Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Australian Cricketer Phil Hughes in a critical condition after being struck in a game

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket...-1227134397193

There's a few people I've spoken to here about cricket so I thought I'd post this. Hughes was hit in the head below his helmet yesterday by a bouncer by Sean Abbott and had to be resuscitated on the field, he's had surgery and is still listed as critical.

Really sad and I hope he pulls through, he had a good shot at making next weeks first test against India.
    Last edited by outbreak; 11-25-2014 at 05:43 PM.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Default Re: Australain Cricketer Phil Hughes in a critical condition after being struck in a game

This shit is so scary, I've been hit before (obviously not at that pace, closer to 60mph than 85) and you don't really feel it, so you think you're invincible. Then something like this happens every 5 years or so and you start practicing your ducking again. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Banned

Default Re: Australain Cricketer Phil Hughes in a critical condition after being struck in a game

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    This shit is so scary, I've been hit before (obviously not at that pace, closer to 60mph than 85) and you don't really feel it, so you think you're invincible. Then something like this happens every 5 years or so and you start practicing your ducking again. Hope he makes a full recovery.
    I've never been hit in the head playing, been hit in the ribs and the like and that's bad enough and I've never faced anything close to real pace. My Dad was hit in the head fielding in close back in the day and had to be taken to hospital with a concussion. No damage though luckily.

Some of the media has been pretty disgraceful with this too, one outlet was tweeting they couldn't confirm if he was actually alive any more and others were trying to get past security and screens that were trying to stop the press from getting photos while the paramedics worked on him at the ground.

Cricket is dangerous man. You just don't know when you'll get hit but when you do its over.

Banned

Still in a critical condition and in an induced coma. Their now investigating why the ambulance which only had to come 800metres took over 20 minutes to arrive and why the ambulance service say they weren't called for 15 minutes but the officials at the ground say they had to call a second time to get an ambulance to actually come.

****ing dangerous sport... I've known guys who've been clean hit and it ain't pretty. Makes you think in some of the test matches where the fielders come extremely close around the batsmen... Usually when its a spin bowler, if the batsmen gets a clean hit you'd be praying not to be destroyed by the ball

Even catching a cricket ball can hurt your hands if you don't use the right technique. It's like baseball without the gloves

they said he got hit in the back of the head ? not good not good at all

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Even catching a cricket ball can hurt your hands if you don't use the right technique. It's like baseball without the gloves
    Cricket balls are harder than baseballs too. Plus people are trying to hit you. It's really the one sport I can think of I'd be physically scared to face a professional in. Maybe car/motorbike racing too I guess.

It honestly IS that dangerous. Stepping up at bat against a pitcher for baseball and a bowler in cricket is two different scenarios. I'll be scared shitless too. How much do these guys get paid anyways?

Hindi baseball

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    It honestly IS that dangerous. Stepping up at bat against a pitcher for baseball and a bowler in cricket is two different scenarios. I'll be scared shitless too. How much do these guys get paid anyways?
    With the IPL (indian premier league) top players can make decent money these days. Pay is nothing like NBA though, if I recall correctly Clarke is making like 6mil a year and he's our captain and would have the most lucrative endorsement deals. Hughes had a central contract with cricket australia so he would have been making a bit but it would be far from anything crazy. don't know what kind of IPL deal he had but he's not known for his t20 game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    Hindi baseball
    Man there's some classless scum on this site. You are really trolling in a thread about an athlete who is in a critical condition after a sports injury? Really man? Scum of the ****ing earth you are.

Banned

Just announced that he has passed away. Such a shock and sad incident. I wonder what will come of the inquiry into the ambulance times as it was mentioned immediate treatment is extremely important in a head injury like this.

Is this the first death?