Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default Jerry West, "There are a lot of lousy players in the league today".

He goes on to say many of the players in the NBA today couldn't play in the league when he played.

"When I played, you couldn't palm the ball, and walk all over the court"

"These days, they have the 2-step rule, which is really the 3-step rule"

"It's Entertainment these days, I understand"

Jerry just put a serious beatdown on the NBA.

Default Re: Jerry West, "There are a lot of lousy players in the league today".

Well, sh*t.....he aint lying.

Fatal: "Jerry West is garbage"

Banned

the logo spittin fire

Certified ISHiot.

Link?

Anyways, assuming it's legit, he simply sounds mad that his Lakers scoring record was just bested by Kobe.

Decent college freshman

"These days, they have the 2-step rule, which is really the 3-step rule"
    No kidding..

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    Link?

Anyways, assuming it's legit, he simply sounds mad that his Lakers scoring record was just bested by Kobe.

They just interviewed him on NBATV.

I tried to get the quotes as close as possible... but he definately sound bitter. He kept complimenting Kobe, and then taking a swipes at the NBA.

Wow. People on a forum say the same thing, they are stupid. West says the same thing, he's a genius.

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    They just interviewed him on NBATV.
    Oh, I see. Hopefully someone will put this on youtube, I'd like to see it.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

It never fails to amaze me just how bitter and insecure all past players tend to be about the current state of the league.

The sad thing is I bet Jerry West thought the EXACT same thing even 20 years ago. Why? Because he was no longer playing. To every retired fool the league automatically becomes worse once they're no longer a part of it. It's bitterness and insecurity, nothing more. I read Wilt's A View from Above a few months ago(released in '91) and he completely trashed the state of the game too. Yep, he trashed what's considered the golden age of the NBA by most. He went into this long rant about how much superior 60's ball was to 80's ball. It was unbelievable and sadly, I bet the majority of the players from his era agreed with him.
    Last edited by Indian guy; 02-02-2010 at 12:18 AM.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
    Fatal: "Jerry West is garbage"
    Jerry West is one of my favorite legends

he's right. current crop of players make basketball unwatchable, not because they are less talented or skilled, but how they play ball. the face of the league right now is a guy who should be averaging 10 TOs a game if refs had the balls to call traveling on him. not sure how much longer I'll be watching NBA, right now it's only 4th quarters of select games and the playoffs. but nice to know I'm on your mind bruh.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    not because they are less talented or skilled, but how they play ball.
    Perhaps the wisest words you have ever spoken on these boards.

He's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy

It never fails amaze me just how bitter and insecure all past players tend to be about the current state of the league.
    Looking at the league today, wouldn't you? Guys put in half the work and get ten times the money. Players in the 50's and 60's sometimes had off season jobs. They weren't spoiled millionaires who had all the comforts and luxury these guys have. And to top it all off, as I said, they aren't as fundamentally sound on average. I'd be pissed too if I were Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy

It never fails amaze me just how bitter and insecure all past players tend to be about the current state of the league.
    WTF? Could it possibly be that with all that they've seen, they may I don't know be RIGHT? Your assumption is that all older players must just be bitter, and that's a garbage assumption. They may just be pointing out what they're observing based on years of playing (and following) the sport. Not only was West a great player, but also a great GM so I'd say he knows a thing or two about evaluating talent.

It's like are people who lament that today's hiphop doesn't compare to the 80s and 90s just "are bitter too? Despite the fact that I've seen lots of people in their teens/early twenties who feel the same way?

Sure it's possible for older people to suffer from "Why back in my day" itis, but to automatically assume that's the case and ignore any argument regardless of merit is silly.