Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Australain Cricketer Phil Hughes in a critical condition after being struck in a game

I am ****ing shocked. My heart just dropped. Jeez I didn't think this would actually happen.

Default Re: Australain Cricketer Phil Hughes in a critical condition after being struck in a game

Just imagine how Abbott must feel now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    I am ****ing shocked. My heart just dropped. Jeez I didn't think this would actually happen.

Me either. Alan jones said this afternoon he visited and it was worse than reported but until then I was thinking he would wake up but didn't know in what state. Apparently he said the ball ruptured an artery which bled into the brain.
    So sad he was only 25 and on the cusp of possibly another chance in the test squad.

draz it's the first death I know of with a big player in a big league. I believe someone died awhile back in one of the Bangladesh leagues but I think he was hit fielding and continued to pay without medical treatment. Not sure about in earlier eras when helmets weren't worn.

Some people are saying their should be reforms on safety but other than improving helmets which they already do it was a freak accident.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Just imagine how Abbott must feel now.
    I don't know how you ever come back from that the same. It's not his fault in any way but how do you ever bowl the short ball again? He would have been on the moon about making the t20 and odi appearances this summer aswell.

Incredibly sad. As dangerous of a game cricket is, like some of you mentioned, this stuff just never happens in cricket. Extremely shocking.

Phil Hughes was a big reason why I got into cricket in the first place. His two centuries in that match against South Africa was just amazing to watch for such a young player. The whole cricketing world will miss him.

Thoughts go out to his family, friends and of course the bowler, Sean Abbott. Couldn't even start to imagine how he must be feeling right now.

****ing hell! I was hoping he would make a complete recovery.... This is just ****ing sad. They guy's only 25...

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Man there's some classless scum on this site. You are really trolling in a thread about an athlete who is in a critical condition after a sports injury? Really man? Scum of the ****ing earth you are.
    I don't recall trolling the injured (I guess deceased now) athlete by making a remark about the sport.

RIP to the Aussie though. He was my age, that's a shame. At least he went out balling at something he loved?

Really sad and unfortunate .

Some people are saying their should be reforms on safety but other than improving helmets which they already do it was a freak accident.

I don't know why people think they can make everything risk-free, or that unfortunate freak incidents such as this can ever be avoided. Cricket is and always will be a somewhat dangerous game because it is based around one guy using a very hard ball to harass and pepper the batsman. It can't be made any safer without ruining it (other than as you point out, improving helmet technology).

I don't know how you ever come back from that the same. It's not his fault in any way but how do you ever bowl the short ball again? He would have been on the moon about making the t20 and odi appearances this summer aswell.
    Will be really hard. It affects the mentality. As a fast bowler bowling a short ball you really do want to hurt the batsman, to hit him on the body, to intimidate and scare him, and after this it is going to be really difficult to maintain the aggression needed from a good fast bowler.

High School Starter

It's sad. But I don't really care.

Herd behavior. Unfortunate situation but there's people dying of similar types of accidents/worse every hour and they don't get any press or "RIP" comments from total, complete strangers.

What news like this does...is make people FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES.
    And we know it's true. Famous athlete dies...people who read it feel fortunate that they are alive and better about themselves, how lucky they are. This sort of news registers mostly as entertainment for the masses.

This crap is not newsworthy, its overemphasis in the news de-emphasizes the seriousness and privacy of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeCee15

Herd behavior. Unfortunate situation but there's people dying of similar types of accidents/worse every hour and they don't get any press or "RIP" comments from total, complete strangers.

And we know it's true. Famous athlete dies...people who read it feel fortunate that they are alive and better about themselves, how lucky they are. This sort of news registers mostly as entertainment for the masses.

This crap is not newsworthy, its overemphasis in the news de-emphasizes the seriousness and privacy of the situation.
    Your absolutely right. No one wants to hear the truth though in these kinds of situations... It kind of bugs me how everyone is getting around it, these things happen we don't need to make the man out as a saint. I guess thats the way it is though. You won't see me grieving or making a status on facebook like the masses are. It happened, I acknowledged it, and thats that.

Banned

If you don't care then don't post? I get your point but it is newsworthy for his fans and for people who have followed his career for the last 6 or 7 years. I know what you mean though with how celebrities die and a bunch of people start instagraming a random hashtag regardless of if they even knew who the person was but it's still a newsworthy event for people who follow cricket. There's a thing going on now where people are putting their cricket bats on their doorstep for him, I get the sign of respect but that kind of thing I wouldn't do and I think is kind of what you are talking about.

Anyway they are saying what happened was a freak injury that has only been recorded around 100 times before in the medical field and only once before as a result of a cricket ball, something about the artery being split.

Technically you're right. But, if one of your idols or favorite basketball players died due to a fatal injury in the sport itself I'm sure you'd be apart of the thousands of fans that exist in showing support.

You do know that if you don't care that you can just ignore it, right? The guy was a legit good guy (outside of cricket) and a good player as well. Also, it doesn't make me feel better AT ALL. I felt terrible the whole of yesterday. If you don't care about the issue, you really didn't have a reason to post.

It's not even about fandom. It's about losing a great guy doing something he loved. He died doing something almost everyone who has played cricket has done, play a bouncer. It's a really shitty situation, especially considering his age. I don't think it's silly or weak for people to identify with this and feel heart broken.