Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: NFL players mad at the Money NBA players are getting

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    What does global popularity have to do with how much players get paid by their league? NFL more than doubles the revenue of the NBA.
    Really?

16 games

theres 50+ people in an nfl roster

only 15 max on an nba one

Banned

The NBA is a players league. You think anybody in the NFL could literally have teams clearing out cap space and bending over their back like LeBron had in 2010?

Supply and demand.

I'd be mad too if I were in the NFL instead of the NBA.

-More likely to get injured and not get paid at all
    -Going to probably have a shorter career on average
    -Won't even be making as much money when I'm actually playing

It's simple.

Roster size...

And...

16 games

And 1 game playoff rounds...

NEXT!

If you're an athlete, the NBA has probably got to be the Holy Grail of getting rich. Even if you're mediocre, but you can contribute, you'll be a millionaire many times over. I believe that NBA players are also among the most marketed athletes in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    If you're an athlete, the NBA has probably got to be the Holy Grail of getting rich. Even if you're mediocre, but you can contribute, you'll be a millionaire many times over. I believe that NBA players are also among the most marketed athletes in the world.
    MLB, soccer >>>>>>>>>

mlb players spend a sizable chunk of the game either sitting in the dugout or standing on the field waiting for a hit to come their way (and they catch them at the same rate as NBA guys make wide open layups). At bat, it's statistically expected that you'll miss a lot more than you hit, so unless it's deep in the playoffs, there's not much pressure to individually go out there and carry the team on your back. If you're a pitcher, then you get days and innings off. If you're in the AL, then you can be a fatass DH and still be revered as baseball jesus for the occasional big hit. And if you're good for a few years, enjoy your $200 million contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    Nah, MLB had that best by a mile. Not only are contracts 100 percent guaranteed, but even if you get caught with roids you still get all that money.

These morons whining about their physical gifts now? I have seen it all now

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Really?
    Yes, really.

People outside the USA have an incredibly strange relationship with American football that borders on anger. Whether it is because the sport is -- by far -- the most popular in the United States or because they don't like/understand the game, I find it to be a pretty weird phenomena.

I have no problem with the fact that football or futbol or soccer or whatever you want to call it is so popular globally. Hell, I find the game fascinating when I'm interested enough to watch.

Rugby? Have at it, guys. It looks like a fun game, although I know nothing about it.

American football? Just bringing it up usually results in angry Europeans dismissing the sport, its (incredible) popularity in the United States and just basically getting disgusted for reasons unknown.

I'd hate to think that all of this anger, annoyance and dismissiveness is related to the fact that the sport is called "football," but I can't help but notice it is always brought up as a point of contention. Who gives a flying f#ck what the sport calls itself?

The US has created and cultivated some of the best sports of the modern world. A lot of people outside the US seem unwilling to even give American football a chance. It's a great game based mainly on strategy... basically a chess game being played at 100mph at each snap. When you understand why the huddles are so crucial and what each of the 22 players on the field are supposed to be doing and the beauty of when it goes right... it's an incredible game.

It is nothing like futbol or rugby or any other game it is compared to, so it requires being watched differently. If you don't like it, fine... but the guys who play it and its enormous power as THE current American pastime deserves more respect than it gets when you cross the US border.

/rant

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Yes, really.

People outside the USA have an incredibly strange relationship with American football that borders on anger. Whether it is because the sport is -- by far -- the most popular in the United States or because they don't like/understand the game, I find it to be a pretty weird phenomena.

I have no problem with the fact that football or futbol or soccer or whatever you want to call it is so popular globally. Hell, I find the game fascinating when I'm interested enough to watch.

Rugby? Have at it, guys. It looks like a fun game, although I know nothing about it.

American football? Just bringing it up usually results in angry Europeans dismissing the sport, its (incredible) popularity in the United States and just basically getting disgusted for reasons unknown.

I'd hate to think that all of this anger, annoyance and dismissiveness is related to the fact that the sport is called "football," but I can't help but notice it is always brought up as a point of contention. Who gives a flying f#ck what the sport calls itself?

The US has created and cultivated some of the best sports of the modern world. A lot of people outside the US seem unwilling to even give American football a chance. It's a great game based mainly on strategy... basically a chess game being played at 100mph at each snap. When you understand why the huddles are so crucial and what each of the 22 players on the field are supposed to be doing and the beauty of when it goes right... it's an incredible game.

It is nothing like futbol or rugby or any other game it is compared to, so it requires being watched differently. If you don't like it, fine... but the guys who play it and its enormous power as THE current American pastime deserves more respect than it gets when you cross the US border.

/rant
    Just because idiots are vocal about it doesn't mean it's true for everyone, Eurosport channel has been broadcasting college football for years now. I ****ing hate rygby, it's crude and boring as ****, even those non-Americans who keep bashing American football using rygby hate that shit.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    The NFL was the better model. 100% guaranteed contracts are dumb.
    The NBA does not have all 100% guaranteed contracts, and there is nothing in the CBA which forces any team to guarantee them. When players get guaranteed contracts, it's because the team wanted it that way.

NBA rookie of the year

NFL players should get paid more, but they should also stop caving to owners demands in every CBA.