Default Playing some defense: Most consecutive games with either a steal or blocked shot

Does anyone know of any more impressive runs than these? I'm pretty sure these are the two longest, and no one else has gotten close.

499 games - Hakeem Olajuwon, March 3, 1989-December 30, 1995
    316 games - Michael Jordan, March 15, 1988-February 15, 1992

I checked some good guesses like David Robinson and Scottie Pippen, as well.
    Last edited by 72-10; 03-24-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Default Re: Playing some defense: Most consecutive games with either a steal or blocked shot

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    Does anyone know of any more impressive runs than these? I'm pretty sure these are the two longest, and no one else has gotten close.

499 games - Hakeem Olajuwon, March 3, 1989-December 30, 1995
    316 games - Michael Jordan, March 15, 1988-February 15, 1992

I checked some good guesses like David Robinson and Scottie Pippen, as well.

Those mechanics never knew what hit'm

STOLE ON EM

Default Re: Playing some defense: Most consecutive games with either a steal or blocked shot

Chris Paul has the longest streak of games with At Least 1 steal I believe. It isn't quite what you're asking but I wonder who has the longest streak with At Least a block.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    Chris Paul has the longest streak of games with At Least 1 steal I believe. It isn't quite what you're asking but I wonder who has the longest streak with At Least a block.
    Chris Paul deserves more respect for his defense. Barely six feet tall and he's consistently been one of the best defensive guards in the league during his entire career. That's why I always laugh when idiots make excuses about size for players. Chris Paul shits on that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Chris Paul deserves more respect for his defense. Barely six feet tall and he's consistently been one of the best defensive guards in the league during his entire career. That's why I always laugh when idiots make excuses about size for players. Chris Paul shits on that theory.
    That's true and Chris Paul is/was an amazing defensive player but he's an anomaly. I think people talk in general sense when they say that undersized players are defensively poor, because - on the whole - it's generally true. Smaller players can be posted up more easily as they give up a weight advantage, and have more trouble blocking or deflecting shots as they age.

In that sense, Chris Paul does deserve a lot of credit. He was an incredible defender one pite of his relatively diminutive stature.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    That's true and Chris Paul is/was an amazing defensive player but he's an anomaly. I think people talk in general sense when they say that undersized players are defensively poor, because - on the whole - it's generally true. Smaller players can be posted up more easily as they give up a weight advantage, and have more trouble blocking or deflecting shots as they age.

In that sense, Chris Paul does deserve a lot of credit. He was an incredible defender one pite of his relatively diminutive stature.
    Was? He still is. He's 4th in drpm for pg's this season and the three guys above him don't even play more than 27mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    There are exceptions, not rules.

Allen Iverson was a steals leader too, do you want him anchoring your defense?

I had checked this stat myself a few years ago and don't remember any streaks very close to these 2, but this only included the mid 80's-onwards period.

I'm pretty sure Julius Erving had a few impressive streaks, but bbr doesn't include all his seasons and, once in a while, there were a couple of these annoying games where a superstar gets injured after only, say, 5-10 minutes of play, and this screws up his streaks. He does have an 81+ game playoff streak, which is higher than any of Jordan's streaks. He probably had 0+0 only in 1 game from 1980 and on. Hakeem's is an incredible 144/145, with the only 0+0, ironically, coming in his last game.