Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Default Re: Buck Williams appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by 3243
    He and Cleveland's Lonnie Shelton (another noted NBA tough guy) must have had some personal beef in the early '80s, because they had at least one fight every time they played each other--in February 1984, they had one that went into the stands and both got suspended for it, back when the league rarely suspended players for fighting.

Williams and Rick Mahorn also went at it a couple of times.

thanks..never knew that..

Buck was always highly respected by the media and fans, and if a player is respected.....this type of stuff never gets brought up

Derrick Coleman, who the media hated..was called a thug every chance they had..even though the only fistfight I can think of involving him was at Syracuse

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    thanks..never knew that..

Buck was always highly respected by the media and fans, and if a player is respected.....this type of stuff never gets brought up

I don't know just what it was between himself and Shelton (it could have just been that both were highly competitive), only that they had a series of fights.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3243
    I don't know just what it was between himself and Shelton (it could have just been that both were highly competitive), only that they had a series of fights.

yeah it's true they had two fights in 83-84 season

here is a article about the second fight

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4906,2741655

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

an interesting incident involving Shelton

A tough, tough guy who once chased New Jersey's Buck Williams into the stands to fight. He went to dinner in downtown Cleveland with his girlfriend, and a guy with a gun tried to rob them as they left. Shelton grabbed the gun, hit the guy in the head with a rock and sat on him until the police arrived, lecturing him the whole time to change his ways.