Banned

Default Better program? - Michigan or Michigan State

All-time who has been the better program, and who'll be the better program for years to come?

Russel Wilson = GOAT Johnny Jones's Avatar

Default Re: Better program? - Michigan or Michigan State

Michigan. For both questions.

Who has more national titles? MSU

Who has been the better program in your time watching college ball? First concise memories of watching cbb was the year UConn won it all in '99. MSU has been a billion times better in that time period.

Future? Michigan has a bright future but until Izzo leaves I'm not gonna be convinced Michigan has anything on MSU other than higher recruiting rankings.

Judge for yourself.

MSU - 2 championships
    U of M - 1 championship

MSU - 8 Final Fours
    U of M - 7* (5) Final Fours

MSU - 17 Sweet 16s
    U of M - 12 Sweet 16s

MSU - 3 Big Ten Tournament Championships
    U of M - 1* (0) Big Ten Tournament Championships

MSU - 13 Big Ten Regular Season Championships
    U of M - 13 Big Ten Regular Season Championships

MSU - 38 NBA players; most notably: Magic, Z-Bo, Steve Smith, Kevin Willis, Jason Richardson
    U of M - 41 NBA players; most notably: Webber, Rice, Tomjanovich, Crawford, Rose

Notable MSU college players: Johnny Green, Magic Johnson, Scott Skiles, Shawn Respert, Mateen Cleaves
    Notable U of M college players: Chris Webber, Bill Buntin, Rudy Tomjanovich, Glen Rice, Cazzie Russell

MSU has Magic, Cleaves, and Izzo.
    U of M has the Fab 5, Russell, and Strack.

In terms of recent history (say, the last decade), I'm willing to bet MSU by a good deal. Not going to check.

In terms of recruiting, not sure either. Izzo seemed to be on a big roll lately, but his last class is weak and I know for a fact that he was aiming for a huge 2014 class (Jones, Alexander, etc) and it's not materializing at all. It's crazy how he could spend so much time on those prospects and he might not land a single one. Not sure what happened in 2013, there might be a good reason for that. The 2014 one I was talking to an assistant coach at an AAU tournament and that came up. Don't really come across Michigan recruiting other than Booker and McGary. Although I noticed someone on their staff has this uncanny ability to find a low ranked PG that dominates in college early in their career.

Not a fan of either program so I could be off on the players and recruiting. The other stuff I stole right off wikipedia.

A fan of neither.

Michigan State and it's not really that close.

how is this even an argument? MSU.

Banned

It's closer than you think.

Growing up in Michigan before moving to Minnesota, MSU and Michigan are pretty close overall In terms of looking at their programs from a historical point. Looking long-term, I have to give the edge to the Spartans.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    In terms of recruiting, not sure either. Izzo seemed to be on a big roll lately, but his last class is weak and I know for a fact that he was aiming for a huge 2014 class (Jones, Alexander, etc) and it's not materializing at all. It's crazy how he could spend so much time on those prospects and he might not land a single one. Not sure what happened in 2013, there might be a good reason for that. The 2014 one I was talking to an assistant coach at an AAU tournament and that came up. Don't really come across Michigan recruiting other than Booker and McGary. Although I noticed someone on their staff has this uncanny ability to find a low ranked PG that dominates in college early in their career.
    are you involved in basketball professionally? or are you just a fan of HS ball?

just curious

Fan.

I try to make it to the tournaments around me as much as possible. It's a great way to see future NBA talent, UNC recruits (for me), and people there are extremely talkative. The coaches, the scouts, parents... They all talk, some without a filter.

You also tend to see the same people at every tournament. I've made some good friends at this events and it's nice to put a voice/face on the rankings everyone follows (Formerly Dave Telep for Scout then ESPN and Brick Oettinger for the Poop Sheet, Evan Daniels for Scout, Eric Bossi for Rivals). Nice people.

Would recommend anyone to go if you enjoy watching hoops all day.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Fan.

I try to make it to the tournaments around me as much as possible. It's a great way to see future NBA talent, UNC recruits (for me), and people there are extremely talkative. The coaches, the scouts, parents... They all talk, some without a filter.

You also tend to see the same people at every tournament. I've made some good friends at this events and it's nice to put a voice/face on the rankings everyone follows (Formerly Dave Telep for Scout then ESPN and Brick Oettinger for the Poop Sheet, Evan Daniels for Scout, Eric Bossi for Rivals). Nice people.

Would recommend anyone to go if you enjoy watching hoops all day.
    you know them?? damn...that's the who's who on the amateur circuit

Michigan is no joke but the clear answer is Michigan State.

Learning to shoot layups parkespapa's Avatar

dumb question

Michigan State