Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Vertical

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: My Vertical

I'm 5'10 with a 90inch reach and on a good day I can rap like the first half of my fingers around the rim. So I have like a 32inch vert, but yea this summer I'm doing the jump manual which should get me dunking!

I dunk on 12 year olds

Ok guys i got a question, im 6 foot 4 and im 195 lbs, with my hand i can get around 5- 10 cm above the rim, im 19 year old.
    Is this good, and do you guys have any tips to improve this?

Decent playground baller Sticks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    Ok guys i got a question, im 6 foot 4 and im 195 lbs, with my hand i can get around 5- 10 cm above the rim, im 19 year old.
    Is this good, and do you guys have any tips to improve this?
    Depending on your reach your vertical sounds around the same as mine. Around 30 inches. Which is quite good.

Improvement can come from doing targeted weight lifting, following a jump programm, doing plyometrics or just keep training and training and eventually you'll get there. You're still young so you're bound to improve.

I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks
    Depending on your reach your vertical sounds around the same as mine. Around 30 inches. Which is quite good.

Improvement can come from doing targeted weight lifting, following a jump programm, doing plyometrics or just keep training and training and eventually you'll get there. You're still young so you're bound to improve.
    Well im still training 2 times a week + i do the p90x training programm 4 times a week, it has a plyometrics programm, wich im planning to do 2 days a week more often.
    when the weather gets better, ill be playing outside more. my goal is to start dunking this year

Well im still training 2 times a week + i do the p90x training programm 4 times a week, it has a plyometrics programm, wich im planning to do 2 days a week more often.
    when the weather gets better, ill be playing outside more. my goal is to start dunking this year
    You'll get there then. I didn't get to dunking untill I was a year older then you because I wasn't really focussed on it. It just sort of came to me, ran a fastbreak, took up and want to lay it up and suddenly I realised I was dunking. Couldn't do it anymore for a few weeks after but it came in the flow of training.

I started doing some excercises during that off-season just like I'm planning on doing now. Working out my complete legs with leg pressing and squats. It's more to help me with rebounding then dunking though.

And a last piece of advice, be carefull when doing jumping exercises etc. on the blacktop. You don't want to end up with shin splints or other injuries.

I dunk on 12 year olds

You'll get there then. I didn't get to dunking untill I was a year older then you because I wasn't really focussed on it. It just sort of came to me, ran a fastbreak, took up and want to lay it up and suddenly I realised I was dunking. Couldn't do it anymore for a few weeks after but it came in the flow of training.

I started doing some excercises during that off-season just like I'm planning on doing now. Working out my complete legs with leg pressing and squats. It's more to help me with rebounding then dunking though.

And a last piece of advice, be carefull when doing jumping exercises etc. on the blacktop. You don't want to end up with shin splints or other injuries.
    Ye i hope to make it, but rebouding is a small part of my game, but it should become a big part.
    Because i am the tallest player on my team, getting the rebound should be my thing, my timing and possitioning isnt very well at the moment, but im working on it.

Ye i hope to make it, but rebouding is a small part of my game, but it should become a big part.
    Because i am the tallest player on my team, getting the rebound should be my thing, my timing and possitioning isnt very well at the moment, but im working on it.
    Rebounding drills are the most fun you can have with your team in my opinion.

If you want to practice yourself do some back-board tapping with the ball. It'll help your jumping and timing. And concerning positioning, as long as you box out it's all good.

I dunk on 12 year olds

Rebounding drills are the most fun you can have with your team in my opinion.

If you want to practice yourself do some back-board tapping with the ball. It'll help your jumping and timing. And concerning positioning, as long as you box out it's all good.
    Yeah i know we have some exercises where the coach shoots the ball, and we have to fight for the ball with 3 persons, and everything goes, till 1 person scores the ball, its very nice.

Also if you're the big guy on your team make sure you're working on your 2-legged jump and your dropstep. You're going to be fighting down-low when you come and play with the big-boys.

I dunk on 12 year olds

My post play is nothing to wright home about i prefer to take an oudside shot, but for the sake of my team, i do practise it.
    Haven't worked on a drop step yet that much, more trying to make leaners, and small fade-aways, not so far that i fall with my back on the ground, but far enough so i can shoot over the defender, this is going well.
    My 2 legged jump is very weak, i can prob touch the rim barelly.
    But yeah working on my jumping skills, is a priority for me atm

My post play is nothing to wright home about i prefer to take an oudside shot, but for the sake of my team, i do practise it.
    Haven't worked on a drop step yet that much, more trying to make leaners, and small fade-aways, not so far that i fall with my back on the ground, but far enough so i can shoot over the defender, this is going well.
    My 2 legged jump is very weak, i can prob touch the rim barelly.
    But yeah working on my jumping skills, is a priority for me atm
    You're just going to have to get used to banging down low. I have the advantage of being a shooter a la Ray Allen but I go into the post when I have a smaller guy on me.

That's slightly lower then I get on the rim with 2 legs but it's not that bad. The most important thing will be going up with power. We always have lay-up/power-move lines where the coach is intentionally fouling you on the way to the basket.

[quote]
    And a last piece of advice, be carefull when doing jumping exercises etc. on the blacktop. You don't want to end up with shin splints or other injuries.[quote]

YES. Avoid doing plyos on blacktop. It messed up my knee bigtime. If you do plyos, do them on the grass, a padded surface, or an indoor court. Blacktop and concrete are the worst surfaces you can do them on.

Button and Sticks... a 30 inch vert is average at best. 34-35 is good... and 37+ is fantastic. Both of you need to work on your Leg strength as well. That will really help with your 2 leg jump and standing vert. Good luck to both of you guys. Plyos by themselves only work for people who have natural bounce... you need to get lifting too if you really want to improve.

Learning to shoot layups 5foot6's Avatar

[QUOTE=Swaggin916][quote]

YES. Avoid doing plyos on blacktop. It messed up my knee bigtime. If you do plyos, do them on the grass, a padded surface, or an indoor court. Blacktop and concrete are the worst surfaces you can do them on.

Button and Sticks... a 30 inch vert is average at best. 34-35 is good... and 37+ is fantastic. Both of you need to work on your Leg strength as well. That will really help with your 2 leg jump and standing vert. Good luck to both of you guys. Plyos by themselves only work for people who have natural bounce... you need to get lifting too if you really want to improve.
    does playing basketball on blacktop a lot wear down your knees? someone told me that once. but i play at the park almost everyday, and it hasnt done anything to me.

[QUOTE=5foot6][QUOTE=Swaggin916]

does playing basketball on blacktop a lot wear down your knees? someone told me that once. but i play at the park almost everyday, and it hasn't done anything to me.
    Just wait til you get older. You can do almost anything when your still growing and you'll be fine. However, playing b-ball is not as hardcore as intense plyos though. I could have probably played b-ball twice a week for the hour or so that I did plyos and been totally fine... I would monitor that though. Try to find someplace you can play indoors when you can drive.

Saw a basketball once

Hey swaggin, I need your help man. Could you help me make a workout routine in the weights room? I'm 5'9, 160 pounds and I play college basketball and basically I play point guard. I'm planning to do a VJB program too. Could you help me make a 3x a week workout program? Thanks in advance man!