Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Top 5 NCAA basketball teams of all time..

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    You bring-up two games and expect me to take you seriously? I'm not going to go through the trouble (right now) but I'm guessing if I went and looked up the scores from those UCLA tournament runs, I could find some single digit wins against no-name, far inferior teams, and try and make a point too. But it'd be pretty damn ignorant of me.

You mean at a time when the ACC was loaded and very top heavy, and only one team from the conference made the NCAA Tournament? Yeah....what a shame.

No, this is one of the weakest eras in college basketball history. I just think it's hilarious that you think 7 or 8 of the 10 best teams EVER all came one right after the other in an 8 year window.

I'm not even sure if I should address this since it's unbelievably ignorant, but why not...

Can't dribble or shoot? I mean what in the f**k does that even have to do with anything? He was a frontcourt player, so why did he need to be able to shoot and dribble at a high level? I mean I could list all the records he broke, but that would pointless, because it's obvious you have no clue what you're talking about here.

I think you repeated yourself and said basically the same thing 3 or 4 times in that one post alone. I don't know who it's directed at, but I don't think myself or Burgz have said anything about teams specifically from the last 5-10 years.

I respect your knowledge of past eras, but you're hands down one of the worst and most infuriating posters on here because you aren't even a little bit open-minded.
    Look, the topic was about the greatest college teams of all-time. I gave you a list of teams, the bulk of which played from '67 thru '74, that were the most dominant in colleg basketball history.

The numbers don't lie. The worst teams of the lot went 29-1, 29-1, and 30-1 (although I did give honorable mention to UCLA's 73-74 team, which could "only" go 26-4, and didn't win a title.) They were crushing teams by 20+ ppg, too.

And how often have you seen a regular season matchup like the '67-68 Houston Cougars and UCLA Bruins? Or the '73-74 NC St. Wolfpack and UCLA Bruins? Or the '73-74 Irish and Bruins...who had TWO regular season battles? All of those epic matchups were considered monumental at the time.

And I didn't list the 70-71 Bruins, who "only" went 28-2, and struggled thru the NCAA tourney, either. But even that was fascinating for the "ACC argument." The USC Trojans, with Paul Westphal and Mo Layton, put up a 24-2 record that season, and failed to make the NCAA tourney. Why? Because, their two losses were conference losses against... UCLA.

BTW, I always thought the ACC post-season tournament was ridiculous, but even so, there were times when Carolina was losing to teams with a 12-15 record.

If you want me to list my greatest baseball teams of all-time, I would have teams as far back as the '27 Yanks, and as recent as the '98 Yanks (and even "losers" like the '53 Dodgers, and '01 Mariners.) Incidently, the Yankee teams from '36 thur '39 were phenomenal BTW. Pro Football? The '62 Packers, the '66 Packers, the '72 and '73 Dolphins, the '78 Steelers, the '84 Niners, the '85 Bears, '91 Skins, '99 Rams, etc., a well as "losers" like the '68 and '69 Raiders, the '01 Rams, and the '07 Pats. College Football? As far back as the '66 Irish, '71 Huskers (and Sooners), '72 Trojans, '84 Huskers (aother team that lost it's last game), '95 Huskers, '96 Florida, '01 Miami, '04 USC, and '05 Texas. NBA? '67 Sixers, '71 Bucks, '72 Lakers, '80 Lakers, '83 Sixers, '85 Lakers, '86 Celts, '87 Lakers, '91 Bulls, '96 and '97 Bulls, '00 and '01 Lakers, and the '08 Celts.

But, in college basketball, the absolute most dominant teams played in a span of eight seasons. True, there were other "great" college basketball teams, and I acknowledged them. Such as the '82 Tar Heels, and the '90 and '91 Running Rebs. But it is very difficult to argue with Bruin teams that were putting up 47, and 88 game winning streaks. Or a Wolfpack team that went 57-1 over the course of two straight seasons, and knocked off the defending champion Bruins for a title. Hell, I didn't bring up the 63-64 and 64-65 Bruins on my list, despite going 58-2 and winning two straight titles. Or the '70 and '71 Bruins who went 57-3 and won two titles. Why? Because those teams were just not nearly as dominant as the '67, '68, '69, '72 and '73 Bruins teams.

As for "the two games" argument...you obviously didn't read my entire take on Dean Smith's career. He lost far more than "two games." He had loaded teams that lost to panzies. No one is debating his career achievements of assembling a plethora of talent nearly every season he coached at NC, nor the fact that he did manage to win two championships. But, his overall record, with rosters that rivaled the best Wooden had to offer, pales in comparison to Wooden's.

Once again, of all of the many staggering achievements that Wooden accomplished, his 38-1 NCAA tourney record from '64 thru his last game in '75, is just unfathomable (and that one loss was a double OT loss BTW.) And most of those 38 tournament wins were romps.

And keep in mind that Wooden's 10 titles in 12 years (and it surely would have been 11 in 12 had freshmen been allowed to play back then), came in an era where a team had to win it's conference; there was no shot-clock; and no 3pt shot to aid in comebacks. Contrast that with the "later years" in which you guys claim was "more competitive" but where a SIXTH place conference team could go on to win a National Championship. And here again, when Wooden was coaching, a conference loss was damn near the equivalent of a tournament loss (just ask the '71 USC Trojans.)

You can claim "more competitive" all you want, but 25-10 National Championship teams is what we have had since the expansion of the tournament. And, as I have mentioned many times...the DILUTION in talent at the college level has been getting considerably worse since the advent of under-classmen jumping ship. That was not the case in the bulk of the Wooden era.

Now, go ahead and post your list of teams, and give me a reason why any of them were greater than those that I presented. I am willing to learn.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 08-08-2013 at 11:50 PM.

I've already listed and mentioned teams back on the 1st or 2nd page. I don't disagree with the notion that those Walton and Kareem/Alcindor UCLA teams wren't some of the best ever. I just disagree with the notion that other teams, 10-20 years later, weren't just as good.

The thing I actually took the most offense to was the ridiculous statement you made about Tyler Hansbrough. Can't dribble or shoot (the latter of which isn't true) like it's some huge knock on a 6'9" frontcourt player who set a niumbers of NCAA, ACC, and UNC records. If you're going to use a recent NPOY to disparage the current/recent state of college basketball, there were plenty of better options.

I've already listed and mentioned teams back on the 1st or 2nd page. I don't disagree with the notion that those Walton and Kareem/Alcindor UCLA teams wren't some of the best ever. I just disagree with the notion that other teams, 10-20 years later, weren't just as good.

The thing I actually took the most offense to was the ridiculous statement you made about Tyler Hansbrough. Can't dribble or shoot (the latter of which isn't true) like it's some huge knock on a 6'9" frontcourt player who set a niumbers of NCAA, ACC, and UNC records. If you're going to use a recent NPOY to disparage the current/recent state of college basketball, there were plenty of better options.
    Maye I am being hardsh with Hansbrough. I will be the first to admit that I watched very little of him in college. In fact, I have seldomed watched any college basketball in the last 20 years. Every once in a while something comes along that piques my interest. For instance, a few years back I kept reading and hearing about a guy named Oden. He was supposedly the next great college player, and a sure-fire professional star.

So I decided to do some research, and this seven foot "beast" (actually, he measured 6-11) was a 16-12 guy in high school. In HIGH SCHOOL. I doubt Wilt or KAJ ever had that BAD of a game in their high school careers. Hell, I gew up a few miles from Bill Cartwright (a true seven-footer), and his high school numbers dwarfed Oden's.

In any case, I watched a few of Oden's college games (of course he was injured), and I didn't see anything special. He did have a very good NCAA Finals, but one game does not a career make. As for his pro career...well, we are still waiting for even one halfway decent season...much less a Kareem-like season.

As I mentioned, I was turned off by college basketball back in the 90's. It has been pretty much, "one-and-done", since then, and even before that, the very best potential greats, were leaving before ever going to college. Tim Duncan was a rare one. And aside from Duncan, probably the last truly great college player I can recall, was Shaq.

Back to Hansbrough. Like I said, I watched very little of him in college. However, I watched most all of this year's Eastern Conference Finals, and I mean it when I say it...Hansbrough looked AWFUL in them. He stumbled around whenever his teammates were dumb enough to pass him the ball, and the result was either a turnover, or a horrible shot that would have made Stevie Wonder look like Steve Kerr. I saw NO skills whatsoever.

Which was my point. For those that can somehow claim that today's college basketbal players are superior to those of 20-30-40- and even 50 years ago...I give you Tyler Hansbrough. I honestly believe that Hansbrough would hve been a benchwarmer, at best, on the Alcindor or Walton teams.

And that brings me back to my original question, which you side-stepped in your last reply. What college teams would you rank over the Bruin teams of '67, '68, '69 '72, and '73? Or the NC St. teams of '73 and '74?

In terms of pure pro talent, the only college team(s) that I can think of that would have given the great Bruin teams a run, would have been the Carolina teams of '82-'84, maybe the Houston teams of '83 and '84, and perhaps the '90 and '91 UNLV Runnin Rebs. But ALL of those teams had losses, and the only chanpions of that group were the '82 Tar Heels, and the '90 Rebels (although I still consider the '91 Rebels among the greatest ever.)

And if you are going strictly by resume...none of the above can really compare with the great Bruin and Wolfpack teams I listed. The one team of that group that COULD have, was the '91 Rebels. They were 34-0 going into the Semis, and with a ppg differential of nearly 30 ppg in those games. Furthermore, they had routed that same Duke team by 30 points in the Finals just the year before. But alas, they were shocked, and finished 34-1 and were not a champion.

So, until someone convines me of otherwise, I stand by take of the top-seven college teams of at least the post-1960 era, all coming from the period between '66-67 thru '73-74. I know it seems absurd on the surface, but the "proof is in the pudding."

NBA rookie of the year

Haven't you learned?

Modern era basketball is way worse compared to old school basketball according to Jlauber.

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Haven't you learned?

Modern era basketball is way worse compared to old school basketball according to Jlauber.
    Nothing could be more true. Thanks for pointing it out. Today's college basketball is a second rate product with second rate talent. Compare that with even the MJ Carolina teams...Jordan, Perkins, Worthy, and later Daughtery. The best college teams of today, using NBA rules, would get destroyed by that group.

Same with the Walton-Wilkes, Marques Johnson-Washington-Meyers teams of the early 70's. Or the Alcindor-Wicks-Rowe-Bibby teams of the late 60's. No contest.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Nothing could be more true. Thanks for pointing it out. Today's college basketball is a second rate product with second rate talent. Compare that with even the MJ Carolina teams...Jordan, Perkins, Worthy, and later Daughtery. The best college teams of today, using NBA rules, would get destroyed by that group.

Same with the Walton-Wilkes, Marques Johnson-Washington-Meyers teams of the early 70's. Or the Alcindor-Wicks-Rowe-Bibby teams of the late 60's. No contest.
    Such a clown.

Where do you think the players from the draft come from?

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Such a clown.

Where do you think the players from the draft come from?
    Ok, give me a list of all of these great college players, and their team records, that played college ball in the last 20 years (basically post-Shaq). And that leaves out Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, and A'Mare Stoudemire...all of whom didn't even bother attending college.

And then we will compare then we will compare them, and their surrounding talent, with the '82-84 Tar Heels, the '73-74 Wolfpack, and the great Bruins teams from '67-69, and '72-'74.

My god...a Houston team with Michael Young, Clyde Drexler, and Hakeem couldn't even beat a 26-10 team in the title game. And a year later they were thumped by a Georgetown team with Patrick Ewing. All of that was 30 years ago...
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 08-12-2013 at 01:44 AM.