paid attention to it in my life
    Made it out with a B+ in college or some shit

I'm not a math guy. I'm the you keep the change guy. Gotta brush up on some maths though. Take shit serious. People who exceed in math have a logical way of making decisions. People like myself need to really trust their judgement and I'm talking about real life scenarios math helps you where you don't see it.

Rote memorisation isn't difficult, which is pretty much the basis of most STEM undergrad work (with a few exceptions).

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Where were you nerds when I was struggling with algebra
    Fcking hate math never paid attention to it in my life
    Made it out with a B+ in college or some shit

I'm not a math guy. I'm the you keep the change guy. Gotta brush up on some maths though. Take shit serious. People who exceed in math have a logical way of making decisions. People like myself need to really trust their judgement and I'm talking about real life scenarios math helps you where you don't see it.
    It's partly because schools don't bother teaching real mathematics: its purpose, meaning, philosophical foundations, relation to logic, etc.

They just teach you how to solve problems using pre-set methods, from dry and pedagogical textbooks. Almost no-one can find that kind of learning interesting. If they started you off with Euclid (a beautiful and brilliant book--the kind of thing that could trigger interest in the subject) and then something like Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica for the more advanced, I think people would find the subject more interesting and engaging. As it is, kids only learn a bunch of methods which they have forgotten by the time they reach the age of 20. Thus it is all essentially a huge waste of time; might as well just teach arithmetic, and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Rote memorisation isn't difficult, which is pretty much the basis of most STEM undergrad work (with a few exceptions).
    lmao, oh? Take an upper level Calculus class, let's see how Rote memorization works out for you

It's partly because schools don't bother teaching real mathematics: its purpose, meaning, philosophical foundations, relation to logic, etc.

They just teach you how to solve problems using pre-set methods, from dry and pedagogical textbooks. Almost no-one can find that kind of learning interesting. If they started you off with Euclid (a beautiful and brilliant book--the kind of thing that could trigger interest in the subject) and then something like Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica for the more advanced, I think people would find the subject more interesting and engaging. As it is, kids only learn a bunch of methods which they have forgotten by the time they reach the age of 20. Thus it is all essentially a huge waste of time; might as well just teach arithmetic, and leave it at that.
    Definitely agree with you. There are some cases where social sciences help you, it has for me naturally. I haven't applied myself in much classes or reserved attention, it's common sense. Something you're naturally born with and mature as you age through expanding your capabilities through it. Math forcing the way in someones life help with the logical thing, but its one thing to have an answer through a method of solving and its another comprehending what you solved and why you solved it. It's exactly why social sciences shouldn't be underhanded. Some people don't have common sense, instincts and day to day instant reaction to problem solving techniques. I think maths and sciences are definitely required if the career you pick requires it on the day to day.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Half my family are engineers. The thing that sucks about that particular field is one you hit your mid forties you are f*cked. Some kid that will earn a hell of a lot less is able to do your job for much cheaper and you get laid off.

I worked with a ton of 50 something year old engineers when I was at Kmart as a high schooler. It's crazy.

The ones that do really well are the ones that have people skills and wind up doing some sort of selling/consulting. They make the real big bucks and are difficult to replace.

I was studying to be an engineer but I switched majors beginning of my junior year. I didn't wanna go through life working on some obscure product or process for a company that'll probably wind up f*cking me at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    Half my family are engineers. The thing that sucks about that particular field is one you hit your mid forties you are f*cked. Some kid that will earn a hell of a lot less is able to do your job for much cheaper and you get laid off.

I worked with a ton of 50 something year old engineers when I was at Kmart as a high schooler. It's crazy.

The ones that do really well are the ones that have people skills and wind up doing some sort of selling/consulting. They make the real big bucks and are difficult to replace.

I was studying to be an engineer but I switched majors beginning of my junior year. I didn't wanna go through life working on some obscure product or process for a company that'll probably wind up f*cking me at some point.
    My father just turned 50. He's a diesel engineer.. He's healthy as shit and plays cricket still on Sundays since he was a young boy. I guess that helped him continue to stay active and strong. The money is ridiculous though. I'm sure he's hit over 6 digits working for top million dollar companies (with time and a half of course) here in NY. Engineering is the best bang for your buck, but by 45/50/55 your body can't really last to 65. He has this small limp when he walks coming home from work, just exhausted and he runs the shop as the head guy in charge there. The money easily allowed him to buy a $700k house, fancy name brand cars (2 or more), handle bills, with room to go on vacation every year, go out to eat every few months at expensive restaurants as the only ever salary holder.

Engineering should never be looked down at. And that's coming from someone who dropped out of HS, no certification, no degrees, no education. Just a crazy drive to earn money and did one hell of a job being recognized by bosses from company to company where he gained the reputation. I wanted him to join the MTA and somehow get a supervisor job there.

I'm thinking myself to drop out of my BS program for Social Work & take a ASE certification program for 2 years then follow the same path. I'm on the edge right now to stay and pump thousands into a BS & MSW, then have to get my license as a LCSW, to be underpaid and high stressed environments.

If I can go back, @ 18 I'd learn that trade, by 21 I'd be making huge money. I fcked up.

Well that just sounds ridiculous bro, working at kmart and you have an engineering degree? Having an engineering degree opens up more doors than just working as an engineer. If a person has 20 years experience, he won't be laid off for some college grad just because the college grad is "cheaper". They want the top candidates working for them. And even if they do get laid off, with 20yrs experience and an engineering degree, it should be relatively easy to find a new job, possibly completely unrelated to engineering, just because of your credentials.

Agreed with the consulting part though, that's where the money is at and imo, seems like it would be a more enjoyable/less demanding job. Are any of your family members consultants? What degree did they finish, and what kind of firm are they working for? Do they find their line of work enjoyable? Very interested in this field, it's what my degree is all about.

This. So much. I hated math in school, because it was simply boring. Problem x, formula y, solution z.

No thinking involved just learning the formulas and when to use them.

When I did my exams I suddenly gained interest in math, because I always loved physics. Well I studied that then - didn't finish it though - and math is a big junk of it and the language science is written/spoken in. No math, no chemistry, physics, biology, etc..

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Well that just sounds ridiculous bro, working at kmart and you have an engineering degree? Having an engineering degree opens up more doors than just working as an engineer. If a person has 20 years experience, he won't be laid off for some college grad just because the college grad is "cheaper". They want the top candidates working for them. And even if they do get laid off, with 20yrs experience and an engineering degree, it should be relatively easy to find a new job, possibly completely unrelated to engineering, just because of your credentials.

Agreed with the consulting part though, that's where the money is at and imo, seems like it would be a more enjoyable/less demanding job. Are any of your family members consultants? What degree did they finish, and what kind of firm are they working for? Do they find their line of work enjoyable? Very interested in this field, it's what my degree is all about.
    Well you may not like it but that's reality. My father in law was a mech E. Happened to him. My mother in law was a chem E, happened to her. They both worked for GE. One uncle is a PHD chem E, he just got laid off as he approached 60. I got another aunt/uncle duo who both have CS degrees, one is employed the other isn't.

I got one uncle that's a petroleum engineer who currently banks and has banked, he does the consulting side of things, but he's about to be let go. (he's made his money though.) My cousin is a young mech E who was working at GE but just got laid off.

One of my good buddies from school went elec. E and got a job with the federal government. He's set for life. His job has nothing to do with electrical engineering or any sort of engineering for that matter.

Engineering isn't some slam dunk field that colleges make it out to be. My brother in law is a civil engineer and he works his ass off in some cubicle with a hundred other dudes doing the same thing, and he was a top student in his masters class.

If you have the discipline to do the advanced math and chems i'd say your best bet is to get into medicine.

That's exactly what it is. You're conditioning your mind to remember formulas. Majority of the time it's common sense through basic training and remembering, others its provided. I'm not saying it's not important, it's more important to have a mind conditioned and programmed than it is to succeed through passion, common sense and drive. Your chances of being safer, in a better environment, without being harmed and constantly working your way up through promotions are guaranteed through your capabilities as opposed to the other, where your work ethic and success is shown through what you've accomplished, what you've already provided and your strengths through the alternatives.

Well you may not like it but that's reality. My father in law was a mech E. Happened to him. My mother in law was a chem E, happened to her. They both worked for GE. One uncle is a PHD chem E, he just got laid off as he approached 60. I got another aunt/uncle duo who both have CS degrees, one is employed the other isn't.

I got one uncle that's a petroleum engineer who currently banks and has banked, he does the consulting side of things, but he's about to be let go. (he's made his money though.) My cousin is a young mech E who was working at GE but just got laid off.

One of my good buddies from school went elec. E and got a job with the federal government. He's set for life. His job has nothing to do with electrical engineering or any sort of engineering for that matter.

Engineering isn't some slam dunk field that colleges make it out to be. My brother in law is a civil engineer and he works his ass off in some cubicle with a hundred other dudes doing the same thing, and he was a top student in his masters class.

If you have the discipline to do the advanced math and chems i'd say your best bet is to get into medicine.
    As you alluded to, Federal, State and Academia you're protected for the most part. Can't drop a tenured faculty or GS-13 Federal Engineer/Scientist when they hit 68 for some dipshit straight out of grad school. Of course, you don't make the bank as in the private sector, but you're also not subject to all the bullshit in the private sector. Or maybe I should say a different type of bullshit.

Nah, I can't **** with the medical field, not only is the schooling rigorous and takes you forever to finish (I wanna be on my own making cash in my mid 20's, not in school until I'm 30) but the hospitals in this country are dirty af. It's a business, they couldn't give less of a **** about the people themselves.

Plus I like the field I'm in. Sorry to hear about your fam though, that's rough that everyone got laid off...where's yall at, Ohio?