Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: What Race/Ethnicity/Religion are you?

race: white
    ethnicity: german
    religion: catholic

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    race: white
    ethnicity: german
    religion: catholic
    Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

DNA composition:

What I look like:

Not religious.

did you pay for that

those subdivisions are dumb as fck. "British and Irish" "Balkan"

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    did you pay for that

those subdivisions are dumb as fck. "British and Irish" "Balkan"
    Yes several years ago I got it done, 23andme.com don't know if they still do it or not.

The subdivisions are based on haplotypes I believe which is somewhat of an actual distinguishing way of grouping DNA. So "Brittish and Irish" for example may seem dumb but I'm pretty sure they just list the regions strongly associated with said haplotypes since most people don't know or care what the more specific haplotype names are.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Yes several years ago I got it done, 23andme.com don't know if they still do it or not.

The subdivisions are based on haplotypes I believe which is somewhat of an actual distinguishing way of grouping DNA. So "Brittish and Irish" for example may seem dumb but I'm pretty sure they just list the regions strongly associated with said haplotypes since most people don't know or care what the more specific haplotype names are.

Thats pretty cool, Id be very interested in finding out my own. I have ancestors from all over the place. Including a grandmother born and raised in Jamaica (tho obviously not indigenous or african, I realize it wouldnt show up on the map most likely).

Howd they do it, did you just send in a cheek swab? And what did they charge you for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Thats pretty cool, Id be very interested in finding out my own. I have ancestors from all over the place. Including a grandmother born and raised in Jamaica (tho obviously not indigenous or african, I realize it wouldnt show up on the map most likely).

Howd they do it, did you just send in a cheek swab? And what did they charge you for it?
    Well like I said it was a few years ago so their methods and prices may have changed by now but I paid $100 and they shipped me a package in the mail with a sterile kid with a spit tube. I was instructed how to then spit in said tube and seal it up with minimal risk of contamination with other genetic material (for example, I remember they said I should not eat fresh fruit or something like 10 minutes prior). But then I sealed up the spit tube and put on the return label they sent me and a few weeks later my DNA profile was made.

NBA Legend

Well like I said it was a few years ago so their methods and prices may have changed by now but I paid $100 and they shipped me a package in the mail with a sterile kid with a spit tube. I was instructed how to then spit in said tube and seal it up with minimal risk of contamination with other genetic material (for example, I remember they said I should not eat fresh fruit or something like 10 minutes prior). But then I sealed up the spit tube and put on the return label they sent me and a few weeks later my DNA profile was made.

Interesting. Gonna have to look into it.

DNA composition:

What I look like:

Not religious.
    Any more European and you'd be full blown Neanderthal

Explains why you're a weird dude though.

After I had my DNA results showing 67% European, 31% Native American and 2% African, I did some researching of my own and found out I have Celtic and Visigoth ancestry by way of my Iberian family tree as well as some Italian (probably by way of when Spain was Hispania and part of the Roman Empire). On my native side, I determined I most likely am related to the northern uto-Aztecan tribes, my best guess is Comanche because of my grandpa on my dad's side. Lastly, my African DNA is Northern African (not Sub Saharan ), probably by way of the Moorish conquest of the Iberian peninsula (doing my best Sherlock Holmes impression).

In other words, I'm a mutt with ancestral ties to Spain, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Algeria and Comanche peoples

So racially I'm white and Native American, nationality Mexican and non practising Catholic...so I guess I'm Black.
    Last edited by TheMan; 11-24-2015 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Any more European and you'd be full blown Neanderthal

Explains why you're a weird dude though.

After I had my DNA results showed 67% European, 21% Native American and 2% African, I did some researching of my own and found out I have Celtic and Visigoth ancestry by way of my Iberian family tree as well as some Italian (probably by way of when Spain was Hispania and part of the Roman Empire). On my native side, I determined I most likely am related to the northern uto-Aztecan tribes, my best guess is Comanche because of my grandpa on my dad's side. Lastly, my African DNA is Northern African (not Sub Saharan ), probably by way of the Moorish conquest of the Iberian peninsula (doing my best Sherlock Holmes impression).

In other words, I'm a mutt with ties to Spain, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Algeria and Comanche peoples

So racially I'm white and Native American, nationality Mexican and non practising Catholic...so I guess I'm Black.
    I know you're joking with the neanderthal comment but oddly enough it was very very low for a European, 2.4%, which is only 9th percentile among Europeans, and 15th among all users (91% of Europeans have more neanderthal DNA than me, 85% of everyone else). You might be more neanderthal than me, what percent did you get?
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 11-24-2015 at 04:51 AM.

I know you're joking with the neanderthal comment but oddly enough it was very very low for a European, 2.4%, which is only 9th percentile among Europeans, and 15th among all users (91% of Europeans have more neanderthal DNA than me, 85% of everyone else). You might be more neanderthal than me, what percent did you get?
    **** off, I ain't telling you

Nah, it was 3.5%, which thoroughly disgusted me that a few of my female ancestors banged them cavemen, SMH
    Last edited by TheMan; 11-24-2015 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    **** off, I ain't telling you

Nah, it was 3.5%, which thoroughly disgusted me that a few of my female ancestors banged them cavemen, SMH
    Everyone who's not sub-Saharan African is something between 2 and 5% so that's normal lol

Roll with it, Neanderthals were powerful and had bigger brains than Homo Sapiens

Race: White
    Ethnicity: European mutt (Portuguese, French, Polish)
    Religion: Catholic (very much lapsed)