Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #31
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Is there a recipe for beating GSW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Lakers
You canít trap Durant in a zone. Heís too tall, too lengthy, too skilled. Heís too good in the high post. Also again, when you try and take away Warriors dribble-drive you leave great shooters on an island they will score. Golden State is more that happy to beat teams outside. They run plenty of triangle for this reason. How many times do you see Klay wide open in the corner? It doesnít matter how you try and stop them, Curry and Durant are too skilled to be stopped by any zone defense you throw at them. And the team is completely unselfish. They always find the open guy. Itís crazy.

You are right that zone defense vs Warriors is not a good idea. Man-on-man is the best way to go. You can sag off of Draymond/Iggy a bit for some help defense, but it would have to be quick switch, trap/screen or double-team, and back. You don't want to leave those 2 open for too long - Draymond especially is good at pick-and-rolls and doing some damage off the ball.

Houston vs GSW was a good blueprint of how you can beat the Warriors. Issue was Houston had limited depth, which cost them severely, and CP3 getting hurt. CP3 is injury-prone so that will always be an issue moving forward. Anyways, as others mentioned Houston was good at switching and bringing some defensive prowess to match what the Warriors had going. It was Houston's defense and not offense that pushed it to a game 7. I don't expect that to happen again with Melo added to the team.

I also felt I saw Warriors getting rattled a bit and going away from their game. Especially Durant. Something was bit off there. I don't quite know what or why. Houston was definitely being physical so that could have been one of the things making the Warriors bit uncomfortable. They have not dealt with a physical trifecta of center/sf/pg before in playoff series. Hell, I can't forget about Tucker too. That's 4 starting players who were physical and in-your-face sort of defenders. I saw some screens, traps and double-teams by them, but much of it was solid mano-a-mano defense by Houston.

I don't care what anyone says, but Houston is going to miss that. They took a step backwards adding Melo.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #32
LA Lakers
High School Varsity 6th Man

The Lakers best lineup last year was when Luke Walton went ultra small ball in crunch time with Lonzo, KCP, Ingram, Kuzma and Randle. It was that lineup that gave the Warriors hell. We just replaced Julius Randle with Lebron James. But in a 7 game series, none of our potential young stars in the making have any experience whatsoever. Yes Lebron automatically makes the team much better, but the Warriors have so much playoff and championship experience. I like Lonzos overall game but until he starts shooting better than 44% from the free throw line I wouldnít be sure about a7 game series against Stephen Curry. Ingram I think has the most potential, but again, hasnít had his breakout year yet. Kuzma is already a really good player but is he that good that he is ready for that kind of a challenge? Rondo has great vet experience and can still make plays but historically heís been avg if not below avg shooter at bench. He wonít bring you points from his scoring but from his passing and cutting to spots he likes at this point in his career. McGee is fine. He provides energy, Lopez would have been a perfect for Lebron a 7 footer most effective in the half court who can spread the floor and knock down 3s all day. Oh well. McGee will provide some up and down action. Lance Stephenson the horse whisperer? I donít see it this year, but anything is possible
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #33
Milbuck
Buck Dynasty

It'd basically have to be something similar to the Rockets, except just a bit better. Shit, the Rockets were right there even with CP3's injury and Moute's shoulder injury making him unplayable.

Need extremely versatile switch defenders who can shut down most of GSW's off-ball actions and won't get murked by mismatches. You need multiple superstar talents and preferably perimeter guys, not centers, who you can stagger in lineups to give you 48 minutes of elite creation. You need to then shoot a shitload of 3s to play the variance game and give you a puncher's chance.

I think the Rockets with a younger version of CP3 would've gotten it done.
Milbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #34
dreamwarrior
Good High School Starter

Be the Lakers + Lebron. The Lakers have won 20% of their games vs GSW over the past 5 seasons while the league average was 22% over the same span. The kicker is that on average they ranked as the 26th best team in the league while playing like they were the 16th best team in the league vs the Warriors, including being only 1 of the 9 time to beat GSW in their record season. Something about playing GSW brings out the best in the Lakers. Just wait and see ;)
dreamwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #35
LA Lakers
High School Varsity 6th Man

They lost two key role players in Ariza and Ma bMoute. Iím looking at Houstonís depth chart Iím only seeing 4 out of 5 guys on the roster to start against Golden State. they only have 2 starting front court spots on their roster. You canít start PJ Tucker at the 4. They are too undersized to match up against Golden State. Carmelo looked a little washed up too me in the playoffs until I see otherwise.
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:39 AM   #36
fiddy
Raider of Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
You cant be dumb enough to ask this?

Not anymore there isn't.

In the past they got their shut pushed in every post-season and then won after the opponent got injured or refs turned the tide (last year's finals)
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:38 AM   #37
soots
I rule the local playground

Houston beat them healthy.

With Cousins, its either going to be impossible, or more likely easier with his cancerous gifted ass
soots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:42 AM   #38
I<3NBA
NBA sixth man of the year

a 3 and D wing (Ariza)
a small ball center to match up to Draymond (Capela and Tucker)
a PG who can make Steph work on the defensive end (Harden and CP3 took turns exploiting Steph)

trying to outshoot GSW is a bad idea. If Houston stopped throwing those bricks in game 7 and instead leaned on their lead by going to the paint, they could have won that game. It was just stupid coaching.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #39
kurple
5-time NBA All-Star

Nuggets is the only team with a winning record against GSW during the Jokic/Durant era
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #40
hold this L
d-y-n-a-s-t-y

- 2 way players, at least 4/5
- ability to switch defensively, great guard win defenders
- try to tire curry defensively, work to ensure he doesn't score over 30
- do not trap curry, 1v1 everything
- Houston showed a recipe for beating the warriors. Set the series so KD does a ton of isos. He can go off for 1-2 games and win them, but over a series you can beat them since there's no rhythm.
- Let KD drive THEN double him. that seems like the time where KD has tunnel vision and doesn't pass, taking very hard shots.

Rockets basically did this. Tire Curry hoping he doesn't kill them w his offense, 1v1 everyone, and set up their defense with the last 2 points I mentioned.

The biggest factor this year is injuries though.
hold this L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #41
Phoenix
Behold the Trollslayer

Houston got pretty damn close last year, who knows what happens if CP3 doesn't get injured but s**t happens.

I think Boston has an ideal squad for challenging GS but they need another year or two of seasoning together. First, they've got a PG in Kyrie who, while nobody would argue is a better player than Steph in terms of impact, can battle him to a virtual draw in a series. Then you have a bunch of athletic young defenders to throw at KD who will only be improved on offense as well. Tatum has superstar all over him and may be a 20+ppg this year. I'm wondering if Boston tries to move Hayward for a good return to remove some of that glut at the 3.

Boogie is the wildcard here, how does he return from injury, does he disrupt chemistry? Can Steph hold up to season's end? All of these are issues... the Warriors IMHO have a degree of vulnerability when they become too reliant on KD iso-balling. Much less ball movement and then the supporting stars like Draymond and Klay are lessened without that kind of gravity that Steph brings to the table.
Phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #42
tamaraw08
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Houston got pretty damn close last year, who knows what happens if CP3 doesn't get injured but s**t happens.

I think Boston has an ideal squad for challenging GS but they need another year or two of seasoning together. First, they've got a PG in Kyrie who, while nobody would argue is a better player than Steph in terms of impact, can battle him to a virtual draw in a series. Then you have a bunch of athletic young defenders to throw at KD who will only be improved on offense as well. Tatum has superstar all over him and may be a 20+ppg this year. I'm wondering if Boston tries to move Hayward for a good return to remove some of that glut at the 3.

Boogie is the wildcard here, how does he return from injury, does he disrupt chemistry? Can Steph hold up to season's end? All of these are issues... the Warriors IMHO have a degree of vulnerability when they become too reliant on KD iso-balling. Much less ball movement and then the supporting stars like Draymond and Klay are lessened without that kind of gravity that Steph brings to the table.
Yes, I agree Boston has the best chance right now of beating GSW. Their biggest concerns are injuries.
Kyrie can be a little too brittle at times, but it'll be a very exciting Finals if him and his teammates remain healthy. Durant might will probably get his usual numbers, although I think he might have 1-2 bad games when he settles to jumpers too much.
I see Smart being very physical on Steph
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #43
tamaraw08
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurple

Nuggets is the only team with a winning record against GSW during the Jokic/Durant era

Are you sure?
Series tied last season 2-2 including one game when Curry didn't play.
2 years ago, GSW took the series 2-1,
3 years ago, Denver beat the Warriors ONE TIME, by 2 pts and that was without Durant.
I like the Nuggets roster even before Millsap got there but defense has been letting them down, losing to bad teams like last season.
I think, they will either be very good or they have a bad start and fire Malone after 25 games or so.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #44
LAVAR BALL
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Lakers
The sad reality is that despite the fact that the league has so much talent, especially in the West, Iím hearing mention of Utah and OKC. Talent no doubt, but they simply donít have the unselfish passing that golden state has. Mark Jackson and Steve Kerr beat the fundamentals into them; find the open guy at all times. They are more unselfish than 95% of the league. Combine that with their depth of size and athleticism and I just donít see anyone beating them next season. If Chris Paul is on the court for game 6 and game 7 last year, itís a great ďwhat ifĒ for the history books. I think that might be the closest we see any team come to stopping them on this run theyíre on. We shall see.

There is something there: The W's found the perfect balance between sharing and passing the ball. That is what make them so dangerous. They epitomize at best what can be seens as a 5 headed monster because even the 5th guy on the floor may reach a good amount of shot if he is forgotten by the defense.

This has been seen during a curious stretch in last year's playoffs, specifically G1 against Houston, and the Utah series: KD suddenly stopped passing. This change of attitude suddenly unbalanced the Warriors offense (well, not too much cause he is..you know... KD) but even Krr felt like he had to restore it, cause Houston would have capitalied on it one way or another. Their unselfishness is their blueprint.

And about how to beat them...a quick recipe i thought about:

- Be the 2017-2018 Houston rockets
- Don't Miss 27 straight 3s during G7
LAVAR BALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #45
tpols
we already won

People keep mentioning Houston but problem there is iggy was out. With iggy in, harden and Paul would see him instead of their iso mismatcheson David west and the like.

The truth is to beat them, they would have to be hurt and unmotivated.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: