Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Default Wally Szczerbiak: "I've never seen someone move like that or jump that high"

Talking about Zion Williamson

- reminder, he's a former teammate of young athletic peak LeBron and doesn't even feel he's worth mentioning when talking about the athleticism of Zion

Zion

Default Re: Wally Szczerbiak: "I've never seen someone move like that or jump that high"

He's right. We've never seen someone his size jump THAT high and move that quickly. It's special

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Wally Szczerbiak: "I've never seen someone move like that or jump that high"

If I see Zion pulling up for jumpers with comfortable footwork, I'll jump on the bandwagon

But right now, he doesn't even have the footwork or moves to pull-up for jumpers

He's a bully-ball player without the soft hands and touch around the rim that Barkley had

Not sold on him, although I think he'll be as good as Blake Griffin, which is still pretty good

"I've never seen someone move like that or jump that high" - anyone that's seen Zion play

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    If I see Zion pulling up for jumpers with comfortable footwork, I'll jump on the bandwagon

But right now, he doesn't even have the footwork or moves to pull-up for jumpers

He's a bully-ball player without the soft hands and touch around the rim that Barkley had

Not sold on him, although I think he'll be as good as Blake Griffin, which is still pretty good
    Shaq, Hakeem, Magic, etc didn't have to shoot jumpers nor did half ATG top 10 players

Zion doesn't have to rely on menial things that undersized shooting guards in the 90's relished on.

It must hurt MJ fans that no young guys want to 'play like mike', but emulating MJ's game in this era doesn't work (see DeRozan)

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    Shaq, Hakeem, Magic, etc didn't have to shoot jumpers nor did half ATG top 10 players

Zion doesn't have to rely on menial things that undersized shooting guards in the 90's relished on.

It must hurt MJ fans that no young guys want to 'play like mike', but emulating MJ's game in this era doesn't work (see DeRozan)
    Wait, MJ remains GOAT over all those guys that didn't have to shoot jumpers?

Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by egokiller
    yikes!

If Zion was 22, would you be impressed with him? Would he have a bunch of hype like he does now?

I doubt it.. his skills wouldn't warrant it

He's a great athlete though, so Blake Griffin is still pretty good.. and I'm giving Zion the benefit of the doubt because Blake is taller, better handle, better jumper

most of Zion's points in the half court come off postups where the defender is FRONTING - Zion just catches the ball and goes up - he doesn't have to make a move - that won't work in the league...

We'll see if he can develop that J or not because he'll need it.. he ain't bullying the likes of Horford or Steven adams, etc

Zion has a much better J right now than Jordan had in college, better footwork in the post too

It'll be interesting to see how much better it develops (unlike MJ who never developed range outside 15 feet)

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Hemmingway
    Zion has a much better J right now than Jordan had in college, better footwork in the post too

It'll be interesting to see how much better it develops (unlike MJ who never developed range outside 15 feet)
    He doesn't have even close to the same J as Jordan if you're talking about a pull up off the dribble

He might have a similar one if you mean in spot up - I'm actually impressed with what I have seen so far tonight when he's left open. But that's just it, he's catching it, standing still, left open. That's not the same thing as what MJ was doing which was pulling up even back in college. He didn't have range doing that, but he still was doing it - unlike Zion at the moment. Not that Zion can't get it though, he's still only what, 18, 19?

What he said was ridiculous. What he surely meant to say was someone that size jump that high.

There have been countless guys who jumped that high but they were a lot smaller.

I would say a young Barkley's vert would be close though. He wasn't as fast as Zion but his strength and vert were comparable.

yikes!
    Amazing!

Zion is hitting the occasional wide open jumper because he knows he's the best on the court and nobody can f*** with him

I couldn't shoot worth a lick back in the day but I was lights out when playing with guys beneath me because of confidence, relaxed, and playing at the speed I liked

But put some real dudes out there and all of a sudden I was a 10 feet and in player

That's how basketball works

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

Sounds like a Shawn Kemp type, who outplayed MJ in '96 so he must be decent then