Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Aquille Carr Commits To Seton Hall

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    He's an example of what awful the mixtapes scene has done for basketball.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    What?
    Hoopmixtape, YayArea'sFinest, BallisLife, HomeTeamHoops, etc., they make most players seem like beasts, but when they get to college they most often don't end up being as good as advertised, just gets them a lot of hype most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    Hoopmixtape, YayArea'sFinest, BallisLife, HomeTeamHoops, etc., they make most players seem like beasts, but when they get to college they most often don't end up being as good as advertised, just gets them a lot of hype most of the time.
    I know what he's talking about. Aquille Carr is a beast, though. He's was around #60 in ESPN's top 100 seniors last time I checked.

Highlights are highlights, bro. Nothing awful has been done for basketball.

I've seen Aquille play live no less than 10 times now and he's the most exciting player I've ever seen on the high school level.

If only he were taller more people would take note that the skills in the highlight mixes are what you get nearly every game. 2 biggest weaknesses are that he struggles playing off the ball and he gets too at times wild with the ball in his hands like Rafer Alston used to do.

Carr is a good player who is very exciting. He's just not an NBA prospect because of his size. But he definitely has talent.

It's a little more than the perceived hype.

Most of the time it's pub for a high school kid and obviously their mix brand. Whatever.

Sometimes they latch on to particular ones (certainly not unopposingly) and create this pseudo-fame and life. I've been to an actual high school game of his and it was literally like that And1 crap. Some guy on the mic narrating the entire game. Pretty sure he was a pimp--an actual pimp. I can't believe that was actually allowed.

Of course it's created from both sides. Mix people taking advantage of high school kids and not the most well adjusted ones with a terrible support system falling for it.

Considering he's in high school and has a kid with a 27 year old woman. ...A woman he assaulted and was charged. And he couldn't qualify for college... Which really isn't surprising since isn't he the one who considered skipping the rest of high school to play overseas? Might be mistaken.

Anyhow, he probably fits the type.

And I don't mean to get down on the kid. I hope he turns his life around and he is a good basketball player. I just don't see it. He'll be like Robert Swift except without the NBA money.

You sound salty as f[COLOR="Black"]uck.[/COLOR]

What is "psuedo fame"? Kids who get pub from those mixtapes worked hard to get good enough to receive that recognition. A suitor wants to promote a kid in a way that beneffits both parties. What's wrong with that? What is "falling for"? That shit has helped grow his fame tremendously.

That "narrating" is hardly similar to that "And 1 crap". Just an MC basically doing "enhanced" play-by-play, so to speak. He's not out on the court, egging guys on, etc. Not uncommon for premier AAU/summer camp games.

Considering he's in high school and has a kid with a 27 year old woman. ...A woman he assaulted and was charged
    Irrelevant

And he couldn't qualify for college...
    Link?

Which really isn't surprising since isn't he the one who considered skipping the rest of high school to play overseas? Might be mistaken.
    I would too if I were offered $750 K at 16.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I don't care what newpaper or article or whatever you link to, that $750k offer is complete bullshit. Really high caliber proven Euroleague players don't get paid that.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    I don't care what newpaper or article or whatever you link to, that $750k offer is complete bullshit. Really high caliber proven Euroleague players don't get paid that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ege1HUyWiqM

Dude dropped 45 in a game and was immediately offered a contract.
    Last edited by ace23; 03-14-2013 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    It's a little more than the perceived hype.

Most of the time it's pub for a high school kid and obviously their mix brand. Whatever.

Sometimes they latch on to particular ones (certainly not unopposingly) and create this pseudo-fame and life. I've been to an actual high school game of his and it was literally like that And1 crap. Some guy on the mic narrating the entire game. Pretty sure he was a pimp--an actual pimp. I can't believe that was actually allowed.

Of course it's created from both sides. Mix people taking advantage of high school kids and not the most well adjusted ones with a terrible support system falling for it.

Considering he's in high school and has a kid with a 27 year old woman. ...A woman he assaulted and was charged. And he couldn't qualify for college... Which really isn't surprising since isn't he the one who considered skipping the rest of high school to play overseas? Might be mistaken.

Anyhow, he probably fits the type.

And I don't mean to get down on the kid. I hope he turns his life around and he is a good basketball player. I just don't see it. He'll be like Robert Swift except without the NBA money.
    The woman's age actually was falsely reported, I believe it was said she isn't 27 and actually is 22. But still a few years older than him. The case was dropped against him. Aquille was on pace to qualify for school but the chances are he wouldn't get through the NCAA clearinghouse similar to what happened with Ricardo Ledo at Providence this season.

The thing is he's not a bad kid or even a "street kid". He plays with a lot of passion on the floor, comes from Baltimore city, has mixtapes viewed by millions showcasing his best moves, etc but he has a strong family base. The whole assault incident with his girlfriend seems to been way overblown compared to incidents other top HS players have gotten into before they got to college.

But the real reason why he's skipping college is 2 factors:

1. He realizes that after changing school 4 times in the last year that the NCAA wont clear him and the big programs overlooked him partially because of that. If a major program was willing to take him in, I highly doubt he would have a problem sitting out 1 year while only practicing with the team. I dont want to hear excuses about his height when a 5'5 guy like Erving Walker started 2-3 years at a top 10 program like Florida and he isn't nearly as good as Aquille.

2. His pseudo-contract with Under Armour can officially be signed once he turns professional. They've been promoting him for the last 3 years to the point they have specially designed shirts for him, and not only supply his college & AAU teams with gear. If he goes to college and his high school hype disapears then he isn't as valuable to Under Armour anymore as a prospect and possible face of their shoe line. If he reaches the NBA then I'll be damned if he can't sell shoes to kids who see how exciting of a player he is along with the swagger he has and want to wear his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    He got the offer at 16 I believe.

But that was the total value of a longterm contract where likely he would have had to sell them his rights, not a 1 year salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    I've seen Aquille play live no less than 10 times now and he's the most exciting player I've ever seen on the high school level.

If only he were taller more people would take note that the skills in the highlight mixes are what you get nearly every game. 2 biggest weaknesses are that he struggles playing off the ball and he gets too at times wild with the ball in his hands like Rafer Alston used to do.
    Read my earlier comment, he is definitely an exciting player I've never doubted that. I was only commenting on the "mixtape culture" some of the posters were alluding too.

Regardless of how good he is now, he doesn't really project very well to the pro game because of his size. Not sure if he just like to attack but not sure if he has a jumpshot either. At best I see him as a solid backup like an Earl Watson or Earl Boykins on a team that likes to run, which is really where he is most effective.

Read my earlier comment, he is definitely an exciting player I've never doubted that. I was only commenting on the "mixtape culture" some of the posters were alluding too.

Regardless of how good he is now, he doesn't really project very well to the pro game because of his size. Not sure if he just like to attack but not sure if he has a jumpshot either. At best I see him as a solid backup like an Earl Watson or Earl Boykins on a team that likes to run, which is really where he is most effective.
    I understand about the mixtape culture. Thats just how the recruiting world is going.

There is a place in the league for him but at his age and his hype there is no way he understands that he'll never be anything but a 15 MPG player at best in the NBA. Maybe on a terrible team he'd be able to get the exposure that Nate got for NY, but that made his ego bigger and then stalled his career the last 3 seasons when he had his minutes reduced without injuries.

I feel like he's going to go over to Europe, get paid, and barely play or get released quickly for another import due to how unorthodox his game is. He needs a college coach, a former point guard turned coach to reel him in. He's incredible at attacking the basket and has amazing body control doing it but his jumpshot needs work and so does his defense. He loses focus sometimes getting caught up in the passion. Kinda like Nate again

Then what? D-League? That isn't much money when you think about it.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

I thought the title said "Antoine Carr."

I'm getting old