Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Bill "no muscle" Russell

Dude wouldn't do **** against contemporary NBA athletes. He was what, 6'8, 220? That's barely SF size in today's league.

He'd get merked by the beast C's of the modern game. Agree?

Default Re: Bill "no muscle" Russell

Instead of posting random, off topic nonsense, why don't you actually contribute to the topic at hand?

Bill Russell played in a weak era against weak competition. He had NO skills that would elevate him above the level of Marcus Camby. Jumpshot? No. Post game? No. Ball handling skills? No. Court vision? No.

Tell me what makes this guy anything more than a skinny clone of Big Ben.

Decent college freshman gotbacon23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfPlace
    Instead of posting random, off topic nonsense, why don't you actually contribute to the topic at hand?

Bill Russell played in a weak era against weak competition. He had NO skills that would elevate him above the level of Marcus Camby. Jumpshot? No. Post game? No. Ball handling skills? No. Court vision? No.

Tell me what makes this guy anything more than a skinny clone of Big Ben.
    How many times have you seen bill russell play to make these assertions about his skill level?

Quote Originally Posted by gotbacon23
    How many times have you seen bill russell play to make these assertions about his skill level?
    I own season footage. My conclusion from many hours of intensive studying of that footage? "No Skill" Bill would be warming a bench today. A bench somewhere in Europe.

Learning to shoot layups

I own season footage. My conclusion from many hours of intensive studying of that footage? "No Skill" Bill would be warming a bench today. A bench somewhere in Europe.

Does it matter if he could play today? No of course not. Thats like me saying a sword is absolutely useless today because we have guns.... duh!

The man won an incredible amount of titles and worked his ase off to become a great winner and one of the first well known black basketball players. Have some respect.

Wait first he would be Ben Wallace level, and now he woudl be on a bench in Europe? Wow. How ignorant can you get?

And too bad recent history pisses on you're assumptions. Russell is actually a little bigger than Dennis Rodman who in his prime just 10 years back while being a lockdown defender and great rebounder with no offensive skills and not having Russell's ability to block shots and was nearly an all-star, won a few DPOYs and multiple rebounding titles. Seeing that Rusell coudl do all that while being a better scorer and passer than Rodman I see no way to think he wouldn't put up 10-15 points (depending on the team) with 15-18 rebounds and 4-5 assists, while playing by far the best defense in the league. He would probably have to make a switch over from the center position to the 4, but he'd be fine.

^

The embarassing thing is that Camby actually shoots 45% in a stronger era, while being similar in shot blocking, rebounding, defense and passing. And he's not even a top 10 C.

Learning to shoot layups

In other words, you can't debate so you're trying to make it a **** slinging contest instead?
    Im fine debating actually I would prefer it that way. Its hard to debate when someone offers an argument with no real evidence and seems to refuse to respect one of the greatest sportsman ever - in his era.

Individually i think Prime Karl Malone is a much better player than Bill Russell, and if he actually played in the 60's i think he is capable of winning 10 or more NBA Championships because he is the 2nd greatest scorer in the history of the NBA, decent rebounder, and a very underrated defender.

Russell's team was composed of several NBA All Stars, and their are also a few NBA Teams during that time. ( Max of 14 or 16 teams)

National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Wait first he would be Ben Wallace level, and now he woudl be on a bench in Europe? Wow. How ignorant can you get?

And too bad recent history pisses on you're assumptions. Russell is actually a little bigger than Dennis Rodman who in his prime just 10 years back while being a lockdown defender and great rebounder with no offensive skills and not having Russell's ability to block shots and was nearly an all-star, won a few DPOYs and multiple rebounding titles. Seeing that Rusell coudl do all that while being a better scorer and passer than Rodman I see no way to think he wouldn't put up 10-15 points (depending on the team) with 15-18 rebounds and 4-5 assists, while playing by far the best defense in the league. He would probably have to make a switch over from the center position to the 4, but he'd be fine.
    HaHaHa

Bill is a Top 10-12 Center of All Time (NOT A TOP 5!!!). The Innovator of Defensive Schemes and One of The Greatest Frontline Defender of All Time with Hakeem. Also a Great Rebounder and Good Passer but ofcourse he was not a Great Offensive Player. He was ala Rodman with a Better Court Vision and Game Notion.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

i never saw bill russell play

but if i am to imagine, he would be a more intense, more muscular and overall better player tayshaun prince

i dont think that anyone would claim that tayshaun gets owned by many guys in todays game-- and he is a pretty skinny guy

all the more for russ

Retired ISH Legend

He's got more rings than he has fingers

Dude wouldn't do **** against contemporary NBA athletes. He was what, 6'8, 220? That's barely SF size in today's league.

He'd get merked by the beast C's of the modern game. Agree?
    First off: IF BILL RUSSELL WOULD GET "MERKED" BY MODERN CENTERS, IT WOULDN'T MATTER BECAUSE IT'S A MOOT POINT.

You don't judge players against another 40 years removed because of the progression of the game, and the sport lifestyle. The only accurate judge is how they did against their peers, because only those guys played during the same time in the same game with the same rules and climate. Anybody who actually thinks that Bill is overrated because of some hypothetical matchup is too stupid to have his opinion be worth anything.

I honestly think people like you are too dumb to be a fan of any sport. You don't deserve to be a fan of basketball.
    Last edited by Showtime; 08-02-2008 at 03:27 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

First of all Russell wasn't 220 for most of his career. I'm sure that's what he weighed coming out of college and it was never updated like many weights.

Second of all Russell was pretty much a legit 6-10 which would be like 6-11 today considering how off many listings are.

Third of all Russell was a great athlete. Just check out the play where Jerry West appears to have an easy lay up and Bill Russell catches up to him and blocks the shot.

And then factor in Russell's excellent basketball IQ. He was the best there ever was at blocking a shot, keeping it in play and starting a fastbreak. Despite a limited offensive game he was also a strong passer.

Russell was easily as bulky if not more so than Marcus Camby
    He was about 3 inches taller than Ben Wallace
    He was the same height as Alonzo Mourning, Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudemire

Then consider the fact that I've heard his wingspan was about 7'4" and from everything I've heard he always gave 100% on the court.

There is NO reason to think Russell couldn't be successful in the league today.

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    he's from a weak measure era
    Those tape measures can't...errr...measure up...to today's standards.