Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why does Middle America hate the NBA

And yet like a league with more thugs then the NBA?

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease spursrule's Avatar

Default Re: Why does Middle America hate the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron Bryant
    And yet like a league with more thugs then the NBA?
    what are you talking about? Examples?

Middle America and rural areas dislike the NBA because there are too many Black players.

The NFL has lots of black players too (who by the way are far more thuggish than anything in the NBA), but the NFL gets around this because the face of each team is usually the QB. And Quarterbacks are disproportionately white.

Therefore rural areas love the NFL, while fostering ridiculous stereotypes and hatred towards the NBA, based on ideas that are overwhelming untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    Middle America and rural areas dislike the NBA because there are too many Black players.

The NFL has lots of black players too (who by the way are far more thuggish than anything in the NBA), but the NFL gets around this because the face of each team is usually the QB. And Quarterbacks are disproportionately white.

Therefore rural areas love the NFL, while fostering ridiculous stereotypes and hatred towards the NBA, based on ideas that are overwhelming untrue.
    yea, thats now two threads you dont know what the hell you are talking about in.

Banned

I live in the midwest, and this just isn't true. It's just a cultural thing. Kid's are brought up into different sports. If what you say was true, then Utah would be among the most anti-NBA areas in America, and it definitely isn't.

I think the bigger reason is that in nfl, everyone has a helmet on and are covered for the most part. You can't see any of the player's faces and the focus is on the QB as you said. The other guys are easy to overlook when you can't even see their faces while crouching down in front of the QB, and their tattoos are also all covered up with their protective gear.

In the NBA, people can see the faces of the players and their tattoos as clear as anything. In this country, tattoos usually equate thuggish behavior. Every part of a football player's body is covered except for the two arms. The short-sleeves takes care of covering up to the elbow, and a lot of them even cover up more of their arms with the team gear so you can't even see half of their arms in most cases. You can't easily tell if a player is thuggish or not in nfl.

I usually hit open layups emaugust's Avatar

That point is dumb. Middle america is not racist. Teams exist based on the potential fans available in the markets. Places that don't have pro teams support college athletics in both football and basketball. Middle america while not very successful, has a pretty good tradition of basketball I think.

Do these maps look similar?

So yeah, this thread kinda sucks.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Yep. Seems some people don't have the intellectual sophistication to understand this.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease spursrule's Avatar

Stupid thread.

I love basketball, I like football, but readily admit both are thought to be more important than they really are in the grand scheme of things.

Why someone would want to compare the two sports fans and try to tease out racism ("middle america") is just a huge waste of time. But whatever floats your boat.

Operat.Northwoods=9/11 Horde of Temujin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    yea, thats now two threads you dont know what the hell you are talking about in.

You care to enlighten us then? at least he offered an idea, more than what can be said for you.

i think its the same reason Middle America supports a political party that doesn't benefit them, only the rich. They're sheep

Wut? Nobody outside of the US likes NFL. In US football is what the WORLD calls American football. Deal with it...also OP what you said is untrue, they just like soccer better...

I live in rural middle America, and here is what people say about the NBA.

-it's not the same since Jordan left (I hear this the most)
    -it's all flash. No fundamentals
    -they don't play any defense
    -the same teams win all the time. Too predictable
    -they play for the money, and they are greedy

Also, outside the NFL, I don't get a sense that people get into a pro sport when there isn't a local team.

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

I think it has more to do with the NBA as a league catering/advertising/marketing to an inner city audience. The focus on the hip hop culture surrounding the game almost exclusively.

The NFL caters to a much more middle-of-the-road crowd.

Its amazing how many posters we have within this thread that are so scared of the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981

-it's not the same since Jordan left (I hear this the most)
    -it's all flash. No fundamentals
    -they don't play any defense
    -the same teams win all the time. Too predictable
    -they play for the money, and they are greedy
    Oh so that's why the US haven't dominated the world in basketball LOL.