Default Scottie Pippen talks about the current NBA rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7U8_LoyxSM

He's right on all counts IMO.

NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

Default Re: Scottie Pippen talks about the current NBA rules

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7U8_LoyxSM

He's right on all counts IMO.
    i love it. its so funny how the majority of teams don't realize how much worse these guys are going to their left. just look at this series. kobe can't make his jumper consistently going left. why is thibodeau the only guys that sees this?

seriously though....the current rules make it almost impossible to guard great scorers. i honestly don't know how you can stop them.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Scottie's voice always about blows my subwoofer

I didn't watch the NBA for a few years because of work, and then I put a game on, and it was so weird how the offensive player, (I forgot who) was able to just go by his guy almost without trying. I wasn't really aware of the rule changes, and it left me feeling that I would be able to play in the NBA game if I was tall enough. For me limiting the defense makes it an uglier game, but this is business and the NBA needs stars. Blame money.

Decent playground baller

Just another Bitter Old NBA head.

Scottie Pippen couldnt hold Kobe Or Lebron Jock strap.

80's 90's any rules any place any where

Quote Originally Posted by ginobli2311
    i love it. its so funny how the majority of teams don't realize how much worse these guys are going to their left. just look at this series. kobe can't make his jumper consistently going left. why is thibodeau the only guys that sees this?

seriously though....the current rules make it almost impossible to guard great scorers. i honestly don't know how you can stop them.
    With the oldschool rules, I'd love to see how todays perimeter stars would fair. They would STILL be GREAT, obviously, but all this talk about 'Zone Defense' and how the defenses are "more advanced" is laughable. Theres no resistance today, none.

NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    With the oldschool rules, I'd love to see how todays perimeter stars would fair. They would STILL be GREAT, obviously, but all this talk about 'Zone Defense' and how the defenses are "more advanced" is laughable. Theres no resistance today, none.
    defense overall is just as good better in today's game. mainly because so many players can't shoot....and also the lack of any skilled big men in the post. but perimeter players have a huge advantage. like you said....guys like wade/kobe/lebron would still be great.....but not nearly as efficient.

and then you have a guy like nash that would be significantly worse in the 90s.....

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

The funny thing is the people on ISH who invoke handchecking the most are the people who diminish Pippen the most. They will sing songs about how every perimeter player under the sun from the 90's would be better now statistically while those from today would be worse in the 90's yet mysteriously you NEVER see them mention the handchecking spiel when Pippen is compared--unfavorably by them--to current players. Pip is the only 90's perimeter player who mysteriously would be worse today, even though he was the best perimeter player of the decade after Jordan. Oh well. The GOAT perimeter defender himself has spoken and taken their side on this so they will cheer his comment even though they will then compare him offensively to people like Odom or Prince when he was in reality a top 10 scorer in the league in his prime without MJ, despite being asked to run the offense (in other words, pass the ball off a lot instead of focusing just on scoring) while anchoring the defense. Remember 95' Pippen? He had to do EVERYTHING for that team before MJ came back in 95'.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 06-11-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Local High School Star hwliuLAP's Avatar

so 1 on 1 defense is going less, and team help defense is coming alive.

sounds like high level of basketball to me.

Decent playground baller

Old school rules made boys men. Today's rules make stars wear diapers. (diaper dandy - Dick Vitale).

Phil Jackson has said, on record, that Michael Jordan could have averaged 50 ppg for an entire season if he played with these weak rules to make up for lost excitement once MJ retired.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnofJPR
    Phil Jackson has said, on record, that Michael Jordan could have averaged 50 ppg for an entire season if he played with these weak rules to make up for lost excitement once MJ retired.
    i never heard this. when did he say this?

Quote Originally Posted by bada bing
    i never heard this. when did he say this?
    several years ago...nevertheless, it is common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnofJPR
    50's pushing it.

40? I can see it. On good % too.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AirGauge23
    50's pushing it.

40? I can see it. On good % too.
    Yeah, I mean not like he ever put up 37 on 48% the year after a nasty ankle injury, or 35 per on 53%.

Seriously, I wasn't around for those late 80s MJ years, well I was but I was like 6 years old, but those numbers just floor me. I want to watch those entire seasons. Friggin 35 points a night on 53%?!