Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default 91/92 Clyde Drexler or 08/09 Kobe Bryant?

Which player would you choose for your team?

Regular season stats:

Kobe (age 30)

26.3 PPG 4.9 APG 5.2 PPG 1.5 SPG 0. 5 BPG 2.6 TPG 467% FG 351% 3P

Clyde age (29/30)

25.0 PPG 6.7 APG 6.6 RPG 1.8 SPG 0.8 BPG 3.2 TPG 47% FG 337% 3P

Playoffs

Kobe

30.2 PPG 5. 6 APG 5.7 RPG 457% FG 34% 3P

Clyde

26.3 PPG 7.4 APG 7.0 RPG 466% FG 23% 3P

So Kobe scored a little bit more then Clyde, but Clyde had a slightly better FG%. Kobe is probably the better shooter at the time ( see 3P%) but Clyde certainly was much more athlethic and hence got more easy points. Don't forget that the rules were a lot harder for SG back then.

Clyde certainly was a better playmaker then Kobe which the APG show pretty clearly too.
    In rebounding Clyde was doubtlessly superior to Kobe.
    This is not only true for those particular years, but for their careers as a whole. Clyde most defintely was better in passing and rebounding.

Clyde also has the advantage in steals and blocks over Kobe. Not only becuase of his superor athlethics, Clyde in 92 was a better defender then Kobe in 08. not really debatable.

So all in all the numbers quiet clearly favor Clyde and i think when you actually watch the games most people would agree that Clyde wins this one.

Another reason why i would pick Clyde of course is his more sepctular way of playing.
    Clyde in 92 was still a real highflyer and "Air Jordan" type of Player. Kobe in 08 was already more like a "Floor Jordan" type of player. Settling more for jumoers then driving to the hoop.

Default Re: 91/92 Clyde Drexler or 08/09 Kobe Bryant?

i don't get it.
    you thread title asked a question and yet your post content makes it seem that your already made up your mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by john_d
    i don't get it.
    you thread title asked a question and yet your post content makes it seem that your already made up your mind.
    Of course i 've. To some extend.
    Nevertheless i want to know your guys opinion.

Decent college freshman

bryant

even if kobe is one of the most amazing scorer when he hits a rush, i pick Drexler, he is a more intelligent and complete player. he has this rare faculty to make his teammates around better. his battle against Bird whas memorable to me.
    top 3 SG for me.
    i'm happy to have the game when he dunked near from the FT line against the lakers.

Based on those numbers. (And considering things like hand checking) I would have to go with Drexler.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by necya
    even if kobe is one of the most amazing scorer when he hits a rush, i pick Drexler, he is a more intelligent and complete player. he has this rare faculty to make his teammates around better. his battle against Bird whas memorable to me.
    top 3 SG for me.
    i'm happy to have the game when he dunked near from the FT line against the lakers.
    As much as i love Clyde, this dunk is a little overrated
    In the replay it looks like he jumoped way further then he actually did.
    It's a cool dunk. It's from far behind. But near the foul line? Well, not really.
    Pause it at 0:44.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO9N_IBU4wo
    Last edited by beermonsteroo; 08-30-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Local High School Star crosso√er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by necya
    top 3 SG for me.
    You're claiming Drexler is a better player career wise or just comparing those particular years?

Statistical inferences are meaningless when comparing years from completely different eras; unless you're considering pace (of the game) into your deliberation.

92': Two teams scored below 100 PPG; League average was 47.3%
    08': Seventeen teams scored below 100 PPG; League average was 45.9%

Back in 1992 the rules allowed for a faster game, translating into higher offensive numbers. I'm not talking about PPG here either, I'm talking about the entire picture. You comparing their numbers as some sort of reasoning is rather skewed and misleading.

Banned

[Back in 1992 the rules allowed for a faster game, translating into higher offensive numbers. I'm not talking about PPG here either, I'm talking about the entire picture. You comparing their numbers as some sort of reasoning is rather skewed and misleading.[/QUOTE]

What rules allowed a faster game?

Quote Originally Posted by crosso√er
    You're claiming Drexler is a better player career wise or just comparing those particular years?

Statistical inferences are meaningless when comparing years from completely different eras; unless you're considering pace (of the game) into your deliberation.

92': Two teams scored below 100 PPG; League average was 47.3%
    08': Seventeen teams scored below 100 PPG; League average was 45.9%

Back in 1992 the rules allowed for a faster game, translating into higher offensive numbers. I'm not talking about PPG here either, I'm talking about the entire picture. You comparing their numbers as some sort of reasoning is rather skewed and misleading.
    Can you do me a favor and look up the averages for position? Because you also have to consider that the league had a lot of good offensive Centers back then which surely rose the league average. I do know that the Lakers 106.9 ppg when Kobe was 30, and the Blazers averaged 111.4ppg. That's a 4.5ppg difference that has to be divided up by the 5 starters and the bench players. So I think the stats are still very comparable.

The OP should have just said Clyde > Kobe

a LAKER & a DODGER fan Lakerlove420's Avatar

Clyde was pretty smooth .. but I pick Kobe ...

Kobe... duh.

Local High School Star crosso√er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Can you do me a favor and look up the averages for position? Because you also have to consider that the league had a lot of good offensive Centers back then which surely rose the league average. I do know that the Lakers 106.9 ppg when Kobe was 30, and the Blazers averaged 111.4ppg. That's a 4.5ppg difference that has to be divided up by the 5 starters and the bench players. So I think the stats are still very comparable.
    You're comparing apples with oranges; what does comparing two teams from different eras prove? I did some research and found out that in 92' two teams per game averaged almost ten more possessions then teams in 2010 did.

One of the main reasons the pace has slowed visibly in the last half decade is primarily because of zone defense; that is why Stern was hesitant to institute this rule to begin with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crosso√er
    You're comparing apples with oranges; what does comparing two teams from different eras prove? I did some research and found out that in 92' two teams per game averaged almost ten more possessions then teams in 2010 did.

One of the main reasons the pace has slowed visibly in the last half decade is primarily because of zone defense; that is why Stern was hesitant to institute this rule to begin with.
    The pace of the game was already going down way before zone was introduced.